Getting started with Arduino and coding

This forum is for the discussion of other projects on Megasquirt/Microsquirt hardware that don't fit into any of the other forums

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

jsimmons
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Getting started with Arduino and coding

Post by jsimmons »

Learning how to code has been something that I have wanted to learn how to do for quite a while now. Up until this point I really had no practical use to learn it. What I'm trying to do isn't groundbreaking or anything like that just a fun little side project that I I can do when I have free time. I realize this isn't going to be an overnight thing and it may take me quite a while to do what I'm trying to accomplish. That being said here is what I'm trying to do. I would like to make my own I/o board for logging additional sensors and whatnot as well as set up a couple small displays so I can see data that my racepak can't display.

My first challenge being that I'm new to all this is getting set up with the correct board that will suit my needs. I was looking at the Arduino starter pack but I would like to try and get a board that will do everything I want the first go-around. I would like something that has a ton of I/o capability. I would like it to have the ability to do not only 0-5v analog sensors but also to monitor wheel speed and control solnoids for boost control traction control Etc. I would also like it's be able to run multiple lcd displays. I would like to do all this over can bus. Do you guys have any suggestions for a board that would suit my needs?

Ive been following along with some tutorials on you tube to help get me started with the coding aspect and would like to go ahead and get the things i need to start practicing writing and getting things working on a board.

Any help with this would be appreciated
Raymond_B
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Getting started with Arduino and coding

Post by Raymond_B »

My first micro controller was a Teensey, but remember things like Arduinos and Teenseys use a pretty high level interface. For what you want it sounds like you'll need something a bit more lower level that will take longer to learn. Perhaps James or Jean can word it better, but I think you know what I mean. Keep us posted I would love to know what you end up using.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1995 Ford Lightning. Dart based 427 Windsor, Novi 2000, full sequential, E-85, etc. MS3X/v3.57
http://www.buildpics.org/
jsimmons
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by jsimmons »

Raymond_B wrote:My first micro controller was a Teensey, but remember things like Arduinos and Teenseys use a pretty high level interface. For what you want it sounds like you'll need something a bit more lower level that will take longer to learn. Perhaps James or Jean can word it better, but I think you know what I mean. Keep us posted I would love to know what you end up using.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thabks for the reply and i think i understand what you mean. I guess my first quesrion should have been will the arduino work for what im looking to do. If not, where should i be looking. I understand that there will be a large learning curve but i think i could get it if i put in the effort so i would like to try. If it doesnt work out, no harm no foul the components are not that expensive. For what im wanting to do a simple add on like tinyox or microsquirt will not be enough and i would need 2 or 3 of them
jsimmons
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by jsimmons »

I should also add that the displays are not necessary or mandatory but i thought given the relatively cheap cost of them i would g9ve it a shot
Raymond_B
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Raymond_B »

Have a read over this if you haven't already. http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 23&t=61723 of course that's pulling in MS data over CAN, but reading voltages should be pretty easy. I think the most important thing is building the correct circuits to keep your micro controller safe.
1995 Ford Lightning. Dart based 427 Windsor, Novi 2000, full sequential, E-85, etc. MS3X/v3.57
jsimmons
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by jsimmons »

Raymond_B wrote:Have a read over this if you haven't already. http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 23&t=61723 of course that's pulling in MS data over CAN, but reading voltages should be pretty easy. I think the most important thing is building the correct circuits to keep your micro controller safe.
Tha ks i will give that a look. Do you feel it would be better to start with building a display or an i/o board for sensors. Either would be fine. If i start with the display aspect i would always use a tinyox and or a micro for ky added i/o and just sacrafice some things that are less important as i learn this process..
Raymond_B
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Raymond_B »

jsimmons wrote:
Raymond_B wrote:Have a read over this if you haven't already. http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 23&t=61723 of course that's pulling in MS data over CAN, but reading voltages should be pretty easy. I think the most important thing is building the correct circuits to keep your micro controller safe.
Tha ks i will give that a look. Do you feel it would be better to start with building a display or an i/o board for sensors. Either would be fine. If i start with the display aspect i would always use a tinyox and or a micro for ky added i/o and just sacrafice some things that are less important as i learn this process..
I do not think either is overly difficult, but again you'll want to research the circuits for an i/o board whereas a display is just a serial device.
jsimmons
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by jsimmons »

Ah ok i got you. Hopefully james or jean can point me in the correct direction. As for now ill keep looking and see what i can find out. Thanks again
jsimmons
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by jsimmons »

Ok so i ordered a arduino mega to play around with. also ordered a 5 inch tft screen (for when im ready for it). Now the last piece is a can bus shield. will this work? https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13262
Raymond_B
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Raymond_B »

jsimmons wrote:Ok so i ordered a arduino mega to play around with. also ordered a 5 inch tft screen (for when im ready for it). Now the last piece is a can bus shield. will this work? https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13262
Fancy :) Yeah that looks like it will do it.
jsimmons
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by jsimmons »

Well its actually a clone. I bought a starter kit off ebay that comes with some sensors and stepper motor and some other stuff. Enough to get me started. Once i get everything up and running and working ill probably buy a authentic arduino. This way i dont have to wprry about frying the board as much if i do something wrong lol. Should be a fun winter project. Cool thing is some of the sensor will actually be useful/relevant like 3 axis accelerometer some temp sensors ect.

The only thing that has me slightly clueless/worried at this point is some of the wiring and the can bus side of things
old guy
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by old guy »

If you go to the Sparkfun website they have a lot of excellent tutorials on using there products.
Also the Arduino forum is very good for answering any questions that you have. Just be sure to read the "How to use this forum" thread at the top of the forum, it will save you a lot of grief.
Also be specific in your questions, they don't know what a boost controller is, but they do know how the solenoid controlling a boost controller works.
The Arduino website also has some good tutorials on getting started with Arduino, such as installing the IDE ,which is your software for programming, managing libraries and other basic thing that are essential to get you up and running.
It all seems a little daunting at first, but take small steps and learn the basics, then move on to something a little harder. Don't try to build the space shuttle on your first try.
Hope this helps
jsimmons
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by jsimmons »

Very much so thanks. I have a basic understanding of programming but its very basic. I started doing simple text random number generated games using c++ a few uears ago but it was nothing fancy. Basic stuff really. The kit i bought comes with tutorials so ill do those to get a better understanding of things. Im sure ill be using their fourms a ton to help me along..
ol boy
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ol boy »

I used these guys http://www.4dsystems.com.au/

I was able to pull serial data and display it to the touch screen and log the data to the onboard uSD card. I can do PWM, ADC, SPI, I2C. I liked it.
306 SBFord, Torquer II EFI intake, 60 lbs injectors, 8 LS2 coils, VS Racing 7668 turbo, 4R70W, MS3x fw1.4 w/built in trans controller.