Can MS run a Magneto ?

This forum is for the discussion of other projects on Megasquirt/Microsquirt hardware that don't fit into any of the other forums

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

jeffmarsh750
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Can MS run a Magneto ?

Post by jeffmarsh750 »

Wanting to install 2 magnetos on Top Fuel Harley dragbike but want an ignition control table. Is there any way to build an electronic points box that is controlled by the MS like MSD does. Maybe just a high current ground driver ?, I think the magneto is AC current. If any body has any Ideas on how to do this it would be awesome.
Thanks, Jeff
Fastest MS powered vehicle on the planet ! 6.60@208mph
old guy
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: Can MS run a Magneto ?

Post by old guy »

I think it would be pretty difficult, because most magnetos I have messed with have the points timed to where the armature and the magnet are in their maximum magnetic flux.
I think if you started moving the timing around you would get out this area and the output would suffer.
I know MSD does it on the high dollar top fuel mags, but I have no idea how they do it.
Have always wanted to have a look inside one of those monsters.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

The "electronic points box" would be a suitable switching transistor, probably an IGBT, but you'll need to know what sort of voltage and current is being run through the existing trigger to spec out the right parts.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
jeffmarsh750
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by jeffmarsh750 »

thanks for the replies. I think the capacitor helps with storing energy so timing can be moved around a bit. Will try to get a hold of a magneto and do some testing. Building a test bench for thisand testing various systems. will report back with some data.
jeffmarsh750
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by jeffmarsh750 »

OK, I think I know why it will be almost impossible. The current that would have to be controlled is 45 amps of 800 volts ac current.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

The A/C part is a bit problematic. You might be able to use thyristors.

Looks like that magneto probably requires at least 15 hp to drive it, with that power output! :shock:
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
LAV1000
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by LAV1000 »

Matt Cramer wrote:The A/C part is a bit problematic. You might be able to use thyristors.

Looks like that magneto probably requires at least 15 hp to drive it, with that power output! :shock:
How does this sum up ?
Just curious.
jeffmarsh750
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by jeffmarsh750 »

I just don't think it can be done easily at this point. We could use 2 MSD electronic points boxes controlled by Megasquirt but they are known to fail as well and the flux will not be ligned up perfectly if retarding or advancing the timing. After talking to a magneto guy he said to run traditional points and rotate the base of the mag/distributor with pneumatics on a collar. Odd fire V twin would use 1 mag per cylinder so 2 are required. All problems solved.