Idle control strategy

Testing and development of Megasquirt 3

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Reverant
Super MS/Extra'er

Idle control strategy

Post by Reverant »

I'm currently using "Use last value" when re-entering CL.

The problem with this strategy is that once I cold-start the car and take off, I stop 5 minutes later and the idle is usually 1800-2000rpm and slowly coming down or not at all (overrun fuel cut oscillations).

So I tried "Use table". Better on this aspect, however "Use table" has droops when I add electrical loads during driving: While I drive, say I switch on the headlights or the cabin fan. On the next idle stop, the engine will droop, and recover. Next stop, same thing. And again, and again, and again, as the last position is not stored, to resume from there.

How about combining the best of both worlds? Ie "Use table" while the engine is cold, then switch to "Use last position"?

Thoughts?

Dimitris
The man behind MS Labs
2005 Audi A3 2.0L TFSI DSG AWD - Extreme MS3
2002 Mazda Miata 1.8 6sp - Enhanced MS3 1.4.0, sequential injection, sequential ignition, big turbo, lots of boost
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Re: Idle control strategy

Post by muythaibxr »

Are you using the voltage correction feature?

Most of the electrical loads you're talking about will pull voltage down, and that can be accounted for already.

Ken
Megasquirt is not for use on pollution controlled vehicles. Any advice I give is for off road use only.
Reverant
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Reverant »

They don't pull down the voltage at all. The voltage is a flat 14.4V once the engine is running. The voltage will only drop if I apply so many loads that the alternator can't keep up.
The man behind MS Labs
2002 Mazda Miata 1.8 6sp - Enhanced MS3 1.4.0, sequential injection, sequential ignition, big turbo, lots of boost
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

You're using the miata alt code right?

If you are, then I had another idea to help with that, but never documented the idea so I forgot about the problem.

Basically the idea was to figure out from how the bang-bang code was controlling the alternator what the load on the alternator was, and then adjust accordingly from that.

Ken
Megasquirt is not for use on pollution controlled vehicles. Any advice I give is for off road use only.
Reverant
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Reverant »

muythaibxr wrote:You're using the miata alt code right?

If you are, then I had another idea to help with that, but never documented the idea so I forgot about the problem.

Basically the idea was to figure out from how the bang-bang code was controlling the alternator what the load on the alternator was, and then adjust accordingly from that.

Ken
Yeah, that would help immensly. I can easily test the code if need be.
The man behind MS Labs
PDX5
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by PDX5 »

What about those who don't have a miata? I have the same issue and have been the using initial value table with okay results. Adaptive advance helps greatly. Still, a temperature switch point would be nice.
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

If you have an alt that is MS controlled we can factor that in. If not, use voltage correction. I doubt your alt reacts as fast as the miata one.