A nitrous pulse width wizard?

Testing and development of Megasquirt 3

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

A nitrous pulse width wizard?

Post by Matt Cramer »

I'm trying to work out some math for what the nitrous pulse width adder should be, and it would make things easier for the end user if the math could be done in either TunerStudio or the MegaSquirt. Here's what I have worked out for how much pulse width a dry nitrous system should use, if the injection is every other crankshaft revolution.

PW in milliseconds = [120,000 * (Target nitrous hp) * (brake specific fuel consumption) * (safety factor) ]/ [(Injector flow in lb/hr)*(number of injectors)*(RPM)]

The 120,000 comes from two factors: The RPM is divided by two to reflect one injection every other crankshaft revolution, and multiply that by 60 and then 1000 to convert from minutes to milliseconds.

Can somebody check my math? Would it make sense to incorporate this into TunerStudio or the firmware somehow?
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
jeffmarsh750
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: A nitrous pulse width wizard?

Post by jeffmarsh750 »

This would be awesome ! and extremely helpfull. Especially with BSFC in the calculation as you could use higher numbers to start safe.
Fastest MS powered vehicle on the planet ! 6.60@208mph
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: A nitrous pulse width wizard?

Post by Matt Cramer »

I figured a safety factor could accomplish it separately - you could, for example, set that to 1.5 if you wanted 50% more fuel than necessary, etc.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X