New instal, injector wiring / timing question -

Testing and development of Megasquirt 3

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

KW78
Helpful MS/Extra'er

New instal, injector wiring / timing question -

Post by KW78 »

Hi,

I am doing a new build of a NA miata 1.6 with a Ms3x. It races in a limited prep class in NASA.

I am only using a 36-2 wheel on the crank, no cam sensor. I intend to have wasted COP, and either batch fired or semi sequential injection mode. As such, I am wiring the injectors using pins 32-35, on the MS3 board and not using injector outputs from the MS3x board.

I have read many threads here and elsewhere :RTFM: :RTFM: :RTFM: and the manuals. I still don't understand the fundamental theory difference between the two injector modes. I have read lots of posts where people are guessing and using trial and error for req fuel changes between the two also...

So, now as I went to make the injector connectors, I was intending to make my bank 1 injectors #1 and #4 on the INJ1 wires (pin 32,33) and bank 2 injectors #2 and #3. This mirroring the wasted spark, which, with the injection timing table that seems to reference TDC of the firing stroke, seems intuitively correct.

(Is the injection timing table even used on batch fire? or Semi sequential mode?)

I thought I would refence the factory manual for another point of reference only to discover that they are batch firing #1 and #3, and #2 and #4. This muddles the injection timing theory for me even more. :shock:

Can anyone fill in the gaps I seem to be missing here? I would REALLY appreciate thoroughly understanding the theory and intent here.

I realize that either way is going to work probably, but one MAJOR reason we chose the MS3X on this project is for the individual cylinder tuning abilities. Finding a couple horsepower on these limited prep class miatas is worth the effort on the dyno and makes a difference on the track.

Thanks much in advance for any help!!

Kyle W.
Sector Purple Racing.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Re: New instal, injector wiring / timing question -

Post by jsmcortina »

To benefit from per-cylinder fuel trim you need to use the MS3X injector outputs.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
KW78
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by KW78 »

jsmcortina wrote:To benefit from per-cylinder fuel trim you need to use the MS3X injector outputs.

James

Really? :cry: And I just crimped the connectors into the harnes.....

On the MS3x outputs, do I need to enable full sequential to do individual cylinder tuning, or will it respond to trimming a bank for example?

Still would love some discussion on the difference between "Semi"-sequential and Batch.

Thanks,
Kyle
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

semi sequential is a bit like wasted spark but for the injectors they are fired in pairs each rotation of the crank but timed to a specific angle, where as batch fire is not tied to a specific crank angle the injection timing can change from one start to the next.
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
KW78
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by KW78 »

grom_e30 wrote:semi sequential is a bit like wasted spark but for the injectors they are fired in pairs each rotation of the crank but timed to a specific angle....
THANKS!!

I have loaded an older ms3x project and played around in TSu. It look like semi sequential turns on the injector timing table, so sounds like I can mess with that. This motor is going to operate 5500-8000 for extended times, so it seems like you should allow more time for the process to work the higher the RPM, but maybe it doesn't matter if you just have enough time with a big setting in all conditions.

Also from within tunerstudio, it looks like there are INJ1 and INJ2 channels present in both the fuel trim table list, and the EGO sensor mapping dialogue. The trim table has a 6x6 table active implying that is available, with the "Sequential fuel outputs" set to STD fuel. and set to SEMI SEQUENTIAL.

The CYL 1 thru 4 trim tables never are active unless fuel is set to FULL SEQUENTIAL and the output is set to MS3X. Interestingly, if set to MS3X outputs, no trim tables are active in any mode but FULL sequential.

Thanks again!
Kyle
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

with semi sequential and full sequential the main advantage of the injector timing is found at idle and low rpm. at high rpm the timing has less effect as the p/w is much larger.
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????