Variable fuel pressure table option

Testing and development of Megasquirt 3

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

sentein
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Variable fuel pressure table option

Post by sentein »

Okay here it is. I am trying to get everything around to common rail my 01 dodge diesel. I do not want stock tuning or stupid preset programmers. EFI live only works on 06+ cummins and everyone wants those so they are impossible to come by for a decent price. The VE table and the injection timing table are a perfect fit. I will not be using ignition timing table. But the fuel pressure for a common rail is a variable pressure. Anywhere up to 25000 psi. This makes the injectors constantly variable flow wise as well. I know it is a stretch but is there any way to adapt the Ignition timing table to a required fuel output table? it would rely on a sensor output for fuel pressure and rpm. It would unload back into the base program as a required fuel value to compensate for the variable fuel pressure.

In programming theory it sounds like a decent idea to me but i not one to edit a program so i am not sure. wanting to use ms3 with the extra board for sequential injection.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Re: Variable fuel pressure table option

Post by jsmcortina »

This sounds like it might be beyond the scope of what is possible at present.

Diesel support is an interesting future idea, but we aren't there just yet.

Do you have technical data from manuals or recorded scope data to understand how the OEM is controlling the injectors and pump on this engine?

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
sentein
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by sentein »

My resources for the engine are alldata college books and notes and experience. I can easily come up with control info. My friend is in charge or rebuilding and flow bench testing these injectors. What kinds of info are you needing to make the determination if it is possible? I will try to get you all the info i can. If possible can you tell me what program you use to edit the code? I would love to play with the coding in my spare time. (sorry a little off subject)
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

sentein wrote: If possible can you tell me what program you use to edit the code?
Personally I use 'gedit'

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
sentein
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by sentein »

Okay thank you very muck i will be getting that tomorrow and start playing with some code and options.
sentein
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by sentein »

Okay is there a good step by step explination to this coding? I have been playing with it for a bit now and i am not having very good luck. Any pointers would be helpful. Also if i get this all to work will it be considered a new code?
slyrye
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by slyrye »

sentein wrote:Okay is there a good step by step explination to this coding? I have been playing with it for a bit now and i am not having very good luck. Any pointers would be helpful. Also if i get this all to work will it be considered a new code?
Let's do this...! MS3 for CRDI...! I can provide hardware knowledge for piezo and coil high voltage actuation and energy storage recycle...! :yeah!: :yeah!: :yeah!:
MSnS'n'4G15
hardline
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by hardline »

I would just be interested in this to keep my very large injectors out of the non-linear portion of their operating range at idle and light cruise.
2000 ZX2 : Sequential COP, MS3 + MS3X + TinyIOx, PWM Returnless Fuel, Flex Fuel, Variable Geometry Intake Manifold, Garrett GTX2863R .82AR housing @ 15 psi
sentein
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by sentein »

okay i give!!!!! Can someone at least point me in the right direction to get down to editing. i have downloaded all the bs that every read me has told me to download and the heck if i can read any of the files to edit them.
emboko
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by emboko »

Hi, sentein. can i have a copy of the CRD map/tune files so i see what format it takes? i am fairly knowledgeable in programming and am also very interested in an open-source controller for common rail diesel (CRD). I have searched hi and low for any info bt found zilch. till you said you have access to some of it. i was searching for data on the jeep grand cherokee CRD (was sold in europe, mercedes OM612/647 engine).
modern diesel engine swaps are stymied by lack of open source controllers. please get me some of those files so we can have a look. it will at least be a contribution to the development of megasquirt diesel controllers. :D
Look busy. Jesus is coming.
SecureSupplies
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by SecureSupplies »

Howdy

I like this one , is there any one familiar with the status of
Diesel water injection control and Variable Fuel Pressure control in the current versions.

And What is Needed to complete it here and or what has been done.

Warmest Regards

Daniel
danieldonatelli@hotmail.com :?: :RTFM:
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

I am looking for the same with an imminent GDi experiment, using a 2005 MazdaSpeed 6 GDi injector driver box.
(Have been bench testing with a spare MS2 box, but The Plan is to use MS3 for final implentation, with a set of staged port injectors as well)

I'd like to have variable pressure control to aid setting up the various operating modes.
(or at least use pressure feedback for fuel calcs, perhaps using an external controller run using some of the lovely PIO)

DI fuel pump is not certain yet, but it's looking like it will be from a Porsche 997.2, some of which seem to get fed E85 often enough to be useful.
I realize the pressure range is out to lunch for fuel calculations, but the Ford/Mazda rail pressure sensor at least is kind enough to put out 0-5v.
I THINK pressure can be PWM controlled (may need a hardware window) but also may need to add a HV step driver... Detailed tech data seems thin on the ground, as the 997.2s are ~all still under warranty.
(3 piston wobbler pump, ~similar to European Ecotec DI pump and sadly the BMWs, enough flow for 550+ HP on E85... thats about all I have)

My first question has to do with existing firmware:
If I muck with it and turn on pressure control, does this hose the basic fuel pump control stuff?
Short: Do I need to install a Bosch CIS fuel pump relay to deal with the 5 BAR fixed pressure feeder (and secondary injector) pump?

Hmmm might be able to (ab)use a second ms2 to control pressure by abusing the ebc or such, or perhaps even sync it at half speed to use as a direct controller with "injection" timing control, using possible hv driver if needed... should be able to easily send the desired PW at the right time using that.
http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=34310
Always doing things the hard way, MS2 sequential w/ v1.01 mainboard, LS2 coils. 80 mile/day commuter status.