Feature Request: Manual Fan Control, Manual Limp Mode

Testing and development of Megasquirt 3

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

aidandj
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Feature Request: Manual Fan Control, Manual Limp Mode

Post by aidandj »

Would it be possible to have a digital input turn on the fan no matter what temperature the engine is at?

Also, would it be possible to have a digital input turn on limp mode? It would be like a valet mode switch. Set a rev limit, boost limit, etc.
JoseMiguel
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: Feature Request: Manual Fan Control, Manual Limp Mode

Post by JoseMiguel »

You can do the manual input for the fan with a simple switch and manually override the settings for the fan without messing with the ecu

The "valet" mode has been discussed before but still no concensus.
Marek
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Marek »

Any spare programmable output can be used to drive the fans via a relay. You can also get to the fans via the aircon settings or simply use a switch/relay independent of megasquirt.

It might be argued that the "valet" or "restricted" setting should be the default and full ECU function only be available once your secret switch has been activated - i.e. it is partially an anti-theft feature.

kind regards
Marek
aidandj
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by aidandj »

Is it possible to have a manual fan override? As in have it controlled by the Fan Control and also by a switch?

And for valet mode I was digging around and saw the limp mode settings and it seemed like an easy way to implement it.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

aidandj wrote:Is it possible to have a manual fan override? As in have it controlled by the Fan Control and also by a switch?
Yes, wire a switch that grounds the fan control relay output. I did this on a customer's car last week.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

jsmcortina wrote:
aidandj wrote:Is it possible to have a manual fan override? As in have it controlled by the Fan Control and also by a switch?
Yes, wire a switch that grounds the fan control relay output. I did this on a customer's car last week.

James
While an external switch is nice and simple and does save a digital input, having this in the firmware would allow the code to use the normal features for compensating for the additional load. It would also allow logging of the override.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
Speedy_G
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Speedy_G »

would it also be possible, to use the existing fan control function but with an additional input, to control it.
So 1) option would be that the CLT is reached to turn the fan on and the 2) option is, to start the fan when the switch input is grounded, no matter what the CLT-Sensor says.
I often use this on my race bike, just before the next turn, for better engine warm-up. Or when i enter the pit-lane.
But because i can't use the same output twice i have to decide between fan control and programmable output.
At the moment i have to use the programmable output (switch->fan on) and no fan control.

I know that i could wire it like this, but i would like to keep the wiring harness as simple as possible and do this things just via software.
Mrstoks
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Mrstoks »

I would love to be able to toggle/override outputs via a button in ShadowDash on my tablet. Any word on this functionality becoming available or a work-around?