Feature Request for Kenne Bell Boost-a-pump

Testing and development of Megasquirt 3

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

sedd
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Feature Request for Kenne Bell Boost-a-pump

Post by sedd »

I am installing the Kenne Bell Boost-a-pump that increases the fuel pump voltage. I will try to use a water injection screen output based on map, rpm, and throttle position to trigger the boost-a-pump to provide the higher voltage. the boost-a-pump requires a contact closure. I will install a relay activated by the MS3.

I plan to use the VVT output. Please confirm if the output control sinks to ground?

I would like to base the output on something that is better directly related to injector fuel flow and fuel pump duty. Possibly the injector pulse width or "load" or something like injector "duty". I don't see a way to have these as possible trigger selections on the water injection set up screen.

Better and I think a more logical place for this would be to use the fuel pump and pressure control screen. I don't see how the on/off control works on this screen as there doesn't appear to be any output selection or a way to select what triggers the on/off event.
1970 Chevelle, 540 big block, AFR heads, headers, mild cam
MS3 release 1.4.0, sequential fuel, LS2 coil per plug
Tuner Studio MS V3.0.05
papiogxl
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: Feature Request for Kenne Bell Boost-a-pump

Post by papiogxl »

I use mine based only on boost pressure using a generic output. Over 200kpa, it turns on.

For an NA application you could use RPM and MAP. Or if you wanted to get more complicated, a generic pwm output, this gives you a table and you can use the on/off feature selection to activate the relay when needed.

The use for the BAP is to keep voltage low while putting around, and high when it's being beat on. No real need to make it more complicated than that IMO.
The Ratchet RX7
1988 RX7 powered by 12V VR6
Ms3x, ID1000's, e85, pt6266, NX wet kit.
Stock block w/ arp hardware
TH400
8.8 IRS
sedd
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by sedd »

I have the voltage booster unit installed and wish to have a way to megalog when the water injection is switched to the "on" state. I want to monitor fuel pressure during the various full throttle events and at various rpm. Does anyone know of a way to log this? I monitor fuel pressure so what I need is to tell when the water injection turns on the voltage booster.

I have used the water injection menu table, and set it to on/off control. I am using map and rpm to control when this turns on.

I still feel it would be better to have a table where a person could more directly control this. Using calculated fuel flow. VE and RPM should allow a calculation of actual fuel flow. When I get close to a chosen fuel flow, I turn on the fuel pump booster.
Tuner Studio MS V3.0.05
chips60bug
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by chips60bug »

I log fuel pressure, and volts at the fuel pump (I thought I was having pressure drop issues related to voltage)
There may also be a way to log the w/injection via the appropriate Status value. I'll probably do the same so that I can log when my water/meth is active.
sedd
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by sedd »

I am going to try the programmable on/off output instead of water injection. I am thinking of triggering the output based on fuel cons (fuel consumption). I am hoping to see this on the megalog viewer during full throttle tuning runs. I would like to tell if the Kenny Bell is working or not.
Tuner Studio MS V3.0.05
sedd
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by sedd »

The forum suggested using programmable outputs. So far that has worked out quite well. There is little need for an additional feature to work with the Boost-a-pump. I use the programmable output for the ground of a 12 volt automotive relay coil. The relay supplies an isolated contact that is used to turn on the voltage booster.

I had a bit of trouble making it work because I still had the output VVT still noted in the water injection output, even though water injection was turned off, it apparently didn't like having VVT listed in a grey'd out cell.
Tuner Studio MS V3.0.05