test mode - suggestion

Testing and development of Megasquirt 3

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Marek
Master MS/Extra'er

test mode - suggestion

Post by Marek »

I have a couple of observations about injector/coil test mode operation:-

1/ If you click "stop" for either coil OR injector when testing an injector, the test stops - I presume this is a feature. Similarly, accidentally allowing the mouse to hover over and click "Start" during a test can restart a test from scratch, potentially overfilling a beaker with fuel.

2/ The indicated battery voltage doesn't update itself during a test, but only when test mode is disabled. Whilst this may also be considered a feature, it'd be nice if the displayed voltage were actually the average voltage during the test. This could be achieved by sampling the actual voltage a set number of times betwqeen a stop and start, i.e. during the test and presenting the "average area under the graph" to be the "test voltage", rather than displaying the voltage as was when test mode was first enabled. This may seem trivial for most users, but doing injector deadtime testing on a v12 means lots of toing and froing and there is plenty of scope for the voltage to fall away between the first and fiftieth run.

kind regards
Marek
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Re: test mode - suggestion

Post by jsmcortina »

Marek wrote:I have a couple of observations about injector/coil test mode operation:-

1/ If you click "stop" for either coil OR injector when testing an injector, the test stops - I presume this is a feature.
That's generally what stop means (?!)
Similarly, accidentally allowing the mouse to hover over and click "Start" during a test can restart a test from scratch, potentially overfilling a beaker with fuel.
Seems reasonable to ignore Start once the test is running.
2/ The indicated battery voltage doesn't update itself during a test, but only when test mode is disabled.
What code version? This updates for me.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
Marek
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Marek »

Without looking, I think it might be pre1.3alpha7 as viewed through TS 2.5ish - I'vee just assumed it has always been like this, so routinely switch the fuel pump off after a test and then disable.

kind regards
Marek
Reverant
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Reverant »

jsmcortina wrote:
Marek wrote:I have a couple of observations about injector/coil test mode operation:-

1/ If you click "stop" for either coil OR injector when testing an injector, the test stops - I presume this is a feature.
That's generally what stop means (?!)

James
What I think he meant is that he started the injector test, clicked Stop for the coils by accident (and not for the injectors), and the injector test stopped.
The man behind MS Labs
2005 Audi A3 2.0L TFSI DSG AWD - Extreme MS3
2002 Mazda Miata 1.8 6sp - Enhanced MS3 1.4.0, sequential injection, sequential ignition, big turbo, lots of boost
Marek
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Marek »

That's exactly right, hence the term "feature" - the wrong "stop" stops the test as well as the right one. I'd either annote it thus and do nothing or remove one of the stop buttons.

kind regards
Marek