CAN Bus - diagnostic - feature add.

Testing and development of Megasquirt 3

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

ca434sbc4
Experienced MS/Extra'er

CAN Bus - diagnostic - feature add.

Post by ca434sbc4 »

When trying to troubleshoot Can-bus issues a means to stream the can-bus (both directions) traffic to the USB port (MS run state - engine off/disabled) or record the traffic to a file would have save a bunch of time. James, Ben at DIY can fill you in on the details re: Ted Allen's install.

Thanks

Marc
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: CAN Bus - diagnostic - feature add.

Post by racingmini_mtl »

It would be useful to have some details here without having to go to a third party.

But I have to say that adding streaming data to/from the USB port is not a good idea because that will interfere with the MS protocol which would make it difficult to use TunerStudio to set/unset this streaming mode.

I know that this is not what you want to read but if you have issues with the CAN bus, what you should look into is a very simple USB CAN adapter. For a very low cost you can see all the bus traffic even when the trouble is the ECU itself. You could even ask DIYAutotune to carry such a product but you can easily find them on ebay and other online shops.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
Raymond_B
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: CAN Bus - diagnostic - feature add.

Post by Raymond_B »

racingmini_mtl wrote:It would be useful to have some details here without having to go to a third party.

But I have to say that adding streaming data to/from the USB port is not a good idea because that will interfere with the MS protocol which would make it difficult to use TunerStudio to set/unset this streaming mode.

I know that this is not what you want to read but if you have issues with the CAN bus, what you should look into is a very simple USB CAN adapter. For a very low cost you can see all the bus traffic even when the trouble is the ECU itself. You could even ask DIYAutotune to carry such a product but you can easily find them on ebay and other online shops.

Jean
I wonder if that runs under Windows 8 or 10?
1995 Ford Lightning. Dart based 427 Windsor, Novi 2000, full sequential, E-85, etc. MS3X/v3.57
http://www.buildpics.org/