PPP measurement (was Knock module for MS3)

Testing and development of Megasquirt 3

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

subwoofer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: PPP measurement (was Knock module for MS3)

Post by subwoofer »

Charge amplifiers are not rocket science (but probably not easy to get right either), so a bit of DIY and we should have something that be good enough to find the shape of the pressure curve, but not very accurate for absolute pressure measurements. Which sort of reminds me of the pressure sensing spark plug washers, has anyone seen any of those around lately?

I love the way the 6053 and 6055 sensors are designed, don't worry about the water channels, just ream out the hole you drill to the correct size and stick the sensor through. Why didn't I think of that? :mrgreen:
Joachim
1974 Jensen-Healey
1990 VW Caravelle Syncro - running MS3+X
2014 Ford Fiesta EcoBoost
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

I tried to get some info // buy some of those washers but the supposed vendor never even auto-replied.
(think the info was in this thread awhile back)

What are these "water channels" you speak of? :twisted:
I just drill and tap a hole.

My main concern is can the sensor take up to 400F?
Always doing things the hard way, MS2 sequential w/ v1.01 mainboard, LS2 coils. 80 mile/day commuter status.
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

Actually got a replay from Sensata, but the initial offer was $900 each for an "off the shelf" unit.
Considering the more complex Beru PSGs go for $108 shipped from Amazon, I suspect that's not a production unit.
Trying to be diplomatic, we'll see if any useful info comes out.

Did some more reading and it looks like 2014+ Daimler trucks (commerical side, not Mercedes/consumer side) are the applications for the CPOS, based on quoted from a Daimler exec in Sensata literature."most engine models".

You can't afford to have unreliable metal glow plugs in your truck if the ceramics work so much better.
The stand alone pressure sensors is the result.
Always doing things the hard way, MS2 sequential w/ v1.01 mainboard, LS2 coils. 80 mile/day commuter status.
subwoofer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by subwoofer »

Daimler trucks would be Mercedes in Europe, still carrying the same star logo. I'll ask around a bit and see what I can find out.
Joachim
1974 Jensen-Healey
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

Sensata will provide zero technical or part# information, but will offer to sell you some hand made one off units for $900 each, ...although in the same breath the will not sell to anyone but OEMs.

I suspect finding the Daimler//Mercedes truck part#s will be the only means of getting there from here at a somewhat sane price, but I expect them to cost more than the ~$100 Beru PSGs for TDis despite being simpler.

From reading, it appears Freightliner et al use at least some of the ~same Mercedes engines, and the US specs are if anything more stringent than at least Euro5. There's a Freightliner plant I drive by occasionally in Irving Tx, I guess I could try the parts counter.

However: It appears that Sensata has other development partners than just Beru: Continental/Siemens
http://www.continental-automotive.com/w ... tml?page=2
subwoofer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by subwoofer »

Continental has a bunch of interesting sensors there, shame about the
"Private Customers
These products are unfortunately not available for trade as replacement parts or in the aftermarket."
on the sidebar.
Joachim
1974 Jensen-Healey
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

subwoofer wrote:Continental has a bunch of interesting sensors there, shame about the
"Private Customers
These products are unfortunately not available for trade as replacement parts or in the aftermarket."
on the sidebar.
Code for "Dealer only".
2014 MY release was >2 years ago, so they should hit the aftermarket ~soon.(for the CPOS at least)
Given a part# we can get there from here, even if its via a Mercedes parts counter or wrecking yard.

There are several Asian (India, Chinese) companies advertising supposedly same type sensors, but they seem to be using the same d*** photos in their ads (Contis or Sensatas) so probably just phishing. Even if they are 4th shift output, they still will only sell by the hundreds or thousands.

Conti isn't going to deal with non-OEMs either, but knowing who makes the parts and what they went in is most of the battle.
jacky4566
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by jacky4566 »

Going to revive this topic a bit.

I was reading about the newer BMW S85 engine. It apparently has Ionic sensing with a standalone control controller. Is there any BMW tech that could get thier hands on some of these coils and control boxes?