Feature request - VVT below op temp table switching

Testing and development of Megasquirt 3

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

monsi
MS/Extra Newbie

Feature request - VVT below op temp table switching

Post by monsi »

Judging by the lack of responses when I was after help with this I guess it doesn't effect too many people but...

In the VVT section there is an option to disable the VVT below a certain temperature, as the oil is too thick to control the cam correctly, which is good. I am using this option as before the engine is up to temperature if I enable VVT the inlet cam will advance fully at idle and stall the engine. However until it warms up the engine runs quite badly as without the VVT the VE is quite drastically different, which can't be corrected through WUE/ASE. I guess that the OEM ECU either operates in the same way or has a 3D table with temperature as an additional axis.

I would like to be able to switch tables in software based on whether the VVT is in operation or not, this would be similar to the VVT On/Off used for the high lift cams

I know this would be simple to bench test but I would be happy to perform on car testing for any development builds.

Thanks
jsiedlicki
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: Feature request - VVT below op temp table switching

Post by jsiedlicki »

Not sure what firmware your using but I'm looking at the 1.5 alpha 4 and it appears you already can.
path4138.png
MS3-Pro 1st Gen | Honda K24 Supercharged
MS3/MS3X | SB Ford 347 stroker
Reverant
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Reverant »

You can switch the fuel/ignition tables if the VVT angle is say, more than 10* using one of the loop outputs.
The man behind MS Labs
2005 Audi A3 2.0L TFSI DSG AWD - Extreme MS3
2002 Mazda Miata 1.8 6sp - Enhanced MS3 1.4.0, sequential injection, sequential ignition, big turbo, lots of boost
monsi
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by monsi »

Hi sorry I didn't get a notification that anyone had replied.

Sorry I should have said I'm using the latest stable firmware version 1.4.1

The On/Off VVT is for the VTEC style high lift cams. It doesn't provide any function for switching tables if the CLT is below VVT operating temperature.

Ok I've not seen anything about being able to set a output based on the vvti error or loop back outputs. That sounds like just what I'm after where do I need to look for those settings?

Thanks
Reverant
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Reverant »

Go to the last programmable outputs, they are called loop 1, loop 2, loop 3.

Set one of them to "trigger" when the vvt angle is more than what you would like to switch tables. A substantial figure should be about 8-10 degrees.

Then go to the switch tables options, and set the input to trigger on to loop 1 (or 2, etc).
The man behind MS Labs
2002 Mazda Miata 1.8 6sp - Enhanced MS3 1.4.0, sequential injection, sequential ignition, big turbo, lots of boost
monsi
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by monsi »

Thanks Reverant, I'd never seen any mention of those loop outputs.

I can't set it based on the vvti angle because it's always within the valid range, unless there is a vvti error reading I've missed, but I can get it to switch on vvti duty cycle. As below CLT temperature the duty is 0 and above its a minimum of 36.

Thanks again

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk
Reverant
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Reverant »

You can use the angle and add temperature to the loop output. You can also combine multiple loops if you need more than 2 variables to trigger the table switching.
The man behind MS Labs