ms3x trans control

Testing and development of Megasquirt 3

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

jmswltn
MS/Extra Newbie

ms3x trans control

Post by jmswltn »

Is it possible to incorporate the megashift code along side the engine code.

I have so much in/out connections available, and features I will never use. Table switching, launch control, among other things.

Is there anyway to do this and how can I help?
hardline
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: ms3x trans control

Post by hardline »

It is not possible currently, and has been asked for multiple times before. Your cheapest option would probably be get a Microsquirt module and connect it to MS3 via CAN
2000 ZX2 : Sequential COP, MS3 + MS3X + TinyIOx, PWM Returnless Fuel, Flex Fuel, Variable Geometry Intake Manifold, Garrett GTX2863R .82AR housing @ 15 psi
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

I had another quick look at this the other day. While there might just be enough inputs and outputs for the gear-pos switches and solenoids on a 4L80E, there isn't a suitable spare input for the VR speed sensor or input shaft speed sensor.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
jmswltn
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by jmswltn »

The last run I had with the ms3 controlling the engine i was using the speed sensor pickup for a speed display in TS. Could this be used for a simplified trans controller based on throttle position,load,and rpm with a brake switch input added to lock/unlock the converter on decel and braking .

is there a hardware change i can make to the ms board for the extra vr pickups needed or possibly an external solution. i still have the zeal board but dont see any room for it in the ms3x box. but i do have a proto area on the ms (3.0) board.

also is there a safe way to convert the spare outputs to positive switching instead of negative. i understand there are PNP and NPN transistors but i dont fully understand how to incorporate that into my MS

The trans im using is an A341. It utilizes a tcc speed sensor (VR), tail shaft speed sensor (vr) and another tailshaft speed sensor (hall?) this is a 20 pulse per revolution converted to a 4 pulse per revolution at the instrument cluster. the 2 shift solenoids are positive switched while the tcc lockup and line pressure are pwm grounds

I have been driving it around with a 4 position rotary switch and a spst switch for lock up this all works well but i was hoping i could use the programmable outputs to operate the three solenoids based on the data that ms uses to control fuel and spark in addition to the speed and brake inputs.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

jsmcortina wrote:I had another quick look at this the other day. While there might just be enough inputs and outputs for the gear-pos switches and solenoids on a 4L80E, there isn't a suitable spare input for the VR speed sensor or input shaft speed sensor.

James
Could you use something like a HEI module as a conditioner and wire it to PT4?

Of course, if the car is using a HEI distributor and non-sequential injection, you could just use the cam input for VSS.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
tobmag
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by tobmag »

jsmcortina wrote:I had another quick look at this the other day. While there might just be enough inputs and outputs for the gear-pos switches and solenoids on a 4L80E, there isn't a suitable spare input for the VR speed sensor or input shaft speed sensor.

James
This is very interesting, will it help if not using the 4L80E pressure switch but rather using a 0-5v input like Ford trannys for gear lever positioning?
Will free up 2 inputs.....

BR//Tobmag
nathaninwa
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by nathaninwa »

This interests me. I picked up my next project and it will be using a 5.3 LS truck motor and 4l80e in a boosted application. I haven't read fully into the best option for controlling the transmission but this would be a nice feature. It will be on ms3pro.
Volvo 940, 2jzge, MS3Pro, daily
240Z, 2JZ, MS3Pro boost control
ol boy
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ol boy »

This makes me smile! I'm using the bare minimum wiring for my 4R70W trans. I don't care about shift position as long as its in drive all the forward gears will work like there supposed to. My code only uses TPS and vehicle speed to shift points and TCC lock up.
306 SBFord, Torquer II EFI intake, 60 lbs injectors, 8 LS2 coils, VS Racing 7668 turbo, 4R70W, MS3x fw1.4 w/built in trans controller.
Tjabo
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Tjabo »

Matt Cramer wrote:
jsmcortina wrote:...there isn't a suitable spare input for the VR speed sensor or input shaft speed sensor.

James
Could you use something like a HEI module as a conditioner and wire it to PT4?

Of course, if the car is using a HEI distributor and non-sequential injection, you could just use the cam input for VSS.
Subscribing!

Assuming that the signal could be conditioned in the way Matt suggested here, would this be applicable for any non-sequential injection/wasted spark setup?

But is there still one signal that can't be accommodated even with Matt's idea?

How's it going James! :)
--'98 Dodge Neon ACR Turbo - MS3 beta test car - Sold
--'97 BMW 540i/6spd - Single Front/Top Mount Turbo 550+ HP - MS3+MS3X V3.0 - Sold but ripping in Vegas
--'97 BMW 328i 5.3 L33/TH400 Swapped drift car - MS3+MS3X V3.0 Full Sequential - Turbos And Radiator In the Trunk 9.6@144 on a 1.55 60ft
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

I just spent a few minutes digging and rummaging and looking at the MicroSquirt Trans Controller wiring. The MS3 is already reading things like CLT, TPS, and RPM, so all that's needed is the transmission-specific inputs and outputs. A TinyIOx should be able to handle those with no difficulty, leaving all the MS3/x inputs available for engine and chassis control.
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems