Feature request: MAP for phase with ITBs

Testing and development of Megasquirt 3

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

subwoofer
Super MS/Extra'er

Feature request: MAP for phase with ITBs

Post by subwoofer »

The MAP signal can be used for detecting engine phase in 1-cylinder and V-twin applications. Is there any technical reason why that can't be extended to any configuration with individual runners and a MAP sensor behind the throttle blade in runner #1?
Joachim
1974 Jensen-Healey
1990 VW Caravelle Syncro - running MS3+X
2014 Ford Fiesta EcoBoost
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Re: Feature request: MAP for phase with ITBs

Post by jsmcortina »

Assuming the MAP sensor was only used for phase in lieu of a cam sensor, then technically that could work. I'm not sure how useful it would be if you were hoping to get MAP data from it also? Better or worse.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
subwoofer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by subwoofer »

Well, the engine I want this for is a Lotus 907, and runners 1 and 4 already have taps in them. I was sort of guessing / hoping that Event Average and ITB mode combined would give a consistent enough signal when tapped from a single runner - but I have not attempted this. The MAP signal would look a lot like the one from a single cyl, if it works for a single, it should work on a 4...

Conversion is still in the planning stages. Most likely, I will end up hiding a MAF in the plumbing somewhere in front of the airbox and will have little use for the MAP signal, but just for the heck of it I thought I should try out ITB mode and see what I can get out of it. Not having to butcher up an old distributor for sync would reduce the hassle involved.
Joachim
1974 Jensen-Healey
1990 VW Caravelle Syncro - running MS3+X
2014 Ford Fiesta EcoBoost
wes kiser
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by wes kiser »

I think it would work quite well. Also, my limited exposure to single cylinder engines makes me believe that sampled at the correct time it would provide a usable MAP signal (at least one that you can tune by, that goes up and down with load up until your MAP switchpoint).
86 Rx-7, swapped to 2.3 ford turbo (BW EFR 6758), ms3/ms3x sequential fuel /waste spark, ls2 coils
88 Tbird 2.3t, Microsquirt Module (PIMP), TFI ignition
Speedy_G
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Speedy_G »

+1
would be a great feature!!!