Serial protocol for mini dashboard

Testing and development of Megasquirt 3

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

robs
Master MS/Extra'er

Serial protocol for mini dashboard

Post by robs »

I built a mini-dashboard for MS2. One person has asked if it would work with MS3. I believe it will, since the serial protocol is the same, but I don't have an MS3 to test it with. Thought I would ask here. In particular, is the MS3 ready to respond to raw "Q" queries and CRC wrapped "r" packets from the moment it boots? That's all I'm using, so hoping the answer is yes. If there's some sort of "door knock" required to prepare the MS3, I'd be grateful for an outline or a pointer to some documentation.

Have fun,

Rob.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Re: Serial protocol for mini dashboard

Post by jsmcortina »

The MS2 serial code was derived from MS3. The core protocol is the same. The size of outpc and the data it holds is of course different.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
robs
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by robs »

Many thanks James. Not a surprise, but I'm glad to hear it. Should be a doddle (cut to next scene with tufts of hair on floor).

Have fun,

Rob.
robs
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by robs »

A related question...

Is afr1_old a useful AFR value? I like the fact it's near the beginning of the OutputChannels, in amongst all the most important values. The mini-dashboard retrieves all desired values with one "r" request. To get at "afr1" in the same request as "rpm" involves getting a whole lot of other values; takes time and uses scarce RAM on the dashboard. If afr1_old is ok to use, that's good.

It would be possible to redesign the dashboard polling to submit multiple requests. More inclined to leave it alone though.

Have fun,

Rob.
MWPau
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by MWPau »

robs wrote:Should be a doddle...
Have fun :)
Parsing the completely ridiculous firmware INI file is the hardest bit.
Toyota Celica GT4/Alltrac with 5S-GTE stroker (2.2L I4 turbo, high CR) on E85 w/FlexFuel.
MS3 + MS3X + KnockBoard + RTC + BT + DIY CAN-IO-Board + DIY CAN Digital Dash.
robs
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by robs »

Dashboard looks like it works fine with MS3.

Because MS3 is under active development, I wonder if there's any way of knowing from the signature string whether the OutputChannels have changed. It's a small extra hassle updating the dashboard config when you update your MS3 and, at least sometimes, the only thing that needed to change on the dashboard was the signature.

I think I read somewhere that a "signatures match up to the first dot" rule would do the trick, but whether this was in B&G world, MS2/Extra or just my own little fantasy, I don't know. Is there a rule?

Have fun,

Rob.