MS3 pre-1.1 alpha 18 released

Testing and development of Megasquirt 3

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

UnaClocker
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: MS3 pre-1.1 alpha 18 released

Post by UnaClocker »

Ahh, that explains it.. I saw "old_ms3loader" and several of them, didn't check to confirm there was an old mac one.. My bad..
Brian
'84 Dodge Rampage
wrenchdad
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by wrenchdad »

Ok, tried some more on AC idle control, got it where its almost seamless turning on but still a dip turning off but not nearly as bad. Best settings were not to use the addto targets for either AC idle or fan, just use a small amount of extra duty %.

BUT, while trying out the idle timing features saw something odd, I had both the AC idle advance and the idle correction curve turned on. As Ken had said they do add to the spark map table BUT when I turned off "idle correction curve" the settings in the idle advance when activated BECAME the idle advance.
Like I had 10 degrees for 65% load turn on below 950rpms, then the AC turned off, saw my dip in rpms then I am seeing 10 degrees for total timing on my TS dash? I changed the idle advance numbers to something above my spark table and next cycle I was getting what was in the ac idle advance table.

SO with both AC idle options turn "ON" then it adds to the spark map, but with only the one "idle advance" on it replaced my spark map for the map area that the ac idle advance was covering. I also never saws the idle correction curve table have an active cursor at least not when both options were on. Didn't try it by itself to see if it would follow rpms then.

Results= better still a little more work on the cutoff side of things.

Great work guys !! wd
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

wrenchdad wrote: BUT, while trying out the idle timing features saw something odd, I had both the AC idle advance and the idle correction curve turned on. As Ken had said they do add to the spark map table BUT when I turned off "idle correction curve" the settings in the idle advance when activated BECAME the idle advance.
That's how it works. Idle advance replaces what's in the table, Idle RPM timing assistance works on top of whatever the previously looked-up timing is.

So if you don't have Idle advance enabled, RPM timing assistance works on the normal table-based timing. If you do have Idle advance enabled, RPM timing assistance works from that.

Ken
Megasquirt is not for use on pollution controlled vehicles. Any advice I give is for off road use only.
wrenchdad
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by wrenchdad »

Ken,

Thanks, I think I have it now, my gray matter must need a jump start or something.

But still didn't see the idle correction table follow idle rpms when it was enabled. Shouldn't it have had a cursor tracking my falling idle rpms?

thanks again. wd
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

Right now there isn't one set up, but i should be able to add one relatively easily. I have been trying to keep our serial data structure from getting any bigger though as the bigger it gets the slower logging is.

Ken
Megasquirt is not for use on pollution controlled vehicles. Any advice I give is for off road use only.
SvenCS
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by SvenCS »

I have been running with Alpha 18 for about two weeks. The rpm timing correction and battery voltage correction curves work nicely. The rpm timing correction curve adjustments have eliminated my idle oscillations to where I now have a nice smooth idle. The battery voltage correction takes the abruptness out of changes in applying accessory loads (headlights, etc.). AC idle up and rpm increase with CL idle work well.

I found one minor bug (maybe in TS 1.21) when I accessed the Project’s Settings dialog to change the CLT expanded from non-activated to activated. Tuner Studio flashed and reset the opened msq file back to the ‘currenttune.msq”. I reopened my msq and everyting then worked well. I was able to repeat this and the program window flashed again. When I say flashed, it is like a very quick restart of TS.

Great work. Car definitely runs better than with beta 1.05.
1972 BMW 3.0 CS, v3.0 board, MS3 + MS3X, external MAP, VR-sensor, 60-2 crank, CAM gear tooth sensor, wasted spark, sequential
bubba2533
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by bubba2533 »

I see that you can enable a MAP logger in place of the tooth logger, but I am not sure how to enable the dev option like it stated in the change log.

Could you please tell me how I would go about doing that? I'd like to experiment with the MAP logger.
97 Subaru Impreza 2.2L - MS3 w/ MS3/x
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

It needs Phil to write a MAP logger viewer in TunerStudio.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
Peter Florance
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Peter Florance »

I think I made it mad trying to fetch a large log (> 40 minutes) and it seemed that the SD card process had locked up.

The log was good and I was able to fetch it with an external card reader. Any known size limit? Also is there a log of that process to see where it died or hung?

Thanks!
Peter Florance
PF Tuning
81 BMW Euro 528i ESP Car
60-2 Wheel LS2 Coils, Low Z Inj
Co-Driver 1999 BMW E46 DSP car.
sdezego
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by sdezego »

Upgraded from something like 1.04.

Other than small tweaks, One thing I had to revisit was Cranking/Priming PW. Would not immediate hot restart (turn off running engine and restart immediately) w/o giving pedal. I am not running any IAC (never have), etc so that may be why it is magnified on my setup, but I had to change the cranking PW at the high CLT range to essentially the ~idle PW.

Not sure if something changed along the way that would affect this or if I should look at some other aspect, but thought I would mention.

Also, finally enabled PID AFR/EGO as I was running simple forever. Had to change the settings significantly from the default (or at least the values that were in there when I enabled), but it seems I have a good steady idle AFR with large injectors. It wasn't horrible before, but did hunt more, so this makes me :D . MegaMan shows a large P in the screen shot (http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms3/AFR_EGO_Control.html) which is near what the initial setting was and it was MUCh worse than with PID off. Settled on 2, 120 , 0. I also changed some of the Lag Factors.

Thanks again for all of your hard work!
'90 Corrado G60 on MSns -e -> MS3 - '62 Harley Panhead

Supercharged 2L-20v Project Build -> https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2805002

Making 02m 6speed Conversion Mounts for VW MKII and MKIII -> http://www.generalprinciple.com/02m
sdezego
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by sdezego »

I may have spoke a bit too soon on the AFR/EGO PID. I got some seat time, and what I have found is that it is inconsistent at times.

It seems the algorithm code diverges at times. If I bump the pedal for a second and let it settle, it can usually correct it. Other times it is rock steady with only .2 AFR deviations right off.

I played with increasing the P and some of the other settings, but it seems when things start to diverge, it gets worse and I get significant AFR and RPM oscillations respectively.

I am not running an IAC, so that is not causing any counter effects and the timing is static in those bins But, I will say that at idle my car probably has lower voltage than most as the ALT is under driven. Strongly considering going back to "simple" correction, but I really like the rock steady AFR when it is on target.

Should I start a new thread on this topic or do you think this is isolated to me or is there still work to do on PID? I looked and there does not seem to be any answers out there in previous threads.
'90 Corrado G60 on MSns -e -> MS3 - '62 Harley Panhead

Supercharged 2L-20v Project Build -> https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2805002

Making 02m 6speed Conversion Mounts for VW MKII and MKIII -> http://www.generalprinciple.com/02m
elaw
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elaw »

Sdezego... it sounds to me like this is more of a tuning problem than a code issue, or possibly you're just expecting too much from EGO control.

A VE table that's not quite right in the idle area could cause what you're seeing. Also, if your voltage is low at idle it's probably varying with RPM also - that makes injector opening time vs. voltage a factor.

There are two other things to keep in mind: first that an engine never operates perfectly, the AFR will always vary a tiny bit from one moment to the next. And, the EGO correction is reactive, not proactive - it only knows what happened in the past (there's a delay between any fueling or condition change and the O2 sensor reading) so it's always going to be a little "behind". That's why it'll get unstable if you set the gains too high - it tries too hard to "chase" the correct value and ends up overcorrecting because of the delay between when an adjustment is made and when the EGO reading reflects that adjustment.

My suggestion would be to make sure your VE table and injector opening time are properly set up, then reduce the I term to maybe half of what you have, and maybe add a little P term.
Eric Law
1990 Audi 80 quattro with AAN turbo engine: happily running on MS3+MS3X
2012 Audi A4 quattro, desperately in need of tweaking

Be alert! America needs more lerts.
y8s
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by y8s »

So far Alpha 18 is working very well.
one question on how to use the New Accel Pump Enrichment "Accel CLT multiplier(%)"... I understand the intent is to increase enrichment at lower coolant temps but I don't get what I'm multiplying by.

for example, if I put "20%", is that 20% more at 20 or 40 or 50 degrees C? Or something else?
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

It should work the same way as the same setting did before.

I'll have to double check the code to make sure of what it does exactly though. I never use it and I don't remember off the top of my head.

Ken
Peter Florance
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Peter Florance »

If I'm running Sequential fuel, but single spark, can I use Output Test Mode for the single coil output?

It didn't seem to work yesterday on the car but I haven't bench tested it yet.

Thanks!
Peter Florance
PF Tuning
81 BMW Euro 528i ESP Car
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Peter Florance wrote:If I'm running Sequential fuel, but single spark, can I use Output Test Mode for the single coil output?

Thanks!
It works fine for me.
EDIT: But remember on the car that your coil might need the fuel pump on in order to get power.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
Peter Florance
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Peter Florance »

jsmcortina wrote:
Peter Florance wrote:If I'm running Sequential fuel, but single spark, can I use Output Test Mode for the single coil output?

Thanks!
It works fine for me.
EDIT: But remember on the car that your coil might need the fuel pump on in order to get power.

James
This one doesn't need fuel pump running but I'll check it again on the bench.

I was able to plug a spare distributor in (24-1 wheel inside) and spin it by hand: sparkies!!!
Peter Florance
PF Tuning
81 BMW Euro 528i ESP Car
franksidebike
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by franksidebike »

The New Accel Pump not work Deccel :(
Deccel is always 65msec. PW! I have check variations of settings, always when deccel goes the PW to 65msec.!
frank
new accel.msl
new accel.msq
y8s
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by y8s »

franksidebike wrote:The New Accel Pump not work Deccel :(
Deccel is always 65msec. PW! I have check variations of settings, always when deccel goes the PW to 65msec.!
frank
new accel.msl
new accel.msq
Make sure you set the 0 tpsdot value to ZERO. you may have to dedicate a table point to 0 tpsdot, 0 %AE
ThePing
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by ThePing »

Hi i'm from Brazil, only want to show the strange behavior of the new fw when engine reaches high dutycycles, comparing with fw 102 (yes downgraded after, unfortunately...the new idle features rocks)
new_fw_355kpa_spikes.jpg
2012-02-15_Alpha18 350kpa lambda spikes.zip
2012-02-24_fw102 400kpa clean.zip
That happened to anyone else?
Thanks