Knock module for MS3 (beta test)

Testing and development of Megasquirt 3

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

TTC
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: Knock module for MS3 (beta test)

Post by TTC »

Anything I should do in particular atm since im currently building my ms3 msx combo to prep for this unit? I'm using the msx for all my fuel/ign outputs so my Fidle and native fuel and spark on the ms3 board are empty. The led's are setup as per the instructions.
MegaScott
MS/Extra Guru

Post by MegaScott »

TTC wrote:Anything I should do in particular atm since im currently building my ms3 msx combo to prep for this unit? I'm using the msx for all my fuel/ign outputs so my Fidle and native fuel and spark on the ms3 board are empty. The led's are setup as per the instructions.
If you have not dedicated D14 D15 D16 (LED output circuits on the MegaSquirt board) to drive other outputs, you should be able to add the Knock Module at any time simply by soldering the module in place with the jumper wires and the associated wiring from your knock Sensor(s) to the MegaSquirt.

Of course (duh) given as well that you are running MS3 firmware that supports this particular module since it requires special comms on the processor SPI bus to talk to the module.
Mhm
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Mhm »

I want to keep some spare DB37 pins open for when the knock module becomes available.

How many DB37 pins should I reserve?
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Mhm wrote:I want to keep some spare DB37 pins open for when the knock module becomes available.

How many DB37 pins should I reserve?
One on the main board for each knock sensor.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
Mhm
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Mhm »

Thanx, I assume the other side of the sensors would be connected to ground.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Mhm wrote:Thanx, I assume the other side of the sensors would be connected to ground.
Correct.
Nofalls
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Nofalls »

My calendar says August 2nd. Any word on the boards being up for sale Matt? :D

-Mark
Bainzy
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Bainzy »

What are the chances of these working well with an OHV type engine (eg. Triumph, A/B Series etc)? If these modules work despite the engine having quite a bit of valve train noise then I'd love to try one in my Spitfire 1500.
Triumph Spitfire 1500 - MS3 + MSX running sequential injection with direct coil control.
GT6MK3
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by GT6MK3 »

Any further word on supply of these?

C.
savagerocco
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by savagerocco »

From what I hear, the test car they were using to verify the changes on the chip is broken, plan "B" is in the works. Guess I can wait a little longer for verification and quality.
Brent Savage
life behind the zion curtain
90 audi RS2 20VTQ 6sp MS3, MSX COP and Sequential and now MAF
87 Scirocco 2.0 ABA 16v EIP tubular cast MSII COP
86 Audi 4K20VTQ MSII
90 Audi 90 sedan 3.6l DOHC V8TT (project car)
89 VW cabbie (bitch basket) 2.0 ABA Turbo MSII
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

According to DIYAutotune's Facebook page the knock modules and real time clocks should be available for sale at the end of this week or early next week.
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!
Mhm
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Mhm »

Good news!
BCM
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by BCM »

Count me in for an order. I am going to install, wire, and configure this as soon as I can get my hands on one so I can do some datalogging at a track day the end of the month. I have been fighting det problems in my race car all year so this should be big for me.

A couple questions - Is there a recommended sensor? Or, Matt, will you guys be selling them? If not, I'm going to make sure I have two on hand as soon as I can get them, I can probably just get a generic sensor from RockAuto. Also, trying to think through this, if I want to trigger an external indicator light that indicates when knock is getting detected, would that be possible now using spare outputs?

A couple suggestion based on the screenshots and what I've read here. I see windowing based on RPM and MAP, but not TPS. I am running Alpha-N, so adding in a TPS option would be good, if not done already. Also, individual cylinder retard would be a nice option in the future.

Thanks for all the work on this, hoping to be a production tester very soon...
Brendan
My 1990 BMW E30 M3: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=40404
NA 2.3L 4-Cyl S14, MS3/MS3X, COP, Sequential
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

BCM wrote:A couple questions - Is there a recommended sensor? Or, Matt, will you guys be selling them? If not, I'm going to make sure I have two on hand as soon as I can get them, I can probably just get a generic sensor from RockAuto.
We have been using a broadband Bosch knock sensor ourselves, but one tuned for a particular engine could potentially be beneficial. We aren't selling knock sensors at the moment but may add them in the future.
Also, trying to think through this, if I want to trigger an external indicator light that indicates when knock is getting detected, would that be possible now using spare outputs?
Trigger it when KnockRetard > 0.
BCM
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by BCM »

Thanks Matt. Is there any reason you couldn't use two sensors on an I4 engine, or is it just not necessary? I have a good spot I could mount a sensor between both cylinders 1/2 and 3/4, so was wondering if it'd be beneficial to do that...
Brendan
My 1990 BMW E30 M3: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=40404
NA 2.3L 4-Cyl S14, MS3/MS3X, COP, Sequential
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

BCM wrote:Thanks Matt. Is there any reason you couldn't use two sensors on an I4 engine, or is it just not necessary? I have a good spot I could mount a sensor between both cylinders 1/2 and 3/4, so was wondering if it'd be beneficial to do that...
VW 1.8Ts do that from the factory.
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!
Acki
Banned

Knock module for MS3 (beta test)

Post by Acki »

Yeah. This engine knocks at idle with Original ECM.
Two sensors on one bank - you have to use time frames (wrong wrote) and trigger the signal according the cylinder which works (you have to run full sequential that the MS knows the cylinder 1) and you have to prevent for interferences. When you have a overlap of the signals (at high revs).
It's more difficult to use this. Or?!
Mhm
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Mhm »

How would one know what/which knock sensor is suitable for a particular motor if it never came with any knock sensors.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Mhm wrote:How would one know what/which knock sensor is suitable for a particular motor if it never came with any knock sensors.
You could either run a broadband knock sensor or a narrow band sensor from an engine with the same bore size.
OliverH
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by OliverH »

How about knock and EGT control? I just bought an EGT+ CAN board from jbperf. If knock retards the ignition EGT will rise and more advance/ more fuel will be good to control EGT. How will they both (knock/ EGT) interact?
Is it possible that knock control will also use "over fueling" to get control of knock?
Is a wide band knock sensor capable to detect knock in all rpm ranges? Which kind of knock we talk about?
And what about knock contol on boost?
MS V3.00 DIY, MS3, MS3X, JimStim & StimX.