Scramble boost type input feature request

Testing and development of Megasquirt 3

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

nathaninwa
Super MS/Extra'er

Scramble boost type input feature request

Post by nathaninwa »

I remember when I had my AEM Truboost controller, it had a high and low boost setting along with an override called scramble boost that commanded a separate third dc

Racing this weekend I thought that would be need a neat feature to have again for when the lanes get better between runs. I'm in a points series race and put a tuneup in it to make it without spinning the tires, but sometimes I feel I could use some extra boost!

I run a Glide and use a micro switch on the shifter for a boost by gear setup so both tables are being used currently. If there was a simple ground input over ride to a specific boost duty or boost target that closed loop would control as well

I've setup a generic Pwm table I may use, but the weather is getting hotter and some days cooler here in the PNW and in the 90* heat it was taking 10dc more to make 14 lbs than two weeks ago in like 60* weather so have a closed loop target switch would be cool
Volvo 940, 2jzge, MS3Pro, daily
240Z, 2JZ, MS3Pro boost control
fastbarry
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: Scramble boost type input feature request

Post by fastbarry »

I would love to have this as well. I have a sand rail with a turboed ls v8 and boost by gear running a ms3pro. I would love a scramble boost feature as well for drag racing and hill climbing as conditions apply.
93supercoupe
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by 93supercoupe »

x3, would be nice to have
BootlegTuned
nathaninwa
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by nathaninwa »

If this feature isn't to much trouble, this is something I'd be willing to pay for myself for it to get implemented
fastbarry
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by fastbarry »

nathaninwa wrote:If this feature isn't to much trouble, this is something I'd be willing to pay for myself for it to get implemented

i would pitch in as well.
suberimakuri
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by suberimakuri »

I'll throw in a few beans (money) for this too. :)
thokes82
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by thokes82 »

super pursuit mode! :yeah!:
Race car building documentation: www.kessel.tk (nice pics but only german laguage so far...)
nathaninwa
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by nathaninwa »

Just bringing this back to the top. I've got a few races this year that this would come in handy on
fastbarry
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by fastbarry »

just giving this a bump. just gave a $50 good will donation to ms3.
nathaninwa
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by nathaninwa »

Thinking about this feature more the other night I might just have a work around

So my idea is since boost target is tps based I can manipulate the 5v signal to MS

On the shifter I have a microswitch with a n/o and n/c output option. When the shifter handle is in Low gear it activates the switch making the n/o open ground and the n/c open. This position does two things for me, the n/o now grounds my electric shifter solenoid relay that is triggered by my shift light and the n/c which is open makes MS use the boost table 1 option

Once my revlimiter has been met the shift solenoid makes the shift. This creates this scenario. The n/o part now ungrounds my shift solenoid relay so it won't shift again if the revlimiter light gos off, and the n/c part now grounds table switching which activates boost table 2.

This in essence locks out my solenoid on the shift and gives me boost by gear on a power Glide

I was now wanting to have an option to have a sramble boost for track use to add more power down track if conditions will hold, or more simply put when running heads up not having to run all the boost each pass just to move onto the next round

So, my day dream thoughts were to run a resistor on the n/o wire that controls my shift solendoid to the 5vref on the tps return wire to MS. What I'm thinking is when in low gear even at wot I can create say an 80% tps maximum. This will allow a low gear boost row on table 1, then when the shift happens MS will get full 100% tps and high gear can run more boost, or the curve i set based on rpm. Now having two boost targets on the same table will allow me to run my scramble boost button to table switch to boost target 2 and turn it up when I neee
nathaninwa
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by nathaninwa »

Update to this. I have the tps part of the setup working. Low gear is 75% and high gear is 100%. So boost by gear on target table one. Just need to wire in the table switching option

James, does the bump box button disable with the transbrake stuff? I tried in an msq and using my bump input pin to also work table switching didn't cause an error with two functions under one input

https://youtu.be/EF7qtw_Hx24
nathaninwa
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by nathaninwa »

Had a chance to try this out today at the track, and very effective it is
93supercoupe
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by 93supercoupe »

Thats a solid work around, nice job!!
BootlegTuned
wes kiser
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by wes kiser »

Why not just put it on a blend table, and wire your button up so the only way it ever sees the top row is when on the button (resistor and simple "T" to 5v). There is an existing feature there that already can easily do what you want without faking anything out.
86 Rx-7, swapped to 2.3 ford turbo (BW EFR 6758), ms3/ms3x sequential fuel /waste spark, ls2 coils
88 Tbird 2.3t, Microsquirt Module (PIMP), TFI ignition
nathaninwa
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by nathaninwa »

Blend between boost target 1 and boost target 2 with boost target 2 being my button boost level? That would work but some tracks I need wastage to just past peak tq in low gear and blend to 200, then I can ask for 210 and ramp it in higher in high gear, all that blending would be difficult to think about at the track

This way I have gear defendant boost and what ever I want on button boost. It's working great and was able to make my best pass yet of 8.28@173 last weekend
nathaninwa
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by nathaninwa »

Went to a no prep race yesterday, went a few rounds, but this boost on demand setup is rather nice. Would be cool to have it a standard feature.