Traction control feature request- %slip X mph

Testing and development of Megasquirt 3

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

93supercoupe
Master MS/Extra'er

Traction control feature request- %slip X mph

Post by 93supercoupe »

I was thinking of something for traction control

Similar to the 0-5v knob option, have a %slip X MPH table. This would allow more slip off the line and allow it to be tightened up when moving faster. This would be useful for drag racing and other standing start situations where you might want a little slip at first but alot less when the speeds are greater.

This would also give us the ability to essentially turn off the TC above a certain MPH

Also, this could serve as a work around for guys that are having issues with VVS2 becoming unstable at higher speeds.

Chime in with thoughts!
BootlegTuned
whittlebeast
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Traction control feature request- %slip X mph

Post by whittlebeast »

Here is a little reading from a fairly well sorted system. If all goes well, I will be working with one of these next spring.

http://www.racelogic.co.uk/_downloads/t ... Manual.pdf

Andy
KaPower
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by KaPower »

Something like this would be great! Even making the current code actually function and bug free would be nice though...
I'm no expert, but maybe some sort of "Launch mode" will be required to transition a standing start into a more general traction control strategy?
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

KaPower wrote:Even making the current code actually function and bug free would be nice though...
Explain.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
Reverant
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Reverant »

whittlebeast wrote:Here is a little reading from a fairly well sorted system. If all goes well, I will be working with one of these next spring.

http://www.racelogic.co.uk/_downloads/t ... Manual.pdf

Andy
One of the people I've talked with that was using the RL system said he didn't like it; he had a 4 cylinder engine, and stopping even a single cylinder removed too much power, and the change was not gradual, so the car's balance was upset.
The man behind MS Labs
2005 Audi A3 2.0L TFSI DSG AWD - Extreme MS3
2002 Mazda Miata 1.8 6sp - Enhanced MS3 1.4.0, sequential injection, sequential ignition, big turbo, lots of boost
whittlebeast
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by whittlebeast »

I personally race, autocross where nothing is predictable by design. One weekend we may be in second gear on slick wet conditions. The next weekend, we may be on grippy concrete in 4th gear. We have to build a car that can be controlled no matter what the designers throw at us.

Rule number 1) You must have enough power to blow off the tires at any time.

Rule number 2) You must have the ability to control the power in any gear on any surface at any time.

We only get three tries to get one lap as near perfect as possible.

I love racing.

Andy
93supercoupe
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by 93supercoupe »

Ive had great luck with the MS traction control in the past.

But im suggesting is just a little more depth to it.

If you dead hook a honda with slicks, it will basically stall. And a little wheel slip in 1st gear isnt always a bad thing. But any slip at the top of 4th could put you in a wall.
BootlegTuned
Laminar
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Laminar »

93supercoupe wrote:Similar to the 0-5v knob option, have a %slip X MPH table. This would allow more slip off the line and allow it to be tightened up when moving faster. This would be useful for drag racing and other standing start situations where you might want a little slip at first but alot less when the speeds are greater.
Does the "Perfect Run VSS" setting not cover this scenario? You know what your actual wheel speed should be at every second after launch, so you can adjust the characterizer to allow more spin at first, then tighten up near the end.
93supercoupe
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by 93supercoupe »

It does in a "perfect run", but that only really helps under the same circumstances. IE- same temp, track conditions, tire pressure, ect.
BootlegTuned
KaPower
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by KaPower »

jsmcortina wrote:
KaPower wrote:Even making the current code actually function and bug free would be nice though...
Explain.

James
Looks like the "boost bug" was fixed in the latest alpha (although I have not tested it). I'am referring to the VSS1 vs VSS2 traction mode, where the boost control solenoid duty% reaction was going the wrong way and commanding full boost along with cutting fuel and retarding timing.
KaPower
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by KaPower »

If you take a look at datalogs, the current implementation of traction control doesn't handle launches with tire spin very well. It'd be nice to have some sort of closed loop launch mode to help limit boost and retard timing to limit wheel spin at "the hit".