Setting Up Launch in MS2 Upgrade Mode

Testing and development of Megasquirt 3

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Tjabo
Master MS/Extra'er

Setting Up Launch in MS2 Upgrade Mode

Post by Tjabo »

Hello everyone,

Please bear with me on this, as it's quite possible I failed to understand some of this! James helped me out with the differences between the MS2/E launch setup and this one, so we'll see how well I absorbed it.

First of all, as I understand it, the MS3 doesn't need the 5v to the pin that is drug low by the clutch (or brake) switch closing to ground, so all that is needed with the MS3 is a diode pointing away from the pin. To accomplish this I did the following (which looks REALLY ugly when it's blown up like this). I just ran the diode between JS7 and the proto area to bring it through the board for easier access to the solder hole for Spare3. I'm not sure I pointed the diode the correct direction :oops: :

Then from there I just ran a jumper wire from the diode to Spare3:

Does that look right, or did I totally mess it up?

I think I have a bit of work ahead of me dealing with my DB-37 on the harness side before I can test this out, so any comments to tell me what I did wrong are appreciated!

Thanks!

Thad
--'98 Dodge Neon ACR Turbo - MS3 beta test car - Sold
--'97 BMW 540i/6spd - Single Front/Top Mount Turbo 550+ HP - MS3+MS3X V3.0 - Sold but ripping in Vegas
--'97 BMW 328i 5.3 L33/TH400 Swapped drift car - MS3+MS3X V3.0 Full Sequential - Turbos And Radiator In the Trunk 9.6@144 on a 1.55 60ft
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Re: Setting Up Launch in MS2 Upgrade Mode

Post by jsmcortina »

Yeah that looks ok. Test on the bench if you can - connect that 'spare' pin to ground while the other rpm and tps conditions are applied, then give it some rpms and confirm that it limits.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
Kurt A
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Kurt A »

Will this wiring work for launch on a MS1/E?
Kurt
Rotax 912 turbo'd under construction MS2 Extra
2005 Mustang GT, turbo'd, aluminum heads, MS2 Extra
1928 Ford Coupe, 545BBF,671 blower, Squirted by MS2 extra 3.1.0, V3.0 Board
Tjabo
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Tjabo »

Kurt A wrote:Will this wiring work for launch on a MS1/E?
Kurt
I don't think so, I think you need something more like one of these:

http://www.msextra.com/ms2extra/MS2-Ext ... htm#launch
--'97 BMW 540i/6spd - Single Front/Top Mount Turbo 550+ HP - MS3+MS3X V3.0 - Sold but ripping in Vegas
--'97 BMW 328i 5.3 L33/TH400 Swapped drift car - MS3+MS3X V3.0 Full Sequential - Turbos And Radiator In the Trunk 9.6@144 on a 1.55 60ft
Tjabo
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Tjabo »

Launch seems to work awesomely! ! !

On the down side though, I think I destroyed my wideband sensor with it. . . Has anyone ever heard of that before?

On the up side, AFRsafety kicked in and kept me from doing anything once the wideband took a crap.

Back on the bad side, I'm guessing I'm not going to the track tomorrow with my new slicks and my new ability to launch.

I'll get under the car in the morning and take a look around to see if I can find anything easily fixable. The way the wideband faded out to a steady 14.8 so fast makes me think it's shot, and I'll have to wait for a new one to get shipped in.

Did I say that launch is AWESOME? :lol: What a hoot! Can't wait till I can mess with flatshift!

Thad
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

If your tune is good enough, you could race without using closed loop EGO or the AFR safety feature.

Ken
Megasquirt is not for use on pollution controlled vehicles. Any advice I give is for off road use only.
Tjabo
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Tjabo »

I think my tune is good enough Ken--I never use EGO correction so that I don't let that keep me from obsessing on my tune. At this point it is almost always on the nose. I actually toyed with going anyway as you mentioned because of this confidence I have in my tune.

However, there are two areas of concern, and they both relate to my water/methanol injection. Since my system is dumb (no linking to the PWs of the fuel injectors or whatever else), when the temperature is lower, I have seen my AFRs creeping up in the high boost areas where I'm running nearly 900cc/m of 70% methanol solution. The other concern is if the system just stopped. My terribly over-stressed cast piston stock block would be toast in an instant.

I've been running this wideband for ~3 years straight, so it doesn't owe me anything if I did kill it.

Thanks for the suggestion though!

Thad
Tjabo
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Tjabo »

Alright, I have ordered another sensor for my wideband, so I'll be out of business for my normal level of stupidity for at least a few days until it arrives. I did find out that there is a stock number for these sensors that you can get from Advance Auto overnight. Unfortunately it was ~$30 more than getting it from Modern Performance, so I went that way, especially since they support the Neon community! :ugeek: :lol:

Anyway, I got my switch adjusted to a nice point just at the beginning of engagement, and I have tested well enough to know that my launch and my flat-shift work.

I've got to say, this launch control is one of the most exciting things I've added to the car in a long time. I was literally quite bummed out that I couldn't go to the drag strip and tear it up today. Next weekend I guess, because that is the last Sunday of the year around here. . . There are still a couple of Wednesday nights and Saturdays left, but I'll have to make some schedule alterations to make those work. We'll see.

To be able to just launch the car with boost already going, and just fly is awesome! 8-)
Kurt A
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Kurt A »

Thad with regards to your wide band crapping out on you. I have had problems with mine a couple times. Both times were the result of an excessive rich condition. I was able to save the sensor both times by cleaning the fuel soaked carbon off with a butane torch and do a recalibration. Just thought I would throw this out because the last time (yesterday)I "killed" the sensor I was playing around with traction control and the exhaust went stupid rich on me.
Kurt
Tjabo
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Tjabo »

Kurt A wrote:Thad with regards to your wide band crapping out on you. I have had problems with mine a couple times. Both times were the result of an excessive rich condition. I was able to save the sensor both times by cleaning the fuel soaked carbon off with a butane torch and do a recalibration. Just thought I would throw this out because the last time (yesterday)I "killed" the sensor I was playing around with traction control and the exhaust went stupid rich on me.
Kurt
Would you mind describing the process in a little more detail? I'm afraid I'll ruin my new sensor the same way, and I'd like to have a shot at bringing at least one of them back from the dead! hahaha. . .

Thanks!

Thad
UnaClocker
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by UnaClocker »

Yeah, I'd be worried for the new sensor as well. Methanol is an ugly substance, very corrosive, and during launch, you're tossing some of it in unburnt form down to that sensor..
Brian
'84 Dodge Rampage
Kurt A
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Kurt A »

Tjabo wrote:
Kurt A wrote:Thad with regards to your wide band crapping out on you. I have had problems with mine a couple times. Both times were the result of an excessive rich condition. I was able to save the sensor both times by cleaning the fuel soaked carbon off with a butane torch and do a recalibration. Just thought I would throw this out because the last time (yesterday)I "killed" the sensor I was playing around with traction control and the exhaust went stupid rich on me.
Kurt
Would you mind describing the process in a little more detail? I'm afraid I'll ruin my new sensor the same way, and I'd like to have a shot at bringing at least one of them back from the dead! hahaha. . .

Thanks!

Thad

Thad it is really quite simple.
1)Pull your sensor out of the vehicle
2) Using your butane torch, burn the area that is carboned. I find that if I hang on to the sensor bare handed you can not get the sensor to hot, Please be carefull. What you will see is that edges of the carbon will start to glow yellow/orange. Repeat as required until the yellow /orange edges no longer glow.
3) Re-install sensor and perform free air re-calibration as per manufacter instructions.

I have saved the same sensor twice now by doing this and still have the new one that I bought in it's box as a spare.
Kurt
Tjabo
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Tjabo »

Thanks Kurt!

Are you finding that the holes in the end of the sensor are getting clogged then? Mine all appear pretty clean and open. . .

Still, if a propane or oxy/acetylene torch will do (I'm thinking propane), then I'll give this a shot!

Una, you mentioned an additional concern that I haven't even gotten into yet with the launch control. So far I haven't built enough boost on launch control to kick in the water/methanol spray. I did flat shift the sucker once, and that would be a prime opportunity for the scenario you described, but since my wideband sensor was bad already, the AFRsafety system shut me down about .3 seconds after I let out the clutch (MS3 reading 14.8:1 AFR from the wideband).

Interesting stuff as always!

Thad
Kurt A
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Kurt A »

Tjabo wrote:Thanks Kurt!

Are you finding that the holes in the end of the sensor are getting clogged then? Mine all appear pretty clean and open. . .

Still, if a propane or oxy/acetylene torch will do (I'm thinking propane), then I'll give this a shot!

Una, you mentioned an additional concern that I haven't even gotten into yet with the launch control. So far I haven't built enough boost on launch control to kick in the water/methanol spray. I did flat shift the sucker once, and that would be a prime opportunity for the scenario you described, but since my wideband sensor was bad already, the AFRsafety system shut me down about .3 seconds after I let out the clutch (MS3 reading 14.8:1 AFR from the wideband).

Interesting stuff as always!

Thad
Thad The holes have always been open and physically looking at the sensor I have never seen a reason as to why it quit working. It even looks very little different after the flame treatment. I don't think I would try the oxy/acet. that may be to hot.
Kurt
Tjabo
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Tjabo »

Excellent, thanks! I'll give it a try with some propane and see what happens (with propane).

Thad