Testmode for PWM Fuel Pump

Testing and development of Megasquirt 3

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Speedy_G
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Testmode for PWM Fuel Pump

Post by Speedy_G »

Helllo,

just noticed while testing, that its not possible to put a PWM fuel pump into testmode.

For example when you want to measure the flow rate, but you only have a pwm controlled fuel pump. Then you can't set the pressure.
Because when you activate "fuel pump on" in the Inj/Spk Mode only FP Pin 37 is activated. But not the fuel pump PWM circuit with pressure control.

So i think it would be much better that when you activate "fuel pump on" in the output testmode, that the puel pump circuit according the settings is used and not just only pin 37.

then you could test if your system is really working without the need to have the engine running.
And even for further tests like constant pressure for measuring dead time and constant pressure for flow rate measurement.
matthunter1448
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: Testmode for PWM Fuel Pump

Post by matthunter1448 »

I can say the same. I was trying to test my fuel pump circuit for my pwm pump as well but finally realized it wasn't working so had to change variables to test it with the Jimstim, tested with my scope
Speedy_G
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: Testmode for PWM Fuel Pump

Post by Speedy_G »

and i found another failure.
I can't explain it yet.

I have a motorcycle fuel pump, with a current drain less then 5A.
So according to all manuals and a few posts here in the forum it should be absolute no problem to connect it directly to INJ1 outputs. Which have a maximum of 14A.
I even used both of them. (INJ1)

But when i drive the fuel pump over the INJ1 outputs (just ON or 100%pwm pulsewidth with the same result) i get less pressure as connecting it directly to the battery.
After this i tried alot with wiring. More cable diameter. More ground points for the megasquirt and so on. But its not possible to get the fuel pump to full power over the megasquirt. (All in Testmode)
Its a direct comparision, i also made some videos. Putting the cable to the battery its over 4 bar and putting it onto both INJ1 its only around 3 bar.

And when measuring the current drain, over the megasquirt its around 4A. And with the other method its 4.8A.
I can't explain why i get not the full power over the megasquirt?? :?: