Add more than 24 CanADC channels

Testing and development of Megasquirt 3

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

nvr2fst
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Add more than 24 CanADC channels

Post by nvr2fst »

Hi,

I've take up a lot of canadc channels CanADC1-8 are EGT, CanADC9-16 are wideband and Can 17-18 are backpressure compensation for EGO. The problem is I also run a microsquirt box as an IO extension device and the software forces me to select the CanADC start point a 1,9 or 17 which isn't possible to configure because 17 & 18 are backpressure sensors.
Any thoughts or suggestions?
Reverant
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Add more than 24 CanADC channels

Post by Reverant »

A while ago I wrote a patch to add another 24 ADC channels, that was while we were on firmware V1.2. It hasn't made it in the code, obviously by choice. Perhaps it's time to have a look at this issue again? I too could use the additional channels now but I'm fed up with porting the code every time a new firmware version comes out.
The man behind MS Labs
2005 Audi A3 2.0L TFSI DSG AWD - Extreme MS3
2002 Mazda Miata 1.8 6sp - Enhanced MS3 1.4.0, sequential injection, sequential ignition, big turbo, lots of boost
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

We might be able to look at it again for 1.6. One suggestion was to support bringing data in from the CANEGT without going via the CANADC channels. Using standard CAN instead of "Megasquirt-CAN" and listening out for regular broadcast messages would be one way to achieve this.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
Reverant
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Reverant »

Obviously that somewhat solves the problem, however having 32 or 40 or 48 channels would immediately solve any channel shortages altogether.
The man behind MS Labs
2005 Audi A3 2.0L TFSI DSG AWD - Extreme MS3
2002 Mazda Miata 1.8 6sp - Enhanced MS3 1.4.0, sequential injection, sequential ignition, big turbo, lots of boost
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

It may be too late / expensive / annoying for the OP to try this arrangement, but a jbperf IO-Extender can connect up to 16 (?) 14point7 Spartan OEM WBO2 controllers via I2C, or up to 8 LC-1/LC-2 or PLX controllers via serial. These are then made available to the MS3 as 'CANEGO', with WB controller #1 matched to cyl #1, etc.
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
nvr2fst
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by nvr2fst »

Reverant wrote:Obviously that somewhat solves the problem, however having 32 or 40 or 48 channels would immediately solve any channel shortages altogether.
Exactly! Simply add more channels would be perfect for my setup. It would also be nice if there was more flexibility in assigning the first CANadc number for the IO box too. Instead of forcing me to use 1,9,17 and etc. Let me choose any number 1-(max value)
nvr2fst
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by nvr2fst »

Hi Everyone,
I wanted to see if anyone could patch this for me asap? I'm glad to pay for the help to extend the channels. I'm at a stop on the project until I can get more CAN channels.
Speedy_G
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Speedy_G »

+1
More CAN ADC channels would be nice. I'm running out of limits too ... soon.