EGT

Testing and development of Megasquirt 3

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: EGT

Post by racingmini_mtl »

msoultan wrote:Are you using Jean's board to bring it into the MS3? I was trying to figure out if I should wait for the MS3, but it sounds like that's not really required. If I can bring it into the MS2 via CAN, then I might as well just go with an IO board and stay with the MS2, yes?

thanks!
Mike
If you only need 4 additional ADCs, you may not need the MS3 and simply use an external CAN board (which ever one you choose). But MS3 does offer a whole lot more than that so if you do think you will benefit from those then do consider it. And even if you chose to go for an external CAN board, you can later go with MS3 for the other features and just plug the CAN box to MS3 without any issue since the protocol is the same. And you even have more flexibility and features in EGT support in MS3 than with the current MS2/Extra code.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
msoultan
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by msoultan »

Well, right now I'm just trying to figure out what I need between the sensor and my MS2 (or 3). Does your expansion board directly handle 4 EGTs? I would also like to run 2 WB 02 sensors (one for each side of the engine), and use dual MAP sensors to allow for realtime baro correction.

thanks!
Mike
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Mike,

I'm not sure it's appropriate to discuss items which are specific to my board here since it's not a B&G board and this is a B&G forum. You can go to my forum for this.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
msoultan
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by msoultan »

jsmcortina wrote:Thinking about this some more. Personally, I have nil experience of EGT tuning. I plan on getting at least four and hopefully eight EGTs setup on the Cortina which will be logged by MS3. Once I have the individual injector control and sequential wired up (using the MS3X board) I will then be able to do some research on what is required to balance my EGTs - is it injector opening time? injector flow? injector sequence? intake air flow? exhaust restriction?
One major goal for me is to get them all to peak at the same time. Then you can use LOP tuning for fuel savings and lower head temps. You might find this article interesting and give you some guidance on how you might want to make use of sequential injection and EGT:

http://gami.com/articles/bttfpart1.php

Now, if you're goal is to make sure the heads don't melt (as with an aircooled engine like mine), then that's where some sort of peak detection would be handy. 1200-1300F is around the area where aluminum heads start to melt - from shoptalkforums.com EGT discussion:
At 1300F, the exhaust seats start sinking in the heads pretty quick, and the valve jobs life is a few seconds.
At least on cooling limited heads, like ours.
Whenever I talk to head-builders, they all say that EGT is way more important than CHT (which is what I currently measure). That's why I'm looking forward to pulling in the EGT data with the new MS3 and associated MS3X board.

If we do go the route of having an EGT shutdown (like the AFR safety) it would only kick you out until you get out of the danger zone. For the AFR safety you can specify TPS, MAP, RPM settings. Basically what it is trying to do is make you get off the throttle and save the engine. Once you let off the throttle and take it easy you can continue to drive i.e. "something went wrong get off the gas"
The other option is to also trigger a warning light. It's unfortunate that we don't have some kinda interface built into our dashes that displays feedback from the MS like OEM ECUs gauges and warning lights do...
msoultan
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by msoultan »

whoooops! I just realized I already posted in this thread... hehe.. that's what happens when you use the search feature and reply to a post without reading the entire thread :)
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Thanks for the link - I read all three parts to that article and found it very interesting.

I'm looking forward more than ever to sequential fuel and installing the 8 EGTs I have.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
joshd
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by joshd »

I'd like to see the ability to have the soft/hard limits on EGT as you say but also tie in the ability to turn on outputs such as water injection at a certain EGT. It's been my experience that water injection helps tremendously to bring down EGT's on highly boosted motors. This could be done at two places I guess, one at the WI tuning parameters to activate the output with EGT as a criteria. Or also, on the EGT setup itself. Probly make more sense on the WI parameters tho since there are more than just EGT events that you would want to activate the water injection.
"Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!" -Anonymous
joshd
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by joshd »

sorry, double post.
"Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!" -Anonymous
KaPower
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by KaPower »

jsmcortina wrote:Thanks for the link - I read all three parts to that article and found it very interesting.

I'm looking forward more than ever to sequential fuel and installing the 8 EGTs I have.

James
Maybe the explaniton for ruff running during lean conditions is the reason why my engine (and others) wont run smoothly at or near stoich mixture levels.(14.7 AFR) Maybe one could trim the fuel on each injector until all EGT sensors read the same and then lean out the overall mixture and see if it runs smoother then before, or would we have to also tweak airflow?...
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

kapower wrote:Maybe one could trim the fuel on each injector until all EGT sensors read the same and then lean out the overall mixture and see if it runs smoother then before, or would we have to also tweak airflow?...
That is what I hope to try once I have sequential setup on my V8. I'll only know when I've tried it.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
msoultan
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by msoultan »

kapower wrote:Maybe the explaniton for ruff running during lean conditions is the reason why my engine (and others) wont run smoothly at or near stoich mixture levels.(14.7 AFR) Maybe one could trim the fuel on each injector until all EGT sensors read the same and then lean out the overall mixture and see if it runs smoother then before, or would we have to also tweak airflow?...
I don't know if you had a chance to read the article, but remember, it's not the same EGT that you're looking for, but that they all peak at the same time. I am really interested in test this out and seeing what kinda results we can achieve!

Also, I don't think you necessarily have to tweak the airflow. Granted, if you had adjustable airflow, you could achieve synced EGT peaks, but I would think having individually-adjustable injector flow would be the easier way to go :)