(Miata) Alternator control WOT feature needs some help

Testing and development of Megasquirt 3

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

stefanst
MS/Extra Newbie

(Miata) Alternator control WOT feature needs some help

Post by stefanst »

Went to the drag strip for the first time yesterday with my '99 Miata.
Fun times :D
Looking at my logs I noticed that the alternator control WOT feature has a problem:
When I go TPS >90%, the voltage drops to the pre-programmed WOT-value (in this case 12.6V). It takes a little while to get there- around 900ms, but it gets there. Then, when I lift to shift, the target voltage returns immediately to 13.7V. It takes it more than 3s to get back up to 13.7V. While it's still trying to reach 13.7V, the TP is back to 100%, but the algorithm seems determined to make it all the way to 13.7V before going back to WOT mode. Now it goes back to WOT mode and while it's trying ta make it back down to 12.6V I'm shifting again.

The result of all this is almost the opposite of what I would like to achieve: With this algorithm we're charging the battery while WOT in 3rd, while not charging with the throttle closed.....

My preferred solution here would be to give the algorithm some wait period before going from WOT-mode to RUN-mode. I don't really need to have the battery charging for the 600ms or so it takes me between WOTs. So give me a second or two to shift before going back to run mode.

This little hiccup actually helped me realize that the voltage compensation on my injector dead-time is off, so something good came of it after all 8)
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: (Miata) Alternator control WOT feature needs some help

Post by Matt Cramer »

:msq: ...because if the Miata voltage is actually taking that long to hit its target, something's fishy.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

Agree, on every one I have seen, it tracks the target instantly.
Megasquirt is not for use on pollution controlled vehicles. Any advice I give is for off road use only.
stefanst
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by stefanst »

Sorry!

Here's the log. The time it takes to ramp up is apparently the programmed "ramp up" time. I didn't realize that it applies the "ramp up" every time the target voltage goes up.

And while at the strip I changed the alternator settings in order to see, what they influence, so my current MSQ is not 100% the same that generated the log. I may have slightly changed voltages- not sure.
nathaninwa
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by nathaninwa »

I'd be curious to see the et/mph difference between turning the alternator off to leaving it charging during a 1/4 mile run
Volvo 940, 2jzge, MS3Pro, daily
240Z, 2JZ, MS3Pro boost control
stefanst
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by stefanst »

nathaninwa wrote:I'd be curious to see the et/mph difference between turning the alternator off to leaving it charging during a 1/4 mile run
With all the mistakes I'm making, I seriously doubt the alternator has any decisive impact.

But it IS much easier to complain about the car and it's parts than to improve yourself :)
WestfieldMX5
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by WestfieldMX5 »

Just use one of these and be done with it.
2016 Westfield SEiW MX5 1.8 - 6sp - Torsen - MSM turbo - MS3 Pro - 2.3kg/hp