Development tools help

Testing and development of Megasquirt 3

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

casey83
MS/Extra Newbie

Development tools help

Post by casey83 »

I am currently trying to play with MS2 code and successfully added my own wheel decoder. Now looking at upgrading and doing things with MS3.
I have two MS2's in cars and one MS2 and one MS3 as test bench only units.
Is there any way of using 'code warrior' or any other debug toolset with ms3. Or is it possible in a bench mode to attach any freescale board so that a debug mode is available. ? It seems such a backward step to develop code in a blind mode.
I am asking as I do not want to duplicate effort that others have probably already done.
My aim is to play with ms3 on my XJ40 and interconnect it with my car pc computer etc. I have touchscreen installed in car. (Later on my P38 Range rover).
Maybe if I learn MS3 well enough then in my pending retirement after 20 years programming embedded code on various systems, then maybe given time I could make a useful contribution to the current developers. But I realize I would need to do a lot of study / playing before I could offer any useful help.
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Re: Development tools help

Post by muythaibxr »

Currently debug is not possible using CW or the BDM because the chip ships in secure mode.
Megasquirt is not for use on pollution controlled vehicles. Any advice I give is for off road use only.
casey83
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by casey83 »

Thanks for that info.
I am meaning this for a modified unit to be only for bench testing.
If the chip is erased can secure mode be turned off? (I know I should read the specs.)
or could I not replace the chip.?
I assume that the current three main developers do not code blind.
If there is a development environment that would make programming easier, even if it was a few thousand or more to purchase,
it would be nice to know so that it could be considered as an option.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

All the development I've done on the MS2/Extra code has been done using debug variables in the data log. That's sometimes tedious but it works. And using the debugger simply doesn't work for some cases where stopping the code screws up things you need.

And erasing the chip could be done on the MS2 where the serial monitor is not essential for the rest of the code but the MS3 code needs the monitor to run. And while the MS2 serial monitor is available, the MS3 one is proprietary and not available. So erasing an MS3 CPU means you simply have a non-operational setup. And that would not give you much on an MS2 other than having to load the code through the debugger (and I don't even know if that would work without some modifications).

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
casey83
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by casey83 »

Thanks.
I have been doing it that way. Outputting info via the logging.
I suppose I will get used to it. I know that with interrupt systems in the past the debug was limited. Normally had to restart after stopping.
What I liked about some micro kits I have used in the past was the flash was replaced with quickly loadable ram.

Thanks again, I will start doing more study on what I want to achieve.

To the developers - Great product and makes a real difference to how the cars run. In my case no loss of power (feels like gained power) but cars
are much more economical.