Gen 1 Haldex controlled through the pro

Testing and development of Megasquirt 3

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

nathanhardy
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: Gen 1 Haldex controlled through the pro

Post by nathanhardy »

Would you be so kind to share some of the details/pictures. To a noob with can
98 VW golf gti vr6 turbo 8:5:1 cr ported and polished full ferrea race valves train 276 cams custom short runner intake Borge 366 sx-e turbo forge wossner pistons, balanced rotating mass, limited slip 6 speed deka 750Lbs injectors on ms3pro completed AWD swap
nathanhardy
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by nathanhardy »

I just confirmed it with my friend I will have access to a genuine copy from the Volkswagen Audi motor sport team and we should be able to derive the Can coding from not software..i'll send you a PM with my contact information as soon as I can I'm on call this weekend
98 VW golf gti vr6 turbo 8:5:1 cr ported and polished full ferrea race valves train 276 cams custom short runner intake Borge 366 sx-e turbo forge wossner pistons, balanced rotating mass, limited slip 6 speed deka 750Lbs injectors on ms3pro completed AWD swap
nathanhardy
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by nathanhardy »

Bummer I just read it wrong sorry
doubas
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by doubas »

nathanhardy wrote:
So have you had to modify the internals of the controller or are you using 100% OEM stock controller if so I'm gonna talk to my buddy that has the Audi motorsport commands which I believe are can code signals if I understand correctly
No by using the arduino, I bypassed the haldex controller, only used its stepper motor. I know it is the easy way, I don't like it, but for the moment it is the only solution I found; Having a list of can commands for the haldex is AWSOME, been searching about this for months!!!
Successfully installed and ran fully sequential MS3x on VW Mk4 1.8t, AGU engine T3T4'd. :D
Engine/Body harness wiring expert.
Noob tuner.
DIY'er.
doubas
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by doubas »

And for anyone who needs it, this is how it has been connected;
Also this is the link for the code I used: "https://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/MotorKnob".
Attachments
Fritzing-Pot-Stepper_Cropped.png
Fritzing-Pot-Stepper_Cropped.png (78.56 KiB) Viewed 1019 times
Successfully installed and ran fully sequential MS3x on VW Mk4 1.8t, AGU engine T3T4'd. :D
Noob tuner.
DIY'er.
nathanhardy
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by nathanhardy »

Yeah but I don't think it's gonna do any good until we can figure out a way to communicate with the stock can device with mega squirt... at the same time though bypassing the oem will work probably just as well it's just not where I want to be ultimately I would like mega squirt to communicate with the OEM can and just eliminate the steering angle sensor, the yaw sensor and wheel slip... or at least get it to where we can turn those sensors on if we decide to use an input output board to operate them. I'm not really Familiar with the Andrino and these electronic components but I did order them back when Keith was helping out. I've tried to PM him with no luck i'm hoping to get the code from my body but I talk to him when I thought we had at communicating through that stock can device so he may not be is on board to give it out as he would've be if it was a plug-and-play...
nathanhardy
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by nathanhardy »

Thank you for the information
doubas
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by doubas »

I am 100% sure that the we can control the HALDEX by CAN without the need of any sensor or ABS, it has been done before. So if you can get the CAN messages IDs from your buddy, I can design a standalone device that connects between MS and HALDEX.
Also, once I get my hand on an AWD running vehicle, I will try and sniff the CAN code again, but until then, I think our only hope is your buddy.
Noob tuner.
DIY'er.
nathanhardy
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by nathanhardy »

I'm sure he can be persuaded it's just one of those things where he got really lucky to get it and when it gets out he wants to be a part of it! Since he's kinda been the founding father with haldex sway he's yellowslc on the vortex.
doubas
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by doubas »

I've came across few posts from him, boy he has what we want, never thought of contacting him. How does he mean "part of it" ?? I can put his name on the LCD lol!!!
Noob tuner.
DIY'er.
KeithBoden
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by KeithBoden »

Sorry for dropping off for a while. I'm a fan of skipping the Haldex controller and running the stepper motor, pumps, etc. directly from a microcontroller using CAN messages from the MS3 for data (VSS, TPS, etc.) and Tunerstudio for tuning. I think that gives you the best flexibility and no limitations of the stock controller. I need to get back to working on my AVR class files for communicating with MS3 over the can bus. I have it mostly working but ran into a slight problem (http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 22&t=67803) and need to figure out if I have something coded wrong or get back to LT401Vette with some logs.

Once I have that worked out, we can finalize hardware and figure out what code needs to run on the microcontroller.
Camaro, Mark IV aluminum big block Chevy, 8.8l, Procharger F1-R @ 12psi, MS3Pro
doubas
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by doubas »

Going back to commands sent to Haldex Controller, I just found out that it needs the following data in order to make decisions:
- Engine speed (RPM)
- Accelerator pedal position
- Engine torque
from ECU and:
- Wheel speeds
- Longitudinal acceleration
- Brake operation
from ABS Control Module.
HTH
Noob tuner.
DIY'er.
doubas
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by doubas »

KeithBoden, any updates? I saw your posts on another forum and I appreciate your efforts. Would you mind posting or pm the Arduino code?
Noob tuner.
DIY'er.
KeithBoden
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by KeithBoden »

I'm onboard for working on this as a device that controls the hardware directly, is tuned through TunerStudio and communicates with the MegaSquirt ECU via CAN as opposed to a device that sends messages to the existing Haldex controller. Some of the code I've been working on is focused on the TunerStudio protocols, both serial (when you hook up via USB) and CAN pass through (when you are USB/serial into the ECU and the ECU communicates to the device via CAN). I have a pretty good handle on the tuning parameters, but haven't written anything that would run on the controller to do the actual work (run the stepper motor, cycle the relief solenoid, read the temperature and brake inputs). Some of that will depend on who wants to try this out on their car and on what hardware we settle on. I'll PM you to work through some of that if you are interested.

Screenshot of TunerStudio with the tuning parameters I think would make for a good first version of a controller:
Attachments
TunerStudio-TunerDiff.png
TunerStudio-TunerDiff.png (244.98 KiB) Viewed 930 times
Camaro, Mark IV aluminum big block Chevy, 8.8l, Procharger F1-R @ 12psi, MS3Pro
doubas
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by doubas »

In for testing, most required hardware are available..
Noob tuner.
DIY'er.
mega_user
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by mega_user »

Here is some information about a Haldex controller:

http://www.ecumaster.com/wp/wp-content/ ... nualEN.pdf
doubas
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by doubas »

Good info but only for EMU hardware
Noob tuner.
DIY'er.
mega_user
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by mega_user »

This is how their controller works.
doubas
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by doubas »

Just a try to revive that old thread, managed to control the haldex position via a variable resistor or buttons with lcd with a simple arduino, but not satisfied, still waiting for Keith updates!!
Noob tuner.
DIY'er.