Password protection (Rally Antilag anytime soon?)

Testing and development of Megasquirt 3

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

tpsretard2
Master MS/Extra'er

Password protection (Rally Antilag anytime soon?)

Post by tpsretard2 »

you are not going to get password protection.
jasaircraft
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Rally Antilag anytime soon?

Post by jasaircraft »

tpsretard2 wrote:you are not going to get password protection.
I hope you are wrong, because Im selling a lot megasquirts intalled and mapped here in my country and I need my clients not to "touch" any of the maps and setups... they ALL like to fiddle with anything their cars have.. that includes maps and ecu setups, for me that is a big risk... I really think password protection is a must at the ms3's current level...
tpsretard2
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by tpsretard2 »

i totally agree with you, but the developers have made it clear that they are not going to do it.
knightrous
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by knightrous »

jasaircraft wrote:
I hope you are wrong, because Im selling a lot megasquirts intalled and mapped here in my country and I need my clients not to "touch" any of the maps and setups... they ALL like to fiddle with anything their cars have.. that includes maps and ecu setups, for me that is a big risk... I really think password protection is a must at the ms3's current level...
Put a anti-counterfit sticker over the USB plug with your business name on it. If that sticker is damaged at any point or time after the car has left your workshop, void the warranty agreement.

Password protection is childish anyway as any script kiddy can just brute force it with basic software from the internets*.
* - Unless implimented in a fashion that does time lock outs after password failures
'89 Toyota MR2 AW11 - 1MZFE 3L V6 - Need to finish car before ecu :(
'89 Toyota MR2 AW11 - 16V 4AGZE - DIYPNP 1.5v
'90 Toyota MR2 SW20 - 1MZFE 3L V6 - MS3X
jasaircraft
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by jasaircraft »

knightrous wrote:
jasaircraft wrote:
Put a anti-counterfit sticker over the USB plug with your business name on it. If that sticker is damaged at any point or time after the car has left your workshop, void the warranty agreement.

Password protection is childish anyway as any script kiddy can just brute force it with basic software from the internets*.
* - Unless implimented in a fashion that does time lock outs after password failures
The sticker idea is not that bad, but not really a solution either...

I have attached a Haltech E6x map file... I changed its extension to .msq to be able to upload it so you have to change it back to .6xm ..... please crack it and tell us the what password is in there ;) , its a simple password, it should be easy... or not? You can download the e6x HalwinX_V1_26 from their website its not a big file...
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Implementing decent password protection is non-trivial. The current Megasquirt architecture has many ways that a minimal effort hack could grab a tune file from an ECU.
To do a proper job, the monitor/bootloader and firmware loader tools would need re-writing as well as firmware and tuning software hooks.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
jasaircraft
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by jasaircraft »

jsmcortina wrote:Implementing decent password protection is non-trivial. The current Megasquirt architecture has many ways that a minimal effort hack could grab a tune file from an ECU.
To do a proper job, the monitor/bootloader and firmware loader tools would need re-writing as well as firmware and tuning software hooks.

James
Hi James could this be considered for future upgrades please? Also the stuff I mentioned some posts above plus an option to enable roving idle with one of the inputs?(that way we can enable roving idle and a bypassing solenoid or kicker solenoid just to hear the beautifull roving idle feature.)
Keep.it going megasquirt guys! MS is really growing into a great ecu!!! I like the fact that you guys listen to users and tuners suggestions!
subwoofer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by subwoofer »

jasaircraft wrote:Hi James could this be considered for future upgrades please?
I think what he is trying to tell you is that it is a massive undertaking with fundamental changes to ALL parts of the system, TunerStudio included. Fundamental changes as in "start from scratch". For 99.9% of the users it would add NO value. Spelled out: IT WILL NOT HAPPEN.
Joachim
1974 Jensen-Healey
1990 VW Caravelle Syncro - running MS3+X
2014 Ford Fiesta EcoBoost
jasaircraft
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by jasaircraft »

subwoofer wrote:
jasaircraft wrote:Hi James could this be considered for future upgrades please?
I think what he is trying to tell you is that it is a massive undertaking with fundamental changes to ALL parts of the system, TunerStudio included. Fundamental changes as in "start from scratch". For 99.9% of the users it would add NO value. Spelled out: IT WILL NOT HAPPEN.
I in the other hand think MS guys are used to fundamentally change the game in engine management systems and give competition a good kick in the ass, so Im pretty sure those changes are not that hard for them.... 99% of my clients know squat about wiring, ecu setup or tuning, you can always tell by the first minute of conversation, therefore they benefit from.not being able to scrabble and fiddle with things that could hurt their and my pockets.
Its very simple, any MS ecu installed here in my country (which is not big) is either by me or a friend called Freddy, no one else has installed them, we both agree it would be useful to have that feature.
There is a paraguayan guy selling Pandoo ecus here, he leaves them without lock and Ive had to fix already two cars made by him because people fiddled with the ecu and there is a third one coming in. That ecu however does have the locking option.
The Deviant
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by The Deviant »

jasaircraft wrote:Blah blah blah password blah password blah blah.
Can we please keep this thread on-topic? I'm interested in everyone's anti-lag settings/issues/experiences; this incessant password nonsense is getting old (there have been at least two other threads, one was admin-locked) - in the locked thread it was said:
muythaibxr wrote:We know some people want this. If we decide to do it we will tell you.
It can not be more clearly stated.
James B.
1985 Merkur XR4Ti Rally Car
MS3 3.57+MS3X+RTCC+Knock
Ford Lima 2.3 Turbo/MSD LS2 COPs/DIYAT Hall Cam Sensor/Electromotive VR Crank Sensor
Nexus 7 Instrumentation with Shadowdash MS
jasaircraft
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by jasaircraft »

The Deviant wrote:
jasaircraft wrote:Blah blah blah password blah password blah blah.
Can we please keep this thread on-topic? I'm interested in everyone's anti-lag settings/issues/experiences; this incessant password nonsense is getting old (there have been at least two other threads, one was admin-locked) - in the locked thread it was said:
muythaibxr wrote:We know some people want this. If we decide to do it we will tell you.
It can not be more clearly stated.
Bla bla bla antilag pops and bangs bla bla bla! there you go...

Anyways, I will keep pushing for improvements...

Anyone got some rally vids with antilag using a MS3?
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Re: Password protection (Rally Antilag anytime soon?)

Post by jsmcortina »

For goodness sake. Now you are posting about anti-lag in a topic about password protection.

Stick to the topic.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
AbatelliCristian
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by AbatelliCristian »

I I have the password required time ago ...

I decided insert only bluetooth comunication for my application ....
jasaircraft
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by jasaircraft »

AbatelliCristian wrote:I I have the password required time ago ...

I decided insert only bluetooth comunication for my application ....
Can you please elaborate the explanation?
so since you use bluetooth only, (I suppose you have to visible usb or serial ports) you set that bluetooth device with a password?
cool
AbatelliCristian
Super MS/Extra'er

bluetooth required password.... you can use bluetooth module, remove db9 and remove usb....
jasaircraft
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by jasaircraft »

AbatelliCristian wrote:bluetooth required password.... you can use bluetooth module, remove db9 and remove usb....
where did you find the bluetooth thing, I cant find it...
AbatelliCristian
Super MS/Extra'er

jasaircraft
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by jasaircraft »

AbatelliCristian wrote:shield arduino... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0830109138
Thats so cool and cheap im going to buy lots of them, what are the cable connections? Any website of the manufacturer? I think this would be a great solution!
And you get wireless!
masterx81
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by masterx81 »

For use that module you need a simple 5v to 3.3v and viceversa signal adapter, because that module has 3.3v input/output. Someone use them as is with 5v, but i prefer to convert the signal. They work perfect, password protection, really stable (i'll do also firmware upgrade via bt without any problem). Then you can move the pc around the car without any cable. Really nice.
in any case, some time ago i've suggested to save in the flash a field with the last change at the tune (simple date time field). So that if someone tryies to vary the map you can at least see it.
The bt password can be still bruteforced, but not all have skills to do it.
Enrico
Opel/Vauxhall Corsa GSi MS2
Subaru v4 EJ20 MS3
jasaircraft
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by jasaircraft »

Anyone.know how to do the connections or a link to some guide? I will most probably have to order many of these to solve this issue...