Coyote 5.0 Cam Fault/Losing Sync MS3Pro Ultimate

Testing and development of Megasquirt 3

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

TonyR85
MS/Extra Newbie

Coyote 5.0 Cam Fault/Losing Sync MS3Pro Ultimate

Post by TonyR85 »

I'm just finishing up a new MS3Pro Ultimate installation on a 5.0L Coyote in a Cobra Jet drag car and am experiencing a cam fault once the engine fires. During cranking I see full sync. What would be causing this, and how do I resolve it?

The engine has all 4 cams mechanically locked out as they are very aggressive custom grinds, so VVT control is not required. The cams do have OEM 7 tooth reluctors that I would prefer to not modify.

As of today I'm using cam and crank settings per the manual, with Coyote VVT settings also enabled, but no outputs assigned for the phasers. It has OEM hall effect sensors on the intake cams with +12vref and 10k pull-up resistors. Assuming I should be able to use just the passenger side sensor for main cam/VVT1 but I also have the driver side sensor set up as VVT3. I do not have the exhaust cam VR sensors hooked up.

I also looked at potentially using "poll level" input on the cam but the trigger event seems to be between teeth. I figured the Coyote VVT decoder would be the best place to start.

I've attached composite logs of the engine cranking and also of the engine cranking to running. As previously mentioned it seems to lose full sync after it fires and throws a cam fault.

I will follow up with cranking and cranking to running data logs as well as current msq.

Thanks,
Tony Reiners
Attachments
cranking.csv
cranking composite log
(31.67 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
cranktorun.csv
crank to run composite log
(209.21 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
Last edited by TonyR85 on Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TonyR85
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: Coyote 5.0 Cam Fault/Losing Sync MS3Pro Ultimate

Post by TonyR85 »

Here are the additional files. I also forgot to mention its on MS3 pre-1.5.1 beta 7 firmware.

Thanks,
Tony Reiners
Attachments
cranking.msl
cranking log
(189.28 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
cranktorun.msl
cranking to running log
(187.04 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
cobrajet.msq
current tune
(285.43 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
ashford
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ashford »

right side intake sensor gets hooked up to cam in, and the vvt needs to be turned on and offsets ballparked. i could do the msq side for you if you want
TonyR85
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by TonyR85 »

ashford wrote:right side intake sensor gets hooked up to cam in, and the vvt needs to be turned on and offsets ballparked. i could do the msq side for you if you want
Right side (passenger) cam sensor is hooked up to main cam input. CAM1(vvt1) is set to main cam. I've attached screen shots of my current settings along with current tune. Any help would be appreciated!
VVT
VVT
current vvt settings.JPG (166.64 KiB) Viewed 379 times
IGN
IGN
current ign settings.JPG (126.43 KiB) Viewed 379 times
Attachments
cobrajet.msq
current msq
(285.43 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
ashford
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ashford »

those settings should work it seems you need to adjust min/max angles till you get a relevant reading.

display a gauge that shows vvt1 angle, on vvt1 adjust the min angle( keep the max angle around 50* higher than min) till you get a sane reading on the vvt1 angle gauge( should be between 0 and 50) if you get much past 30 or so on the min angle you probably needed to go the other direction. in this case you could use 350 as a replacement for -10
TonyR85
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by TonyR85 »

This issue has been resolved. Changed the intake hall sensor pull up resistor to 1k from 10k.

Thanks,
Tony