FAST Crank Trigger

This forum is for the discussion of other projects on Megasquirt/Microsquirt hardware that don't fit into any of the other forums

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Raymond_B
Super MS/Extra'er

FAST Crank Trigger

Post by Raymond_B »

Was looking at this and wondering why only a 4 tooth wheel? I understand it is for a 90 deg V-8, but the OEM wheels I see posted on this board have quite a few more teeth.

http://www.fuelairspark.com/fas/crank-t ... ancerhtml/
1995 Ford Lightning. Dart based 427 Windsor, Novi 2000, full sequential, E-85, etc. MS3X/v3.57
http://www.buildpics.org/
old guy
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: FAST Crank Trigger

Post by old guy »

That unit is highly overpriced, much like everything that FAST sells. And the description is pure BS. Show me any OEM that is using a 4 tooth trigger wheel. With a 4 tooth wheel your park resolution is not that great.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Because FAST was not able to code an every tooth wheel decoder for their XFI. Not sure if this is a limitation on their processor or its firmware.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
ashford
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ashford »

is it just me or is that a ford modular cam position sensor
Six_Shooter
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Six_Shooter »

Because on a V8 crank attached trigger wheel for ignition duties, 4 poles are all that is needed to coincide with the TDC events of each cylinder. If you look in the dizzy of many V8s, you will see 8 poles on the reluctor because the dizzy spins at half the speed of the crank.

These are used for simply ignition trigger duties, usually to ignition boxes, where there is still a dizzy involved distributing the spark to each cylinder. The crank trigger is simply to provide the TDC trigger event for the ignition box (or ECM) to know when a cylinder is at TDC and nothing more.

MSD also sells a very similar trigger wheel for the same purposes.
Tha Toy: 1973 Datsun 240Z Turbocharged, and loads of fun, now MS'd
Tha Otha Toy: 1923 T-bucket Hot Rod, Currently Sniper'd
Tha Daily: 2005 Chevy Blazer
Tha Summer Daily: 1987 Buick Skyhawk hatchback
Tha Long Term Project: 1985 GMC S-10 Jimmy, hasn't been fun for a while