Suggestion: Change LagFactor default values

Testing and development of Megasquirt 3

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Dennis_Zx7r
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Suggestion: Change LagFactor default values

Post by Dennis_Zx7r »

The values in the default tune are around 50. It is my understanding that these should be kept at the maximum value possible, and only be reduced in special circumstances, and therefore suggest 100 as a default.

Many users never seem to change these if the overall setup "works" and misunderstand what the corresponding code actually does, and how the factors can mask problems in log data.
More importantly, in my experience especially the non-enthusiasts also seem to think of the defaults as the desirable values only to be fiddled with if there are problems (Status quo bias).
My project: Link
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Suggestion: Change LagFactor default values

Post by slow_hemi6 »

Don't we get enough noise issues with the defaults at 50. Maybe turn them up some but I don't know about 100 (no smoothing). Not sure that won't cause more problems than it solves.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
mrx79
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: Suggestion: Change LagFactor default values

Post by mrx79 »

As far as i know the lag functionality has some issues (at least it had in MS2) when the lag factor is choosen too small due to internal resolution issues.
I therefore tried to use an as high as possible lag factor.
I ended up with lag factors near 90-100, so if the HW environment is good, this shouldn't be an issue.
Honda CRX B16A1 Turbo | MS3 running | pre1.5.1 beta7 Firmware | 24/1 Dual Wheel | COP ignition | 725cc ID injectors