MS3 pre-1.5.1 beta 1 firmware released

Testing and development of Megasquirt 3

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

jsmcortina
Site Admin

MS3 pre-1.5.1 beta 1 firmware released

Post by jsmcortina »

To announce the release of "MS3 pre-1.5.1 beta 1" this fixes some bugs in "MS3 1.5.0 release".

Who should use this code?
Users wanting to test the new features or as directed by tech support to workaround known issues in 1.5.0.

Who should not use this code?
Unless directed by tech support, new or casual users should use the current release code instead – see the Downloads page linked above.

Main changes since 1.5.0 release firmware

Bug fixes:
Correct ini scaling error on fuel pressure for bar and psi.
Fix an engine states issue interacting with idle where once you're in CL idle, you don't come out of it until the throttle is pressed.
Variable tacho gave wrong config error.
Fix for overrun fuel cut to respect the RPMDot-based RPM limits for turning fuel back on.
Fix "Communications Established" message popping up.

New / changed features:
Add command buttons for 'Stop Engine' and 'Reset ECU'

Minor / internal:
SDcard readback enhancements.
SDcard falls back to standard baud if errors during baudhigh

The firmware zip is available from: http://www.msextra.com/downloads/dev/ms3/1-5-1/beta-1/

Be sure to read the README.txt and RELEASE-NOTES.txt that are supplied in the zipfile.

Some of the ini changes will result in harmless warnings when loading MSQs from 1.4.x
Users upgrading from 1.2.x or earlier codes need to pay more attention.
TunerStudio 3.0.16.6 beta or later is REQUIRED.
TunerStudio 3.0.18.09 beta or later is recommended for reliable SDcard readback.

Go ahead and use the built-in firmware loader on the Tools menu of TunerStudio 3.0.x - you'll like it.
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
whittlebeast
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: MS3 pre-1.5.1 beta 1 firmware released

Post by whittlebeast »

Here is a video of the new engine kill feature. Under <Can-bus/Testmodes> <Engine Control>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2Cq1NuAeTk

Way cool. No more reaching thru the window to kill the motor.

Is everyone using the load firmware feature built into TS? Are you seeing any error related pop-ups on the TS screens regarding loading existing sensor calibrations?

Andy
Last edited by whittlebeast on Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheSilverBuick
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by TheSilverBuick »

whittlebeast wrote:Here is a video of the new engine kill feature. Under <Can-bus/Testmodes> <Engine Control>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2Cq1NuAeTk

Way cool. No more reaching thru the window to kill the motor.Are you getting any errors

Is everyone using the load firmware feature built into TS? Are you seeing any error related pop-ups on the TS screens regarding loading existing sensor calibrations?

Andy
Cool! I've always used a toggle switch on my high pressure fuel pump to shut down the engine without turning the key off, I like a TS control.
"Hey, at least the Skylark proves that even a messy hack can patch together a reliable EFI system. I can't think of a time the MegaSquirt has left me stranded since installation ~100,000 miles ago."

Drag Week 2011, 2012 & 2015. - BB N/A - 1977 Skylark w/Buick 455 EFI and TKO-600!
AbatelliCristian
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by AbatelliCristian »

This is very good for Bluetooth connection... when I turn off and on the key, Bluetooth is very slow int the re-connection
whittlebeast
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by whittlebeast »

AbatelliCristian wrote:This is very good for Bluetooth connection... when I turn off and on the key, Bluetooth is very slow int the re-connection
I have heard that one before. I don't recall the cause but as I recall, it had something to do with standard Bluetooth protocol and error recovery. Geek stuff.

Try a trick... <Ctrl> <Shift> <F10> forces Tuner Studio to reload of the project. I learned that one when I was testing the Ultimate on USB, pure Serial db9, Serial to Bluetooth, Serial to USB and Serial to USB thru Cat7 and back to USB.

Andy
AbatelliCristian
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by AbatelliCristian »

Yes, If I reload the project, the connection is fast... but if the new feature "reset cpu" work well, is cool... Tomorrow I will test it
whittlebeast
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by whittlebeast »

Now that I think about it "Reset ECU" seemed ever faster than the other trick. I don't think I was ever tried running the Bluetooth connection when I was testing the Engine Controls screen. You can see in that video that I was running the 15 foot Cat7 cable. As an experiment checking for comms error tolerance, I even tried laying the Cat7 cable right on the spark plug wires as I reved the motor.

With this new code and TS, try down loading a large data log. We are getting about 40 kb/sec on old MS3x units and about 140 kb/sec on the MS3 Pros and MS3 Ultimate setups. Way faster than we have ever seen before. I log at 200 samples per sec and I have seen other people run their Ultimate up to 350 samples per sec. Downloads are no longer painful.

Andy
jsiedlicki
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by jsiedlicki »

Can the new "Stop Engine" feature be triggered via a digital input or a programmable on/off?
MS3-Pro 1st Gen | Honda K24 Supercharged
MS3/MS3X | SB Ford 347 stroker
whittlebeast
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by whittlebeast »

jsiedlicki wrote:Can the new "Stop Engine" feature be triggered via a digital input or a programmable on/off?
At this point, it is not.
MWPau
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by MWPau »

jsiedlicki wrote:Can the new "Stop Engine" feature be triggered via a digital input or a programmable on/off?
Via simple canbus messages would be nice too (not the MS can protocol). Same down with all the other on/off inputs and outputs.
Toyota Celica GT4/Alltrac with 5S-GTE stroker (2.2L I4 turbo, high CR) on E85 w/FlexFuel.
MS3 + MS3X + KnockBoard + RTC + BT + DIY CAN-IO-Board + DIY CAN Digital Dash.
elaw
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elaw »

I just updated to the beta and am having a couple of problems.

First is at startup. If you look at the two attached logs, you'll see that with 1.5.0 just as the engine starts, the "engine idling" variable goes to 1 and stays there pretty consistently. And the RPM profile for startup is about as you'd expect... it goes up to about 1600 RPM then settles to the programmed speed.

With the 1.5.1 beta, "engine idling" goes between 0 and 1 a couple of times in the first half-second after the engine catches, then is 0 until about 1.5 seconds after firing. During that time the PWM idle value is very low and RPM stays low. Only about a second later when PID idle engages does the RPM come up to where it should be.

In addition to the two logs, my 1.5.1 msq is attached. It's unchanged from the 1.5.0 tune except I'd increased the PWM idle cranking duty values a bit in an attempt to compensate for this issue.

I'll discuss the other issue in a new post so I can attach another file.
Eric Law
1990 Audi 80 quattro with AAN turbo engine: happily running on MS3+MS3X
2012 Audi A4 quattro, desperately in need of tweaking

Be alert! America needs more lerts.
elaw
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elaw »

My other issue also relates to idle control, when the cooling fan comes on.

In the attached log, I've just coasted to a stop in traffic with the engine fully warm. CL idle engages and all is well for a while. Then at 1088.781 seconds the cooling fan comes on and the idle control system just seems to freak out. Initially there's a small RPM dip and "engine idling" goes to 0, and from that point onward it doesn't seem able to achieve a stable state. During that time the fan was not cycling, it was on the whole time from the 1088.781-second point until I hit the accelerator at 1101.625 seconds.

.msq is the same as in the previous post... note I'm not using any of the cooling fan control features of the MS.

I'm also attaching a log taken with 1.5.0 where this issue is not present. If you look at RPMDot at the 1056.422-second point you can see a dip where the cooling fan kicks in but "engine idling" remains at 1 and there's no weird stuff happening.
Eric Law

muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

The only thing that will kick you out of "engine idling" state is if you press the throttle or the RPMdot causes it to be in "engine accelerating" or "engine declerating" state.

I think the only reason you didn't notice this before was because there was a bug that made it so that once PID idle kicked on, the engine state leaving "idle" state wouldn't kick you out of PID (which caused you specifically other problems).

I think you'll probably have to take another look at your RPMdot settings.
Megasquirt is not for use on pollution controlled vehicles. Any advice I give is for off road use only.
elaw
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elaw »

Thanks!

I changed the slow accel/decel thresholds to +/- 500 and starting is much improved. I'll be able to test later to see if it helped with the fan issue but it make sense that it would as RPMDot when the fan started in that log was -240.
Eric Law

ashford
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ashford »

just tried it out on the coyote, no major changes in the way it runs. i finally switched on the cl idle initial table and used the engine states left vss off as mine quits above 50mph. took a bit of tuning but works nicely.

the only possible buggy bit i noticed is that fan and ac idle adder is removed from the stepper when closed loop is not active so with fan and ac on 2% throttle is a lower rpm than idle.
nathaninwa
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by nathaninwa »

I made nine 1/8 mile passes today with this code. Nothing to report so far on it. Only thing I need to work on is getting vss's reading correctly for traction control
Volvo 940, 2jzge, MS3Pro, daily
240Z, 2JZ, MS3Pro boost control
David_G
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by David_G »

I'm having issues with the Idle Valve transition from Cranking to Run Mode (Crank to Run Taper [s] ). Before the update I had 2s in there and the transition was fast but smooth.
Now, after the update the PWM Idle Duty is rapidly switching to the run position no matter what value I put into that field, which is almost stalling the engine. I tried 1, 10, 20, 50 and 100 seconds. No matter which value, there is no transition happening but only a sudden switch. -> see screenshot

This sudden transition lets RPM drop far to much after Cranking wich almost causes the engine to stall. Only after CL-Idle is engaged, the RPMs are slowly recovering to target RPM

Also why is the Idle Valve duty suddenly increased for 0.9s after being in "Run"-mode before it is suddenly decreased again. Where is that high value coming from?
David_G
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by David_G »

Just for comparison the Hot cranking behaviour in 1.5.0 with the Crank to Run taper time set to 2s.

Current Log and tune file attached
krisr
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by krisr »

That would be pretty cool to integrate it with a gps tracker to kill the engine.
Sydney, Australia
1971 Holden Monaro HQ
MS3X Sequentially fuelled 400 Pontiac
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

David_G, you need to tune engine states.
Megasquirt is not for use on pollution controlled vehicles. Any advice I give is for off road use only.