Idea: missed shift detection and gear select interlock

Testing and development of Megasquirt 3

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Idea: missed shift detection and gear select interlock

Post by piledriver »

Though of something while mowing my lawn...

Thinking of the racers out there...
The rev limiter works great, but is there a way to actvate a lower rev limit on a neutral swicth input or too high rpmdot?

Second, the other best way to kill an engine is (example) downshift to second at 90 MPH by accident.

Seems like a couple stategically placed solenoids could inhibit "oops" gear selections using vss input and trivial logic.
Making that sort of thing ~impossible would be a godsend to many racers.

Anyone think this is a Good Idea?

Anyone tried it?
Can it be done with the existing generic progarmmable I/O or is more firmware support needed?
Always doing things the hard way, MS2 sequential w/ v1.01 mainboard, LS2 coils. 80 mile/day commuter status.
pit_celica
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: Idea: missed shift detection and gear select interlock

Post by pit_celica »

In my understanding, as soon as you have release the clutch after a gear3 --> gear2 mishift at 90 MPH, there isn't anything you could do on the EMS side to stop the damage. The engine will be overdriven because it is mechanically linked to the high speed wheels/diff/transaxle. The RPM will rise, no matter if the EMS is in spark cut or normal running.

Unless you have a sequential transaxle driven by a kind of electronic controller where you can disable a downshift if the current speed isn't within limits, I don't see how an EMS could prevent this scenario.

Sam
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Idea: missed shift detection and gear select interlock

Post by piledriver »

12V solenoid actuators blocking the shift linkage from moving to gear 2 at 90 mph would do exactly that.
I was curious if anyone was doing it already simply using the programmable IO.
Always doing things the hard way, MS2 sequential w/ v1.01 mainboard, LS2 coils. 80 mile/day commuter status.