My car on MS3 so far, and two requests

Testing and development of Megasquirt 3

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

sd1nl
Master MS/Extra'er

My car on MS3 so far, and two requests

Post by sd1nl »

Been running my car this week on the new MS3/MSX setup. And I have to say: it runs excellent. Smoother and better than ever and the current firmware is really awesome. The possibilities are endless.

I do have two small suggestions for the ms3 firmware though:

-as mentioned before in another post, a tps/dot dependant ingnition tip in retard would be great
-an afterstart idle up to combat difficult idle after a hot start would be helpful. This to boost the idle lets say 100 or 150 rpm for a few minutes and then tapering down gradually.

For the rest no complaints, everything works great. I especially like the accell pump AE. This combination with EAE I can create a nearly flat AFR behaviour.

:D :D :D
Rover Vitesse 3.5
MS3 full-sequential
36-1 triggerwheel
Direct coil control
Innovate LC1 wideband lambda sensor
AbeFM
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: My car on MS3 so far, and two requests

Post by AbeFM »

Something like that. I've had nothing but trouble with post-start idle.

Sometimes it seems a couple minutes after I start the car, sometimes just a few seconds. But it'll stall and stall and stall after a fresh or warm start. But if I can keep it alive, somehow, for ~1-2 minutes, it's rock solid until I park it. Does it cold, too, so I think it's more about "after start" than "hot start".
2000 VVT Miata turbo, MS3Pro

Contact me if interested in a MS-II 2nd gen NB Miata PnP board.
sd1nl
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by sd1nl »

On cold starts you more or less already have a raised idle speed (at least most tunes do), so the need is less when cold. On hot starts there seem to be a fair amount of people to have some kind of idling issue that is difficult to tune out.A post start idle up might mask this phenomena a littlebit.
Last edited by sd1nl on Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rover Vitesse 3.5
MS3 full-sequential
36-1 triggerwheel
Direct coil control
AbeFM
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by AbeFM »

Mine doesn't try to idle. Or perhaps it needs entirely different PID settings for post-start. But I'll see it 100's of RPM below the target and the valve will still be full closed.

With foot off the gas, in the idle RPM range, the car should try to keep the engine alive. It has the feel of integral wind up. If I can slowly, slowly, slowly let rpm settle in the range, getting the throttle still open but in the closed loop range (which I've raised to like 1.5% for this purpose), it'll stay there.

Perhaps just increasing the dashpot adder (or closed value or something similar) either after starting or when cold.... would help?

muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

sd1nl wrote:Been running my car this week on the new MS3/MSX setup. And I have to say: it runs excellent. Smoother and better than ever and the current firmware is really awesome. The possibilities are endless.

I do have two small suggestions for the ms3 firmware though:

-as mentioned before in another post, a tps/dot dependant ingnition tip in retard would be great
We're thinking about this already but not for 1.4. Possibly for 1.5.
-an afterstart idle up to combat difficult idle after a hot start would be helpful. This to boost the idle lets say 100 or 150 rpm for a few minutes and then tapering down gradually.
Are you using the initial value table for closed loop idle? If so, then you could use MAT as the Y axis and put in a duty that will keep you idling at the MAT that's causing you trouble.
For the rest no complaints, everything works great. I especially like the accell pump AE. This combination with EAE I can create a nearly flat AFR behaviour.

:D :D :D
This is good to hear since that and fast response are the points of those features.

Ken
Megasquirt is not for use on pollution controlled vehicles. Any advice I give is for off road use only.
AbeFM
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by AbeFM »

muythaibxr wrote: Are you using the initial value table for closed loop idle? If so, then you could use MAT as the Y axis and put in a duty that will keep you idling at the MAT that's causing you trouble.
Ah! That will probably help me out a bunch. Not using it, but it could likely solve my problems.

New thread to prevent jacking: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 25&t=58946

sd1nl
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by sd1nl »

I use initial values table with mat. That helps the idle valve maintain idle speed, but the idle quality on hot starts is less smooth and really requires some extra RPM's. To be honest I solved the problem myself by using the "airco idle up" controlled by Loop1 via the output ports but it would be nice to have a permanent solution (also for people that do have aircos)
Rover Vitesse 3.5
MS3 full-sequential
36-1 triggerwheel
Direct coil control
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

Fair enough. What is your fueling like when it runs rough after starting?
Megasquirt is not for use on pollution controlled vehicles. Any advice I give is for off road use only.
sd1nl
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by sd1nl »

I try to maintain AFR target as close as possible with something like 6% ASE for a minute. The MAT controlled IV table & idle valve maintain idle speed at target.This all seems to work.

But it seems to be something of a characteristic of the engine and injectors to run a little rough after hotstarts.

Keeping idle at 950 instead of 850 helps a lot.

To be honest, some people wouldn't care less. But I like my engine to run perfect under all conditions. A rough running engine annoys me.
Rover Vitesse 3.5
MS3 full-sequential
36-1 triggerwheel
Direct coil control