Keeping sufficient voltage to Wideband while cranking

This forum is for the discussion of other projects on Megasquirt/Microsquirt hardware that don't fit into any of the other forums

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

goodysgotacuda
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Keeping sufficient voltage to Wideband while cranking

Post by goodysgotacuda »

I have an Innovate LC-2 wideband on my MS3 and it will reset during cranking regardless if it is directly powered by the battery or not. At some point my voltage dips low enough for only the LC-2 to reboot and start the "warm-up" phase again.

Typically this is not an issue, however I want to improve my after-start enrichment tuning and my wideband is dead for the first 20-30s of runtime due to this issue.

I do not know anything about spec'ing a capacitor but my thought is that I should be able to put some sort of capacitor and diode on the LC2 +12v wire to help it remained powered up during the 2-3s of cold start cranking. Can anyone help me define what I should do?

I have started my engine with 2 batteries to help keep the cranking voltage up and the LC2 is just too sensitive and resets even with that much help.
1972 Plymouth 'Cuda - 5.7L Hemi w/T56 Magnum

MS3 Gold Box, TunerStudio MS/MegaLogViewerHD user
ol boy
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Keeping sufficient voltage to Wideband while cranking

Post by ol boy »

You can power the WBO2 on a separate battery. A 3S Lipo battery will do. around 2000mah will last for 1.5 hrs before it gets too low and the controller shuts off. I used lipos in the large scale RC airplanes to run the WBO2 system. Works well.

something like this.. $10 get like 5 of them to spread out the shipping. You can sort by location. You'll need to source a charger.
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-220 ... -pack.html
306 SBFord, Torquer II EFI intake, 60 lbs injectors, 8 LS2 coils, VS Racing 7668 turbo, 4R70W, MS3x fw1.4 w/built in trans controller.
440roadrunner
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 440roadrunner »

I think you have something "basic" wrong here. I ran one of those with no issues. What is your battery voltage during cranking, "right at" the battery? How is the thing grounded/ wired etc?
ol boy
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ol boy »

I have the same issue, during cranking voltage falls to low 10's long enough for the WBO2 controller to "reset". I'm also not using the standard lead acid battery either.
306 SBFord, Torquer II EFI intake, 60 lbs injectors, 8 LS2 coils, VS Racing 7668 turbo, 4R70W, MS3x fw1.4 w/built in trans controller.
goodysgotacuda
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by goodysgotacuda »

440roadrunner wrote:I think you have something "basic" wrong here. I ran one of those with no issues. What is your battery voltage during cranking, "right at" the battery? How is the thing grounded/ wired etc?
The Innovate LC-2 in my 1976 Warlock does the exact same thing. I am two for two on LC-2s and doing this.

I'll dip to 10v during cranking at the LC-2. I have powered it directly to the battery and it did not resolve the issue.

Raymond_B
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Raymond_B »

If wired up per the guidance wouldn't the O2 sensor shut off after the fuel pump prime and then power back up during cranking? Which means it needs some time to warm up. It seems to me wanting the O2 fully operational right when the engine fires is going to be awfully hard to do. Or maybe I am not understanding what you guys are doing?
1995 Ford Lightning. Dart based 427 Windsor, Novi 2000, full sequential, E-85, etc. MS3X/v3.57
http://www.buildpics.org/
ol boy
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ol boy »

If your trying to capture the AFR from cranking to running through ASE into WUE you need the WBO2 system working from key on, until it's warm and during cranking. Thats what we are trying to do.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Having a fully heated sensor before starting the engine is not recommended because you risk thermal shock of the sensor. If that is not an issue for you, there are other controllers that will work at a lower voltage than the 10V quoted above for the LC2.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
Blown88GT
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Blown88GT »

1988 Mustang GT, 59k miles, Orig Owner
ProCharger 600B I/C, 12psi, FRP Hdrs, Flwmstr F2, 3G Alt, Contour Fan & DCC, 3.55's, Prog Sprg, Subfms, UCA, LCA, FCA, Tokico 5's, Bridgestone RE-71R 245/40R17, Crane HI-6, Kirban FPR, MS2, DIYPNPF60, Spartan 2, C&L76mm blo-thru MAF, 47lb FRP-LU47
goodysgotacuda
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by goodysgotacuda »

Blown88GT wrote:Latest firmware version is 1.02
http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/support/firmware.php
I updated mine about two months ago. I am not sure if it is 1.02 or not, I can check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk