Honda d17a2 ms3 rpm issue

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

EM2CIVIC
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Honda d17a2 ms3 rpm issue

Post by EM2CIVIC »

Hello i'm new here and this is my first megasquirt build.

I've been having a hard time trying to get the rpm gauge to work on tunerstudio. I'm planning to wire the ms3 parallel to my stock ecu, and right now I just have the crank position sensor connected. I believe the car uses a hall effect sensor even though the msextra manual says that my engine uses a vr sensor. Does any one have any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Honda d17a2 ms3 rpm issue

Post by billr »

If there is any uncertainty about what type the CKP sensor is, provide some details so we can help verify. A common P/N for the sensor, like from Standard Motor Products would do; or the model (Civic?) and year Honda this is out of. Engine size and config too, if there were optional engines.
EM2CIVIC
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by EM2CIVIC »

billr wrote:If there is any uncertainty about what type the CKP sensor is, provide some details so we can help verify. A common P/N for the sensor, like from Standard Motor Products would do; or the model (Civic?) and year Honda this is out of. Engine size and config too, if there were optional engines.
Its a 2002 Honda civic ex. 1.7L

The sensor uses a signal wire a ground and a 12v power source like a hall effect sensor would. This guy scoped them http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 91&t=46322
EM2CIVIC
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by EM2CIVIC »

The sync loss counter on tunerstudio shows 0 but the lost sync reason gauge shows reason 86 and I cannot find any information on that code.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

I'm pretty sure that this wheel pattern requires crank and cam to be connected or it will never sync up.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
EM2CIVIC
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by EM2CIVIC »

I finally bought the expansion board and it doesn't seem to be working. The composite logger doesn't show anything for the cam input, the pots are adjusted 6 turns counter-clockwise and JP7 does not have a jumper. Is it because i'm using the free version of tuner studio? I don't want to pay for the full version until I know for sure that this megasquirt works.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

No JP7 means there has to be a pull-up in the sensor or wiring. Are you sure there is such an external one? My recollection is that Hall sensors require only one pot to be about mid-way, the other being fully CCW. The TS version has no influence on this issue, TS Lite will work.
EM2CIVIC
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by EM2CIVIC »

I got full rpm sync now, I had to adjust the zero crossing to 1.1 volts for the cam input. But now the engine seems to only be firing on one cylinder.
I wired coil 2 to cylinder 1, coil B to 2 coil C to 3 and coil D to 4, My firing order is 1342 so i made coil A fire first C second B third and D fourth. Do I have it wired wrong ?
EM2CIVIC
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by EM2CIVIC »

Thanks for the help every one it really meant a lot to me
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

It looks like the sync is OK - do you have a normal data log?
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
EM2CIVIC
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by EM2CIVIC »

Matt Cramer wrote:It looks like the sync is OK - do you have a normal data log?

Sorry my last post kinda sounded sarcastic, but i had everything running thanks to the support of diyautotune and this forum.
EM2CIVIC
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by EM2CIVIC »

Now it has a new issue, the engine wont rev past 4000 rpm. If i force the engine past 5000 rpm it will run fine. It doesn't have an issue in neutral though only when the engine is under load. Cylinder number 2 also randomly misfires or doesnt fire at all , but it doesnt happen in these logs. It was showing lost sync reason 86 and 87 i have no idea what that means? could my crank position sensor be broken or do i just need to readjust my pots?
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

You've got a "cliff" in the VE table where the VE is more than doubling, sending fueling through the roof.
EM2CIVIC
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by EM2CIVIC »

I added a knock sensor and went from 210cc injectors to 310cc at the same time so I wasnt really sure. I didn't expect over fueling to feel like a rev limiter though i thought it would have just bogged down. Thanks for the help
EM2CIVIC
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by EM2CIVIC »

every thing was going well but now im only running on one cylinder it it shows lost sync reason 87 but i cant find any information about reason 87.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

A lot of the codes aren't very specific, other than "the signal isn't what the code expects." Can you post a tooth and a composite log of the new loss of sync issue?
EM2CIVIC
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by EM2CIVIC »

i have a composite log but i have to wait for it to loose sync again to start a tooth logger.
It only happens when i stall it and start it, I accidentally stalled it while making a u turn and then it was only firing one cylinder and i was holding up cars haha it was so embarrassing.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

A loss of sync on startup is pretty common as this is the hardest time to sync up, but normally it should remain synced after it syncs up successfully.
EM2CIVIC
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by EM2CIVIC »

I noticed that im stalling the car a lot now, I have to rise the rpms a lot more then I use to. Do I need to raise my idle? Its really pissing me off its so hard to hill start now I basically have to launch or let the clutch slip, I stalled it 5 times today. when it stalls and a restarts it fires on one cylinder and wont fully start until I floor it.