TurboCarStaging Feature Video

Testing and development of Megasquirt 3

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Hpa
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: TurboCarStaging Feature Video

Post by Hpa »

I gave it a shot using a Solid state cherokee fan relay, but there was no repeatbility to it, It would move a different amount everytime, Are you wired directly to the MS3PRO currently? Im scared it would pull too much for the driver.

Very cool feature and it saves 300$ instead of buying one from Davis or Leash.

Thanks
Dan
2JZ Powered 1969 Plymouth Valiant 4 Door, 9.22@149. 100% Streetcar.
atomic6
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by atomic6 »

I doubt a solid state relay is going to cause much if any delay.

The hardware and electrical timing is going to be the same everytime(I don't see how it couldn't be)

But the vehicle could easily be adding a tolerance(slop) to the mix.
So, glad to see others trying this ALPHA function, we are really happy with how it is working on the Camaro.

First,How are you using it?

I envision most people will using it like this:

1 ride the brakes into the first beam.
2.apply the transbrake. keeping some pressure on the brake pedal.(some do this some don't, I think it works better doing it)
3.go to full throttle to get up on the 2-step,or the converter,
4.wait for a boost number you want to bump in with, or better yet add a light to signify that number or level.
5.activate the TCS, at that same boost level(power level) the car will move the same amount(assuming all the settings in the software are the same). More or less boost and/or power at the moment you press the release button, will vary the movement during the release. (riding the brakes a little or a lot seems to add a bit of manual, fine adjustment to the move. And calms the whole process down)
6.the car should move enough to get the second bulb on. If not then,next time,adjust the release timing to suit the situation.

Do you have some video of what you are experiencing, and can you post up your MSQ. Or just the setting numbers you are using?
Last edited by atomic6 on Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
1986 G.N. (sold)
1967 Nova II wagon (sold)
ex-MSer
Hpa
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Hpa »

Basicly my car is setup to hit a 5300 rpm limiter and I control the boost to 20psi on the brake button so the power level is the same on every test, and I hold the brake pedal to keep it from rocking to much, its odd, its like it would sometimes pulse more than once, just when I think Ill be ok on one test and it only bumps once like requested, the next time it feels like it bumps 2-3 times, but much quicker than when I actually use 2 bumps. Realy odd.

I have release time at .050, on time at .050 and main# of moves at 1, although I did try the setting in your video and it did the same.

Are you running a relay on yours?
2JZ Powered 1969 Plymouth Valiant 4 Door, 9.22@149. 100% Streetcar.
atomic6
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by atomic6 »

At first we tried to let the HIGH current/injector output of the MS3pro run the brake solenoid, and it would engage it at idle fine. But as the pressures in the valvebody got higher, the current demand on the t-brake solenoid got higher and then became more than the output of the MS3pro could handle, and it would pulse. So I built something I knew could handle 20 to 25 amps and switch very fast.

So I run a Mosfet, wired to control the brake Solenoid current. The mosfet, I cut out of an old broken PPI car amplifier power supply I had lying around.

Maybe the setup you have won't sink enough current and is going into some type of protection.

This should be able to handle the current, needed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hella-Driving-F ... 38&vxp=mtr

Or a duplication of the circuit that is designed for the injectors on a megasquirt v3 board, could handle the load, but that would be a little more work.
1986 G.N. (sold)
ex-MSer
dark star
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by dark star »

I run a 70A relay that controls the ground side of the tbrake solenoid. The MS controls the relay and it works perfectly consistent every time. Like atomic mentioned the only thing that will change the size of the move is the power level you leave on, if you leave on more power, the bump will move a further distance.
2000 Mustang GT 4.6 4V, MS3 Fully sequential,Twin 6466's,Glide, full fuel system 1100 WHP
8.78@160
Stock 2V Longblock- SAE 472Hp/469Tq on E85
11.27@121
ShelbyZ24
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by ShelbyZ24 »

Scottie-GNZ wrote:
atomic6 wrote:Make sense??
Not fully. I am having trouble visualizing how I would install it in my existing t-brake setup. Here is a rough sketch of how I am currently wired. Maybe we can discuss it from this perspective. BTW, the t-brake switch is on the steering wheel.

I have a transbrake solenoid that is grounded internally to trans. Can I use the neg control side of the relay to be triggered by ms3x for the bump while having the trans brake button providing the power to the relay
87 Daytona Shelby Z
2.4 turbo rwd
9.86@133
ShelbyZ24
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by ShelbyZ24 »

I'm also going to use a silid state relay from minivan rad fan. Can I configure the ms to ground it when Trans brake is applied then interupt that ground to bump the car forward ?
87 Daytona Shelby Z
2.4 turbo rwd
9.86@133
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

ShelbyZ24 wrote:I'm also going to use a silid state relay from minivan rad fan. Can I configure the ms to ground it when Trans brake is applied then interupt that ground to bump the car forward ?
Yes.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
ShelbyZ24
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by ShelbyZ24 »

OK Thanks I'm going in!
87 Daytona Shelby Z
2.4 turbo rwd
9.86@133
oldskool
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by oldskool »

jsmcortina wrote:
Hpa wrote:What version of tunerstudio are you using, I don't have those setting in my beta version.
I'm excited to give this a try!
This is a firmware feature (not TunerStudio), so you need to correct firmware version to be able to use it.
atomic6 wrote:And now it is in the MS3 Alpha 5 Firmware.(Experimental code, but available to anyone wanting to try it)
The current development firmware is discussed here: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 25&t=51496

James

Hi, read up on Bump Box, I'd like to set up my MS3X to utilize that function. I'm running latest firmware 1.3.2, latest Tuner Studio, my tune is working great. My question is, how is my tune affected loading MS3 pre-1.3 alpha8 firmware, what has to be done?
Thanks
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

There's no need to go backwards to an old alpha code. The 1.3.2 release code already has this feature. It is discussed a little in the Megasquirt-3 Setting Up manual.
http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/Megasqui ... Up-1.3.pdf Section 4.26

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
atomic6
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by atomic6 »

I don't have it on an MS3x so I can't say for sure, but It should not make a difference, running the alpha firmware.
1986 G.N. (sold)
ex-MSer
oldskool
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by oldskool »

Thanks for the reply James & Atomic6. Never noticed this feature in Tuner Studio after 1.3.2 load, been using a "slapper" trans brake on 200-4R, now I'm building a Switch Pitch TH-400 with trans brake which is going to be nice with Bump Box, can't wait. :D