Crank Sensor Mounting for SBF

This forum is for the discussion of other projects on Megasquirt/Microsquirt hardware that don't fit into any of the other forums

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Crank Sensor Mounting for SBF

Postby Raymond_B » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:35 pm

Thought I'd post this to go in tandem with the cam position sensor post for small block Fords.

A lot of the SBF guys will pick up an Explorer balancer along with other assorted parts to make fitting a crank sensor easier. With my combo I need to run an SFI balancer, different pulley, etc, etc. I could have fabbed something up or bought either a new or used MSD, Moroso, etc crank trigger kit and used the sensor bracket. But most of those kits are expensive. So I found a cheap Ebay knockoff of the MSD crank trigger kit (honestly I bet they are the same parts!) for 125.00.

Below is what I did.

Here it is mocked up, looks like I'll need a couple of 1.25" aluminum spacers, order appropriate ARP hardware, and have it all powder coated :) I ditched the sensor that came with the kit for a Cherry sensor (GS100502). I still need to drill the wheel for the pulley mounting bolts, but overall this was quite a bit easier than I thought it would be.

Ignore the sharpie marks I hadn't read that far in the manual yet :) I also need to fit my timing pointer.

1995 Ford Lightning. Dart based 427 Windsor, Novi 2000, full sequential, E-85, etc. MS3/3X
Friends don't let friends share tunes...
http://www.buildpics.org/
Raymond_B
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: Crank Sensor Mounting for SBF

Postby DonMaximo » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:43 am

Well done Ray !!

Looks great. I'm going in a similar path with an SBF.
1992 Mustang Conv,
363" Man-o-War (8.2"Deck), Dart Pro-1,
NA, EFI Victor,
TKO600, 373 gears,
MS3-Pro
Innovate DLG-1 (dual WB O2)
Ignition LS2 coil on plug (Crank trigger+ Explorer cam sensor)
DonMaximo
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Postby Raymond_B » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:06 am

Thanks! I need to get off my butt and get the trigger wheel all drilled and fitted.
1995 Ford Lightning. Dart based 427 Windsor, Novi 2000, full sequential, E-85, etc. MS3/3X
Raymond_B
Master MS/Extra'er

Postby Laminar » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:54 am

Cool stuff. I have a full Explorer engine and I've been trying to figure out what to do if I were to ever do a stroker kit, as most of those are 28oz and the Explorer is 50oz. I'm not sure if the crank pulley can just be rebalanced or not.
Laminar
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Postby Raymond_B » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:01 pm

Laminar wrote:Cool stuff. I have a full Explorer engine and I've been trying to figure out what to do if I were to ever do a stroker kit, as most of those are 28oz and the Explorer is 50oz. I'm not sure if the crank pulley can just be rebalanced or not.

I'd also keep in mind how durable the stock balancer would be at elevated power/RPM as well. I'm assuming the balancer and pulley are one unit right? Or do they come apart?
Raymond_B
Master MS/Extra'er

Return to Other Development