MS3 pre-1.3 alpha3 released

Testing and development of Megasquirt 3

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

jsmcortina
Site Admin

MS3 pre-1.3 alpha3 released

Post by jsmcortina »

This is a development code with a few experimental features. It follows pre-1.3 alpha2. A quick test run on my car appeared ok.

Main changes since pre-1.3 alpha2
New stuff:
Alt control. More code for lamp output. More code for on/off mode.
Pre-relay output for staging flaps.
High power time enrichment.
Specific shift light incl. gear based
Calculate Flex adjustment before starting too. Only calc flex on each pulse.
Long Term Trim feature
Oil pressure monitoring.

Bug fixes:
Fix int/uint comparison on log_trig_tps
MAP sample false error
Anti-lag correct input polarity on Nitrous-in pin.
Alternator TPS WOT wasn't signed.
Fix Subaru seq error.
ASE ini curve fix.

Minor:
ini ranges for on/off outputs
pwmidle_dp_decay_factor defaults to zero
Add fuel-pressure and alternator control fields to datalog.
ini tweaks for idle
gen_pwm default Y axes /10 to match scaling.
Remove "IAC cold position" feature. (Nobody understood it.)
Updated loaders to 3.26

Not fixed:
piledriver CLidle glitch (investigating)
elaw long starting (new)
Intermittent occasional very slow serial comms (need more data points.)

For discussion of specific new features or the above mentioned problems, please post in those topics.

NOTE! Tunerstudio 2.1.40+ is required. (http://www.efianalytics.com/TunerStudio/alpha)
Be aware that datalogging is broken in 2.2.03 (or thereabouts) so 2.2.06 is advised.

EDIT: Known bugs
Long-term-trim presently has a serious bug that can crash the MS3. This will be fixed. Do not attempt to use this feature in alpha3.

The zip is available to download at:
http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms3/files/al ... alpha3.zip

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
Kemp3
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: MS3 pre-1.3 alpha3 released

Post by Kemp3 »

Loaded and so far Alt function is flawless, logs will be in the Alternator post later. Only thing is I cant verify that the alt lamp works , if we could get it to light key on in the future that would be great.
whittlebeast
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by whittlebeast »

Long term fuel trims has potential to be a big game changer. Now for some real world testing.

Andy
whittlebeast
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by whittlebeast »

The option of long term fuel trims needs to be grayed out if you have dual fuel tables turned on.

We need a CEL triggered by the average LTFT > say 10% or <-10% The OEMs do this to catch falling fuel pressure and that sort of thing.

Andy
nuvolarossa
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by nuvolarossa »

whittlebeast wrote: We need a CEL triggered by the average LTFT > say 10% or <-10% The OEMs do this to catch falling fuel pressure and that sort of thing.
Andy
+1 oems do this. trigger cel if ltft is over +-10% for xx seconds (some use 10% threshold, some 20%, others in between)
Robert
MS3x 1.4.1 | TS 3.0.28
AbatelliCristian
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by AbatelliCristian »

James, the code is ok for sequential in subaru 6/7.
Thanks
AbatelliCristian
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by AbatelliCristian »

Strategy for oil press low? cut spark? or rpm limits?
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

whittlebeast wrote:The option of long term fuel trims needs to be grayed out if you have dual fuel tables turned on.

We need a CEL triggered by the average LTFT > say 10% or <-10% The OEMs do this to catch falling fuel pressure and that sort of thing.

Andy
Yes the OEMs do have codes for long term fuel trim issues. The threshold is typically 20% to 30%. Long term trims can can be pretty handy for indicating vacuum leaks. Long term trim codes are second only to Evap codes as being a common cause for a CEL
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!
hoveringuy
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by hoveringuy »

I had issues updating.

The install seemed to go fine all the way through installing the new .INI into TunerStudio.

After TunerStudio connected I had a ton of warnings, and then I had an error "can't compare data with controller" and it disconnected.

I tried to go back to a previous version but couldn't do that because I got "garbled response" messages.

Re-installed the latest version and the download again went perfectly, but same error in TS.
Kemp3
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Kemp3 »

safe to assume your running the latest TS beta ?
hoveringuy
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by hoveringuy »

Kemp3 wrote:safe to assume your running the latest TS beta ?
No, I had followed the link above and installed the alpha. I installed the beta per your advice and now it synched and started.

How does the latest TS 2.2.06 equate to 2.1.40+?? I'm confused by the version naming, perhaps.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

hoveringuy wrote:How does the latest TS 2.2.06 equate to 2.1.40+?? I'm confused by the version naming, perhaps.
2.2.x is more recent than 2.1.y so if you need to use something at least as recent as 2.1.40 (which is what the 2.1.40+ means) then using 2.2.06 will be ok.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

The high power/time feature will be very wecome by the aircooled and esp. boosted crowd if it's doing what I'm thinking.
IIRC, for X seconds you can run the optimal performance(or emissions) "dyno" AFR, after that time it enables extra enrichment for plug cooling.

This is so you can run "normal" plugs and not melt them under extended WOT pulls.
(or rather, not have to run dead cold plugs all the time)
GM (at least) uses this strategy on their blown Caddys etc.
Looking forwards to playing with it.
(any way to tweak the timing along with the fuel when it switches?)

I have a ~decent PWM warmup setup as of today, will try before+after upgrade to A3.
(testing intermittent warmup issues requires... patience, 2-3 shots at it per day unless it's really cold out)
Always doing things the hard way, MS2 sequential w/ v1.01 mainboard, LS2 coils. 80 mile/day commuter status.
MadCowTuning
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by MadCowTuning »

hoveringuy wrote:I had issues updating.

The install seemed to go fine all the way through installing the new .INI into TunerStudio.

After TunerStudio connected I had a ton of warnings, and then I had an error "can't compare data with controller" and it disconnected.

I tried to go back to a previous version but couldn't do that because I got "garbled response" messages.

Re-installed the latest version and the download again went perfectly, but same error in TS.
I had also similar problem with TS 2.2.04 and alpha2 code. It disconnects very often and can't connect again until restarting TS. Sometimes it disconnects and reconnects again but it was almost impossible to work with it. Then I upgraded this morning to TS 2.2.06 and it was OK.
hoveringuy
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by hoveringuy »

racingmini_mtl wrote:
hoveringuy wrote:How does the latest TS 2.2.06 equate to 2.1.40+?? I'm confused by the version naming, perhaps.
2.2.x is more recent than 2.1.y so if you need to use something at least as recent as 2.1.40 (which is what the 2.1.40+ means) then using 2.2.06 will be ok.

Jean
I had 2.2.04 which met the requirement for 2.1.40+, but nothing worked until I got the latest TS beta code. It also doesn't explain why I couldn't flash back to an older version (does it?)

Besides that, drove the car this morning and everything was fine. Looking-forward to playing with the long term trim!

Great job!
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

hoveringuy wrote:I had 2.2.04 which met the requirement for 2.1.40+, but nothing worked until I got the latest TS beta code. It also doesn't explain why I couldn't flash back to an older version (does it?)
I didn't know that 2.2.04 was broken, I have not used that version. The first post does say "2.2.06 is advised."

TS doesn't include a firmware loader (yet?) so it will have no effect on that issue, please provide more details and we might be able to help. You did use the newest loader to try and reflash the old code - right?

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

karlo
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by karlo »

I can confirm that the flex fuel sensor is now read before starting as well. However, flex does not appear to influence crank pw, making it very hard to start the engine. Can flex be made to adjust cranking pw as well?

If necessary, I can attach some logs as well, but it really only shows that crank pw is unaffected with and without flex enabled.

- Karl
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

Note that VEAL in TS seems currently unaware of the time/load based enrichment feature, and will happily "fix" your VE table for you if it's on.
(request posted in TS forum)
Always doing things the hard way, MS2 sequential w/ v1.01 mainboard, LS2 coils. 80 mile/day commuter status.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

karlo wrote:I can confirm that the flex fuel sensor is now read before starting as well. However, flex does not appear to influence crank pw, making it very hard to start the engine. Can flex be made to adjust cranking pw as well?
I'll add it to the TODO.

James

samh
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by samh »

Possible bugs LEDs 14and 15 stay on all the time and 16 does not work. All are being used as default D14 is ignition and should blink when engine is running. It stays on all the time. D15 warm up enrichment stays on all the time. D16 accel enrichment does not turn on during times of accel enrichment. This was noticed with this release and the one before this. Also serious connection issues with the Bluetooth. If engine stalls or is turned off after initial connection TS will not reconnect. Sometimes it takes two or three times before this happens. Also have tried restarting TS still can not reconnect, rebooting the computer still can not reconnect. Eventually looked at the Bluetooth adapter when this happened and noticed the blue LED that blinks when not connected was on. TS not running LED stayed on Turn off computer LED stayed on. This happens all the time no matter where I am at. Once this starts only way I can get it to reconnect is to turn off the switch and turn it back on or unplug the Bluetooth adapter and plug it back in. I am using the Bluetooth adapter that is sold by EFI Analytics.