MS3 pre-1.5 alpha 4 released

Testing and development of Megasquirt 3

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

suberimakuri
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: MS3 pre-1.5 alpha 4 released

Post by suberimakuri »

Installed fine using bundled loader on 7 year old ms3x.
Idles okay, I need to tune states. Event next Sunday so hopefully some good time to optimize and take logs.
shauer
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by shauer »

Finally upgraded to 1.5 alpha 4 from 1.4 beta 14 (yeah I know it's been a while).

Installed onto a very old MS3 without any issues.

I did received an ecu definition mismatch error from TS but after double checking that I selected the correct config file included with the firmware I ignored the error and everything appears to be running fine.

I'm working on dialing in the slow decel state threshold to get idle state engaged at the proper time. I have an aluminum flywheel so my engine spools up and down faster than many stock engines.

Should be out driving the car this next weekend and dialing in the tune.

Does anyone know how to display the engine state in MLV in only one trace? Some way to combine the multiple engine state bits into a single bit mapped value? It's really inconvenient to use up so many traces just to determine engine state when going through a log file. something like displaying a bus value on a logic analyzer in one composite trace (I know I'm dating myself...)

Besides this one minor annoyance I like the engine state feature a lot.
Steve Hauer
http://www.77e21.info
1977 BMW 320i with MAF, COP, IAC, Sequential fuel and spark, MS3 knock sensing
MS3 / MS3X / V3 mainboard, MS3 V1.5 a4
shauer
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by shauer »

Just a simple question for clarification on one of the engine state settings.

I'm running MAF and wanted to double check that the "Overrun MAP Threshold" is in fact a MAP based value even when configured to run MAF. All other engine load values would normally be based on MAF load in my configuration. Is engine state really still using MAP for overrun?

Taking my car out for it's first tuning drive this evening and wanted to understand this before I get started.

Thanks
Steve Hauer
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

shauer wrote:Just a simple question for clarification on one of the engine state settings.

I'm running MAF and wanted to double check that the "Overrun MAP Threshold" is in fact a MAP based value even when configured to run MAF. All other engine load values would normally be based on MAF load in my configuration. Is engine state really still using MAP for overrun?

Taking my car out for it's first tuning drive this evening and wanted to understand this before I get started.

Thanks
I will have to double check but I believe it is in fact using MAP.
Megasquirt is not for use on pollution controlled vehicles. Any advice I give is for off road use only.
subwoofer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by subwoofer »

Could this be changed so it is either configurable or follows the fuel load axis?
Joachim
1974 Jensen-Healey
1990 VW Caravelle Syncro - running MS3+X
2014 Ford Fiesta EcoBoost
shauer
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by shauer »

I just looked at this in my log file and the overrun state is in fact using the MAP signal. Not sure if that is intentional or not. I believe every other load based algorithm is using MafLoad when running MAF based tune?
Steve Hauer
subwoofer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by subwoofer »

And wouldn't AN based engines possibly have overrun fuel cut as well?
Joachim
1974 Jensen-Healey
1990 VW Caravelle Syncro - running MS3+X
2014 Ford Fiesta EcoBoost
suberimakuri
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by suberimakuri »

Configurable would be great, I have dual maps, one AN and one SD.
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

I'll look into making it load method dependent. I'll have to see what overrun fuel cut does. I think I originally copied it straight from there, but could be remembering wrong.

Ken
Megasquirt is not for use on pollution controlled vehicles. Any advice I give is for off road use only.
suberimakuri
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by suberimakuri »

Thanks Ken
KaPower
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by KaPower »

The vss1 vs vss2 traction control does not seem to respond like anticipated. The previous logs and MSQ should be referenced from my earlier posts in this thread regarding TC related issues with boost d/c.
  • TC does not react until it compares min-vss to both front and rear, so until the front moves TC won't turn on

TC slip * time does not react until after lifting off the throttle.

TC does not react until over 300% slip in some instances.
wrenchdad
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by wrenchdad »

Not sure if this is the place to ask for new features, but I would like to see a Air Conditioning cutout that works off of TPSdot. Just thinking about times when I have had to make a fast move in traffic or dodge some furry creature that is trying to jump in front of me, it's happened 3 times. So it would have helped if it could drop out based a fast movement of the throttle along with what we now have.

Just asking, won't be heart broken if it doesn't happen
Thanks wd
jacky4566
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by jacky4566 »

wrenchdad wrote:Not sure if this is the place to ask for new features, but I would like to see a Air Conditioning cutout that works off of TPSdot. Just thinking about times when I have had to make a fast move in traffic or dodge some furry creature that is trying to jump in front of me, it's happened 3 times. So it would have helped if it could drop out based a fast movement of the throttle along with what we now have.

Thanks wd
Why not set your TPS Shutoff lower? No way your engine is responding so fast that you can notice the loss in power.

Currently if you really wanted this you could use a programmable output ties to TPSdot and link that to a Solid State Relay/Transistor on the A/C Output.
wrenchdad
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by wrenchdad »

jacky4566 wrote:
wrenchdad wrote:Not sure if this is the place to ask for new features, but I would like to see a Air Conditioning cutout that works off of TPSdot. Just thinking about times when I have had to make a fast move in traffic or dodge some furry creature that is trying to jump in front of me, it's happened 3 times. So it would have helped if it could drop out based a fast movement of the throttle along with what we now have.

Thanks wd
Why not set your TPS Shutoff lower? No way your engine is responding so fast that you can notice the loss in power.

Currently if you really wanted this you could use a programmable output ties to TPSdot and link that to a Solid State Relay/Transistor on the A/C Output.
Because if I set my TPS Shutoff lower then when this little four banger hits the hills here in Mississippi, it will be turning off my AC and this past few weeks we have had heat indexes of 117 degrees F !! I have it set as low as I can for it not to turn off while running my cruise control. Like I said before this is for quick jumps in the throttle, where it would cut it out before it even got to the TPS shutoff settings.

Yes, I could this thru hardware with an relay but isn't the purpose of having a programmable ECU is to be able to do this thru the software with a setting? That's why I am "just" asking, it would kill me to not get it just thought it might be a useful feature.

thanks for your input,
later wd
suberimakuri
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by suberimakuri »

Wow.
I drive all my cars with air-conditioning on and in summer sometimes with the windows open a little.
I have yet to find air-conditioning provides that much of a power draw in a street car. From 1000cc up.
I have to ask what is the motor?
If it is that stressed then perhaps we can turbo it or something to make more power as it sounds totally dangerous for you to driving around with that engine.
wrenchdad
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by wrenchdad »

Well, its a Toyota 1.8L 7A block stroked out to 1.9 running 11 to 1 compression with a recent tranny swap from the 5 speed to a 6 speed manual transmission. Got the stroker kit from your side of the world from Manon Racing Products on the first group buy, probably put about 60K miles on it so far.
So it's doing a lot better than the 1.6L that was in there before, but I do appreciate the offer to boost it but I will stay with the NA for now, not having any problems with hills since building this stroker. Just on my FOURTH Corolla because of hitting deer and just thought that a TPSdot cutout "might" save me the trouble of swapping all the drive train over to another chassis, again!

Later wd
suberimakuri
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by suberimakuri »

Cool motor setup. Haven't seen a NA one yet.
Real bummer about lost cars.
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

There are hills in Mississippi? :shock: :lol:
Always doing things the hard way, MS2 sequential w/ v1.01 mainboard, LS2 coils. 80 mile/day commuter status.
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

Well ... those flood-plain dwellers call them hills ... :lol:
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Look into the "loop" feature.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".