Feature Request - Boost by Gear "Limit" and "Scaler" mode

Testing and development of Megasquirt 3

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Chiburbian
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Feature Request - Boost by Gear "Limit" and "Scaler" mode

Post by Chiburbian »

This is just a suggestion and a call to see how others feel about it.

One of the big advantages of the closed loop boost system is that you can use the target boost map to raise or lower the boost at different RPMs to flatten the torque curve or make it more drive-able (theoretically if not in practice).

Another nice feature is the "Boost by gear" setting but as I understand it, it supersedes the target boost map and thus throws out any flattening of the torque curve that I may have dialed in. Is it possible or feasible to add two additional ways that the boost by gear settings are applied? My suggestions:

"Target Boost" = current boost by gear as it stands now. Target boost remains at a single KPA value across the RPM range and at all throttle positions. IE: gear 1-3 boost_target=160, gear 4 boost_target=180, etc
"Limit" = acts as a limit to the boost in each gear, but otherwise allows the target boost map to apply. IE: 1-3rd gear boost_target=table_target unless table_target >160
"Scaler" = multiplies the target boost table by a percentage. IE: 1-3rd gear boost_target=table_target*(.75), 4th gear boost_target=table_target*(.95), etc.

Forgive the shoddy code shorthand. I haven't done any code in years and I am generalizing.

Does this idea have any merit? I really like the idea of boost by gear but I like my boost target map even better (at least in the higher gears).
Magovit
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: Feature Request - Boost by Gear "Limit" and "Scaler" mod

Post by Magovit »

I like the Scaler Idea. I already use this in other brazilian ecu brand.
335i //M
nathaninwa
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by nathaninwa »

I think we're able to do kinda what your asking right now

By enabling boost blending and using the blend table, you can target a kpa for each gear, and use different boost values in that kpa row. It's not 100% what your asking as it blends between target tables 1 and 2, so anything in the blend zone will be based on values in the target/target tables
Volvo 940, 2jzge, MS3Pro, daily
240Z, 2JZ, MS3Pro boost control
rabid
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by rabid »

I did the tps scaling method by modding the code and also the ini for tunerstudio. I love it. It should be an added feature. Refer to my thread here. http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 95#p432742