Super MS/Extra'er

Re: new ford 5.0 ti-vct

Post by ashford »

for reference her is a wiring diagram for a 11 f150
ashford
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ashford »

i bought another coyote today, it is low milage so i will put gt cams in it and drop into the capri. then use my old motor put forged stuff in it and put into a 40'2 jeep pickup turboed for a rat rod.

for future reference the intake and exhaust sensors are physically interchangable. i pulled both out they are the same length and seal size so i can get rid of the troublesome hall sensors.
ashford
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ashford »

i ran a 12.34 @ 113 today, pretty happy with it
jsimmons
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by jsimmons »

Im hoping for 10.9x or better with mine.. My car should be considerably lighter than yours is. What was your 60ft on that pass? Do u have any recent vids of the car?

I cant wait for mine to be finished.. Its getting close. All thats left is gauges, water pump, radiator, linelock, brake lines, master cyl, a few wiring connectors, battery, battery push off and cables..
ashford
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ashford »

jsimmons wrote:Im hoping for 10.9x or better with mine.. My car should be considerably lighter than yours is. What was your 60ft on that pass? Do u have any recent vids of the car?

I cant wait for mine to be finished.. Its getting close. All thats left is gauges, water pump, radiator, linelock, brake lines, master cyl, a few wiring connectors, battery, battery push off and cables..

i ran a bunch of 1.73-178's one run i took a passenger and got a 1.68 wtf, coudn't run it out with a passenger so don't have times on it.

no recent vids of it though, driving it daily, beats the hell out of my nissan in the summer time.
jsimmons
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by jsimmons »

Oh ok same numbers as before.. For some reason i thought that was a new time.. I didnt check the date ont he post. Its a cool car i love those capris..
jsimmons
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by jsimmons »

What tires are u running? Im sure it would 60ft better with a drag radial. I would expect to see a 1.6 or maybe even a 1.5 60ft
ashford
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ashford »

i was running some old 14' drag slicks, the car is a 6 speed and im a bit conservative with a clutch. my race car on the other hand can pull 1.4's with good track prep normally its a mid 1.5, but then again that car can do 100mph in 1st gear.
jsimmons
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by jsimmons »

Ah ok..i understand taking it easy on the clutch. Since im going turbo down the road im not bothering spending money on a custom converter. Thats the only thing that will really hold me back as far as running n/a.. Only a 3k stall on the one i had laying around
hardline
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by hardline »

I'm just curious what a composite tooth log looks like on this engine
2000 ZX2 : Sequential COP, MS3 + MS3X + TinyIOx, PWM Returnless Fuel, Flex Fuel, Variable Geometry Intake Manifold, Garrett GTX2863R .82AR housing @ 15 psi
ashford
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ashford »

crank or cams? or all
hardline
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by hardline »

All of the above
2000 ZX2 : Sequential COP, MS3 + MS3X + TinyIOx, PWM Returnless Fuel, Flex Fuel, Variable Geometry Intake Manifold, Garrett GTX2863R .82AR housing @ 15 psi
ashford
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ashford »

its a normal 36-1 wheel and 7 tooth on the cams, only one shows up on the composite logger though. if a registered version of ts is had an engine logger will capture them but is sorta pita to setup and see in mlv that and they only last about 1.5-2 engine revs at a sample.
jsimmons
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by jsimmons »

ashford wrote:i bought another coyote today, it is low milage so i will put gt cams in it and drop into the capri. then use my old motor put forged stuff in it and put into a 40'2 jeep pickup turboed for a rat rod.

for future reference the intake and exhaust sensors are physically interchangable. i pulled both out they are the same length and seal size so i can get rid of the troublesome hall sensors.
what issues were you having with the sensors?
ashford
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ashford »

the hall sensors are a bit tricky to condition for some reason, the vr on the exhaust side gave me no problems at all. seeing they are physically swappable my next build will be all vr sensors
jsimmons
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by jsimmons »

What do you mean by conditioned? Do you mean hard to get the settings correct?
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

jsimmons wrote:What do you mean by conditioned? Do you mean hard to get the settings correct?
Electrically problematic.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
ashford
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ashford »

i just got done with a motor swapout. new engine is the same(stock f150 motor before with boss intake) except for mustang cams, boss valve springs and some billet replacement parts for oil pump and timing gears. im going to build up the old motor with some forged rods/pistons for a turbo setup.

first off the bat was that the intake cams were 5* off(exactly) from the f150 cams, so i just added 5* to vvt calibrations. there is s definate loss of low end below 3000 rpm but the top end should make up for it. torque is flat till about 7000rpm :shock: , i didnt expect a stock cammed motor to do that. another thing i noticed is that a small tick is no longer present and vvt3 behaves like vvt1 now and works much quicker at higher rpms. i had to add a bunch of fuel about 20% at higher loads which makes no sense to me as i have a maf, knock retard is acting more now, reduced timing took care of the lower speed/ higer loads, but light loads are a bit noisier now.

a screen shot of the action, maf load is pretty level aroun 80-85% bu correction table is averages about 120% so actual ve is near 100% to 7000 rpm.
vvt.png
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

ashford wrote:another thing i noticed is that a small tick is no longer present and vvt3 behaves like vvt1 now and works much quicker at higher rpms.
Do you think that was a mechanical fault with the old engine or something else?

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
ashford
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ashford »

jsmcortina wrote:
ashford wrote:another thing i noticed is that a small tick is no longer present and vvt3 behaves like vvt1 now and works much quicker at higher rpms.
Do you think that was a mechanical fault with the old engine or something else?

James
probably a bit of both, the old engine probably had a lazy phaser, it was slow compared to vvt1. the other problem with vvt3 may be a design issue with the motor( they did the same thing with the 4.6dohc but on the other side) the secondayr chain tensioners have the plungers on the top side of the chains, on the passenger side that is on slack side, on the driver its on the taught side. that might "bump" the cam around with torque load.

i did have a question for you though. are the cam offsets in the code a variable of 90* or a multiple of 90 lets say something like vvt1 and 2 are 360* ?