Arduino OLED Gauge Pod

This forum is for the discussion of other projects on Megasquirt/Microsquirt hardware that don't fit into any of the other forums

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

bajallama
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Arduino OLED Gauge Pod

Post by bajallama »

Thought I would share a cool little project I have been working on. All said and done I have less than $40 into it including a used Honeywell Pressure Transducer. I'm still working on the final appearance but so far it's turning out pretty neat! I think I saw something like this on the forums before but it was too expensive or something??

Iterations:

Laminar
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: Arduino OLED Gauge Pod

Post by Laminar »

bajallama wrote:Thought I would share a cool little project I have been working on. All said and done I have less than $40 into it including a used Honeywell Pressure Transducer. I'm still working on the final appearance but so far it's turning out pretty neat! I think I saw something like this on the forums before but it was too expensive or something??
Does this just take the signal from a sensor and display its scaled value? I haven't seen any of those on here (because if it stands on its own and doesn't feed or take anything from the MS then it's not super relevant to this board), but maybe you're thinking of this CAN gauge that includes a 1.5" OLED display, LEDs, ambient light sensor, a buzzer, microSD socket, PWM driver, stepper motor driver, 9 DoF sensor, temp and humidity sensor, baro sensor, and GPS module. I think the features justify the cost. Or maybe this one; both of these interface with the MS through CAN, though, which your device doesn't appear to do.
bajallama
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by bajallama »

Laminar wrote:
bajallama wrote:Thought I would share a cool little project I have been working on. All said and done I have less than $40 into it including a used Honeywell Pressure Transducer. I'm still working on the final appearance but so far it's turning out pretty neat! I think I saw something like this on the forums before but it was too expensive or something??
Does this just take the signal from a sensor and display its scaled value? I haven't seen any of those on here (because if it stands on its own and doesn't feed or take anything from the MS then it's not super relevant to this board), but maybe you're thinking of this CAN gauge that includes a 1.5" OLED display, LEDs, ambient light sensor, a buzzer, microSD socket, PWM driver, stepper motor driver, 9 DoF sensor, temp and humidity sensor, baro sensor, and GPS module. I think the features justify the cost. Or maybe this one; both of these interface with the MS through CAN, though, which your device doesn't appear to do.
Yes as of now that is all it does but a CAN shield is in the future. I'm really all new to programming, but have been using MS for about 8 years now. I actually have not seen those yet but the first one I had seen a previous version. That gauge is really cool and is done very well but really don't need those options. The screen, Arduino Nano and PVC cost me less than $16.
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

with not a lot more hardware you can pull data from the ecu via serial as well
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
bajallama
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by bajallama »

grom_e30 wrote:with not a lot more hardware you can pull data from the ecu via serial as well
Is there a limit to the length of wire to where the data traveling through the serial bus is effected? I was looking into that if I wanted to remote mount the screen...
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

you need to build a ttl-rs232 adapter but that gives you proper serial level connection so using a 6ft serial cable between your gauge and the ecu will be fine. iv got a mega2560 pulling the full 498 bytes data stream from my ms3 and displaying certain info on a 3.2 lcd screen and that works pretty well
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
Zaphod
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Zaphod »

grom_e30 wrote:iv got a mega2560 pulling the full 498 bytes data stream from my ms3 and displaying certain info on a 3.2 lcd screen and that works pretty well
Please show us!
--------------------------------
fun is not a straight line

Sven
http://www.mx-5club-sachsen.de
http://miata.cardomain.com/id/svenmx5
NB-1998-1,6-Garrett T25 HGP Turbo Stage I
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

be kind.