Air Conditioning Control

Testing and development of Megasquirt 3

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Gazbon008
MS/Extra Newbie

Air Conditioning Control

Post by Gazbon008 »

I was wondering if you had thought of adding control for the Evaporator Temperature - to prevent freezing

Some modern cars have a electronic sensor imbedded into the Evaporator which could be feed into a Spare ADC input

Adding some controls into the Air Conditioning Idle Up dialog box could facilitate cycling of the compressor to prevent Evaporator Freezing

The A/C Compressor Shutoff section could include an Input for the Evaporator Temperature and a value to shutdown the Compressor and a Hysteresis

MS3X in use on this vehicle

Cheers

Gary
Last edited by Gazbon008 on Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
MegaSquirted :-
Stroked 383 Chev in a Patrol (Ms2) Custom 36 -1 Wheel - Bank Fired injectors with wasted spark coil packs
250-2v Australian Ford 6cyl in a oz built 1966 Jeep CJ-6 (Ms3x) Full Sequential - Coil on Plug
302 Windsor V8 in a XJ Jeep (Ms3x) Full Sequential - MSD Ls3 Coil Pack
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Air Conditioning Control

Post by prof315 »

Most evaporator temp sensors aren't temp sensors at all but rather switches that open at a certain temp. All you need to do is wire the temp switch in series with the A/C request signal ( and a pressure switch if you're smart) and presto no freeze up.
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!
Reverant
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Reverant »

Some cars do actually have thermistors, and others have a more elaborate scheme of two or more pressure control switches/resistors.
The man behind MS Labs
2005 Audi A3 2.0L TFSI DSG AWD - Extreme MS3
2002 Mazda Miata 1.8 6sp - Enhanced MS3 1.4.0, sequential injection, sequential ignition, big turbo, lots of boost
Gazbon008
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Gazbon008 »

Thank You for the information (prof315)

It did help me with the XJ Jeep I am working on :)

I still think the software feature I originally suggested is a good idea

Because as (Reverant) says some cars have a 2 wire thermistor such as the mid 90's Ford I have to do

Second as the output of some A/C Cycling Switches pulls High (such as the Jeep above) this means tying up the 12v Nitrous Input (or building an internal input into the Base) Some people might be lazy and want A/C plus Nitrous :twisted:

Also as a Spare ADC would still work with a feed from a Cycling Switch - the value would change suddenly is all - setting a value < or > when the switch broke would work fine (Hysteresis set to zero)

cheers

Gary
Stroked 383 Chev in a Patrol (Ms2) Custom 36 -1 Wheel - Bank Fired injectors with wasted spark coil packs
250-2v Australian Ford 6cyl in a oz built 1966 Jeep CJ-6 (Ms3x) Full Sequential - Coil on Plug
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

Actually many cars especially in the late 80s and early 90s used a going High 12V "A/C is on" signal to the ECU and pressure sensors and that does mean using the 12v Switched input to make things work with a factory set up. Or use a relay to invert the signal to going low.
Support the developers!
Gazbon008
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Gazbon008 »

prof315 wrote:Actually many cars especially in the late 80s and early 90s used a going High 12V "A/C is on" signal to the ECU and pressure sensors and that does mean using the 12v Switched input to make things work with a factory set up. Or use a relay to invert the signal to going low.
I was wondering about that but was worried
Would an electronic A/C Cycling Switch designed to send a signal to a ECU have enough amp/power rating to carry an automotive relay :?: :RTFM:

This seems to me to confirm the value of using an ADC input because it handles all input situations - Switches pulling high or low and thermistors giving a variable result.. :idea: :D
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

Gazbon008 wrote: Would an electronic A/C Cycling Switch designed to send a signal to a ECU have enough amp/power rating to carry an automotive relay :?: :RTFM:
Sure, when using a relay to invert a going high signal to going low, send the 12V to the relay coil, ground the other side of the coil and one side of the relay load contacts, and the other relay load contact becomes your going low signal to the ECU.
Support the developers!
Ghost
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Ghost »

I was actually looking for a similar functionality - I'm starting an ls swap and it would be nice to have a table that outputs a specific duty cycle based on evaporator temperature in order to run a variable displacement ac compressor.

Sent from my SGP771 using Tapatalk