Feature request: tachometer sweep at key-on

Testing and development of Megasquirt 3

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

CSXRT4
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Feature request: tachometer sweep at key-on

Post by CSXRT4 »

I'm not sure how feasible this is but it would be pretty cool to have a tach sweep on key-on like some sports cars have. It's definitely a "for show" kind of feature but would be cool if it's not too difficult to code in.

Also, if this was done then it could also be applied to the vss output for guys that use a megasquirt controlled speedometer so that the speedometer will sweep too.

Here's a video for reference
http://youtu.be/jxBemmiKSrw
CSXRT4
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: Feature request: tachometer sweep at key-on

Post by CSXRT4 »

How feasible is the tachometer sweep? I'm not sure how much its tied to the ignition events so I'm wondering if it's even possible without a ton of coding. If it wouldn't be a huge issue then I will try to mess with it myself but I won't waste my time if it's too complex.

I worked on getting some other gauges to sweep today. These are from a Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera

http://youtu.be/gncBVaqQ0w4
MWPau
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by MWPau »

These kind of fluffy features should be kept out of the firmware IMHO.
The gauge itself should do the sweep.
Toyota Celica GT4/Alltrac with 5S-GTE stroker (2.2L I4 turbo, high CR) on E85 w/FlexFuel.
MS3 + MS3X + KnockBoard + RTC + BT + DIY CAN-IO-Board + DIY CAN Digital Dash.
bcrx7
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by bcrx7 »

In addition to above post, this is typically done on a stepper motor gauge to find the minimum and maximum so the gauge operation is accurate. Putting this in software to drive a regular gauge will look awful!
1984 Mazda RX-7 GTM Class (BP Engine + BW-EFR 8374 Turbo Full COP/Sequential on MS3+MS3x)
1986 Toyota 4Runner (22RE running on MS2-Extra 3.2.1)
CSXRT4
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by CSXRT4 »

Fluffy features make things fun. Hell, most people that enable ALS and launch control dont even use it for its intended purpose, they just like to hear pops/bangs and shoot flames. Id say thats pretty fluffy.

Ill agree that the gauge sweep is pretty useless, like I said its all for show. But gauge control would definitely be a nice feature to have, being able to control analog gauges or even stepper gauges with an analog input is useful. Many guys have done LCD display gauges but it can get expensive and difficult to fabricate. Being able to turn a gauge into a fully ecu controlled data visual gives you the ability to monitor anything the ECU calculates is pretty useful. It definitely isn't fluffy, otherwise there wouldn't be so many guys messing with megaview, aftermarket clusters, etc.

For example, right now for my buddies project we are doing an MS3 on a porsche 911 air cooled with a water cooled engine swap. Now we have an oil temp gauge that we need to turn into a water temp gauge and an oil level gauge that is useless. By using the generic PWM outputs ive already gained control of these gauges and have been able to scale the oil temp gauge for water temp with the ability to fine tune zones in a non-linear fashion. And ive also been able to re purpose the oil level gauge to an ethanol content gauge. The MS code already has the ability to do these things, it would just be nice to package it up into a feature set and add a bit more control to it. The sweep thing was more of an afterthought to add some flare, ive already added code to do this with the gauges ive already took control of. I was just wondering if I could get some insight on how to do it with the existing tach control because I think its a little more involved with that.

bcrx7 wrote:In addition to above post, this is typically done on a stepper motor gauge to find the minimum and maximum so the gauge operation is accurate. Putting this in software to drive a regular gauge will look awful!
How would it look awful?
CSXRT4
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by CSXRT4 »

Well nvm, I figured out how to do it :D
richyvrlimited
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by richyvrlimited »

Do tell?
2003 MX5. Coldside MP62
-
MS3, RTC, & Knock board, Release 1.2. LC-1 Wideband.