Need some advice MS3x Mopar COP start up

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

jleilich
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Need some advice MS3x Mopar COP start up

Post by jleilich »

Hi folks I'm pretty much a noob around here. I've had a few posts in the past but i'm finally to the point of start up on my 70 Cuda. Everything seems to be hooked up correctly. I'm cranking the engine but no fire.

Here is my comp log, it seems to be reading my cam and crank sensors ok and I have no sync errors. one thing i noticed here is they seem offset from each other. Should the cam be centered on the crank? Looking for advice on where to go from here.

Background on the car. This is spark only right now, i'm still using the carb. I started the instal project on a running driving car just about a month ago so fuel system is good. I'm using LS coils, Jeep cam sensor and a hall crank sensor (diy autotune) with a 36-1 wheel.
1970 Cuda 440. MS3X
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Re: Need some advice MS3x Mopar COP start up

Post by jsmcortina »

That looks good. You can either use "Poll level" for the cam or "Rising" or "Falling"

Start out with the engine set to semi-sequential and wasted-COP. Get the engine to fire up and idle.

THEN enable full COP. If it fires then dies, you are 360 deg out of phase and can fix it in software.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
jleilich
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by jleilich »

Ok thanks, good advice, Ill give it a go.
1970 Cuda 440. MS3X
jleilich
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by jleilich »

Still nothing, doesnt seem to want to fire at all. Assuming everything is wired correctly, should I get some sort of spark? If I do the old pull a plug and check for spark trick will i get a light just like if I had a distributor on it?
1970 Cuda 440. MS3X
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

jleilich wrote:Still nothing, doesnt seem to want to fire at all. Assuming everything is wired correctly, should I get some sort of spark? If I do the old pull a plug and check for spark trick will i get a light just like if I had a distributor on it?
Try using test mode to see if the plugs are firing.
Megasquirt is not for use on pollution controlled vehicles. Any advice I give is for off road use only.
jleilich
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by jleilich »

thanks, yes I think test mode is my next step.
1970 Cuda 440. MS3X
jleilich
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by jleilich »

Got her going, thanks for the advice guys. Cam sensor was 180 out. Flipped it around, re-checked everything, gave it a squirt of starting fluid (its cold out and no choke) and she fired right up.
1970 Cuda 440. MS3X