More than 24 CAN ADC

Testing and development of Megasquirt 3

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

nvr2fst
Helpful MS/Extra'er

More than 24 CAN ADC

Post by nvr2fst »

Additional CAN ADC inputs Pretty please. I only need a few additional but I am out of CAN channels and could really use the extras too monitor suspension travel sensors.
Is it possible in the software or is it a hardware limitation?
Reverant
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: More than 24 CAN ADC

Post by Reverant »

It is very possible but not quite easy. I did this for the 1.2.x firmware, and I added a lot more in fact (total 48 analog channels, 16 digital inputs, 24 outputs).

The CAN code is not the actual problem, the tricky thing is rewriting all the relevant code sections that use all these extra inputs/outputs.
The man behind MS Labs
2005 Audi A3 2.0L TFSI DSG AWD - Extreme MS3
2002 Mazda Miata 1.8 6sp - Enhanced MS3 1.4.0, sequential injection, sequential ignition, big turbo, lots of boost
nvr2fst
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by nvr2fst »

Reverant wrote:It is very possible but not quite easy. I did this for the 1.2.x firmware, and I added a lot more in fact (total 48 analog channels, 16 digital inputs, 24 outputs).

The CAN code is not the actual problem, the tricky thing is rewriting all the relevant code sections that use all these extra inputs/outputs.
Ah, I see. Hopefully it is something that can be done for next release. It is a real bottleneck on my setup now. I have all the devices that can send data but the ECU doesn't have any available CAN ports to log them.
Reverant
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Reverant »

The biggest problem right now is that we don't have any space left in the "outpc" data structure that holds all the variables that are being reported/logged to TunerStudio. So even if the 24 channels could be doubled, there would be nowhere to put them so that TunerStudio can see them. To fix this, additional coding is required (but has to be done anyway as we want to be able to log other data as well).
The man behind MS Labs
2005 Audi A3 2.0L TFSI DSG AWD - Extreme MS3
2002 Mazda Miata 1.8 6sp - Enhanced MS3 1.4.0, sequential injection, sequential ignition, big turbo, lots of boost
nvr2fst
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by nvr2fst »

Reverant wrote:The biggest problem right now is that we don't have any space left in the "outpc" data structure that holds all the variables that are being reported/logged to TunerStudio. So even if the 24 channels could be doubled, there would be nowhere to put them so that TunerStudio can see them. To fix this, additional coding is required (but has to be done anyway as we want to be able to log other data as well).
Looging everything at once is nice but not always needed. In the meantime, couldnt I log the channel internally when needed to buy time until Tunerstudio could catch up?
Can I pay someone to add a few more channels? I am currently 2 short to get to where I need to be.

-Josh
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

A request that Dimitris has made previously could help with this (I believe.)

If the EGT system could receive directly from the CAN EGT without using the CAN ADCs system, you'd save 8 channels right away.

Jean told me a long while ago that he had created firmware for the CAN EGT that used regular CAN broadcasts that would be easy for the MS3 to receive. Unfortunately, the people he sent it to for testing haven't got back to him. I'll drop him an email.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

jsmcortina wrote:Jean told me a long while ago that he had created firmware for the CAN EGT that used regular CAN broadcasts that would be easy for the MS3 to receive. Unfortunately, the people he sent it to for testing haven't got back to him. I'll drop him an email.
Yeah, that was ready more than 2 tears ago. But it remains untested.

Actually, it would be interesting to be able to have the MS3 able to receive regular CAN broadcasts for the entire datax structure in the same raw data format. You could then expand on this over what is currently available.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
nvr2fst
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by nvr2fst »

racingmini_mtl wrote:
jsmcortina wrote:Jean told me a long while ago that he had created firmware for the CAN EGT that used regular CAN broadcasts that would be easy for the MS3 to receive. Unfortunately, the people he sent it to for testing haven't got back to him. I'll drop him an email.

Actually, it would be interesting to be able to have the MS3 able to receive regular CAN broadcasts for the entire datax structure in the same raw data format. You could then expand on this over what is currently available.

Jean
That would be awesome! Let me know if you want me to test.

-Josh
nvr2fst
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by nvr2fst »

jsmcortina wrote:A request that Dimitris has made previously could help with this (I believe.)

If the EGT system could receive directly from the CAN EGT without using the CAN ADCs system, you'd save 8 channels right away.

Jean told me a long while ago that he had created firmware for the CAN EGT that used regular CAN broadcasts that would be easy for the MS3 to receive. Unfortunately, the people he sent it to for testing haven't got back to him. I'll drop him an email.

James

Hi James,
Any update on this?
brianj5600
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by brianj5600 »

What are you using be able to run that you can run that many adc's?
1967 Mustang Coupe, 351w, S475 turbo, MS3.0 3x, c4, 8.8, ls coils, e85
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

racingmini_mtl wrote:

Jean
Could the (T)IOx be set up to log to disk / SD card / thumb drive ... ? Out the serial port, through a USB adaptor, down the stairs and into a tunnel, arriving at some sort of logger thing?
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems