Nitrous feature request: Fueling in lb/hr instead of pw

Testing and development of Megasquirt 3

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Nitrous feature request: Fueling in lb/hr instead of pw

Post by Matt Cramer »

I had a conversation with a customer about the time based progressive nitrous. This feature looks a bit problematic when using dry flow, as the fuel addition is done by a simple pulse width vs time. There are a couple problems I see with this.

1. The fuel is entered as a raw pulse width, meaning that if you change the injectors you will have to rescale this.
2. The actual fuel flow added will be proportional to both the time chart and the engine RPM. The higher the RPM, the more fuel flow. So if something like a bad launch puts your RPM too low - you end up going lean.

Having the ECU use a fuel flow rate in TunerStudio instead of pulse width would solve both these issues. The problem is by far the biggest when using the time based progressive mode, but I think specifying fuel flow instead of pulse width will be an improvement with any dry flow setup - on/off or RPM based progressive too. Any thoughts from the nitrous crowd?
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
no bottle
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: Nitrous feature request: Fueling in lb/hr instead of pw

Post by no bottle »

I think the way Matt proposed the fueling for dry nitrous would be a much more user friendly way to go about adding extra fuel for dry nitrous. Another thing that could be useful is for on/off dry nitrous is to have a adjustable added fuel delay. Most people tend to put a delay on the added fuel because it usually is much faster at adding extra fuel compared to how long it takes for the nitrous to get to full flow rate into the manifold. A injector is a much faster electromechanical device compared to a nitrous solenoid, espically big nitrous solenoids. But hands down doing fueling in lb/hr would be my biggest request. You could pry get away with out a added delay by just doing on/off systems in progressive mode and just doing a delay in the nitrous fuel added table, but it could be a nice thing to have (assuming it is in lb/hr of fuel instead of pw).
Thanks
Z32 TT
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Z32 TT »

Has this been modified yet? I have always wondered this exact thing with dry nitrous enrichment.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

This strategy might help with the thread shown here:

http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 31&t=63902
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
Shady16
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Shady16 »

Anyone made any headway with this? It would be much easier.