GDI drivers

Testing and development of Megasquirt 3

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

busher06
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: GDI drivers

Post by busher06 »

Been doing some looking myself and it seems that the PS driver max V is 53V but the Duramax driver does 93V for the peak pulse which is closer to the 90V required for the Bosch solenoid type 200 bar injector. If performance is the primary goal, and the input for these driver boxes is in the MS3 range, it may be possible to set three squirts per cycle at the microsecond periods. Latency issues may arise, but varying the value of c12 could possibly solve those.
Not sure how important the stratified charge is in the process though. Increasing the rail volume should reduce the effect of pressure loss at injection events enough to reduce the impact of the relationship between pump stroke and cam events. Only one way to be sure. Still trying to confirm the input requirements of the driver boxes. Any and all help/criticism/ideas welcome.
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

So...
I have the Mazda (mitsubishi electric) GDi injector driver box in hand, its wiring pigtails and MazdaSpeed 6 2.3L TC injectors set inbound, rails w/pressure sensor and pigtails for injectors for a Ecoboost V6 in hand... Figured out how to dual plug the heads, and where/how to mount the injectors. (need to get some Hobart 4943 filler rod or wire, can probably even skip the 10mm plug inserts)
The 3.5 v6 rails are ~perfect spacing for the planned injector location, assuming the center one gets plugged, will slice and TIG if any fine tuning needed.

The only thing I'm actually missing at this point is a GDi high pressure pump.

The Porsche 997.2 pumps seem to go for ~$150-180 used, has a little drive dog and integrated cam (or is a wobble plate type, have yet to see a teardown) looks like it could be integrated as a belt drive (with oil feed) or modified as a coaxial pump off a modified VW oil pump.

The issue I see is it shares the ~same design & manufacturer as the BMW Di pumps that still seem to have regular problems.

I hope to have it electrically "running" on the bench with my spare MS2 sequential setup the coming weekend.
Always doing things the hard way, MS2 sequential w/ v1.01 mainboard, LS2 coils. 80 mile/day commuter status.
gfolsom
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by gfolsom »

It's been too long since I've been online. Just working and driving a "normal" car. It's almost time to do the next project, which brought me back to this thread. Where are we on GDI drivers? I found it interesting earlier in this thread that the GDI injector module was the same one as used on Ford Powerstrokes. Those are readily available. People had tried working with them on the "Megasquirt/Diesel" questions but hadn't resolved the issues of mjultiple injection timing as of a year ago.
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

AFAIK multiple injection events for MS3 are not in the roadmap, and would likely be essential for smooth running diesels, or most advanced stratified charge modes with GDi, but a basic stratified mode can be potentially set up w/staged port injectors providing the lean "bulk" charge. and the GDi injectors providing the rich firing charge.

It seems that MS3 may provide no power advantage over the factory ECUs on diesels, as far as max HP is concerned, as fuel is not the power limiter.

There may also be an aversion to the effective "throttle by wire" diesel support creates, and the potential liability it implies.

FWIW I bench tested my rig (GDi) and electrically it works fine with the Mazda (Ford GDi) drivers, but that's as far as I have gotten, although I have the Porsche 997.2 gdi pump resting comfortably in a box awaiting me doing something with it.
Always doing things the hard way, MS2 sequential w/ v1.01 mainboard, LS2 coils. 80 mile/day commuter status.