sync loss at startup

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

sync loss at startup

Post by Yves »

Was doing some fine tuning with regards to engine startup. Noticed a drop in rpm right after the engine fired and reached normal rpm, like it missed a beat and then picked up. The only thing that I see happening at that point is this is exactly the point that I let go of the key and the battery voltage goes back up again.

Is this some sort of noise or something else.

Msq and log attached.
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: sync loss at startup

Post by grom_e30 »

its at the same point as you went from half sync to full sync
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

grom_e30 wrote:its at the same point as you went from half sync to full sync
didn't notice that. Thanks.
So this is camshaft sensor related. Any thing that can be done ? I use the halve moon type there.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Try changing the "Check at tooth #" (presently is 0) in trigger/tooth settings.
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

See attached log.

It didn't want to start with it on 1.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

That 0 to 1 may be right at the edge of the cam "moon". Try some numbers quite a bit different, like 90, to try moving the interrogate moment way out into the on or off zone.
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

billr wrote:That 0 to 1 may be right at the edge of the cam "moon". Try some numbers quite a bit different, like 90, to try moving the interrogate moment way out into the on or off zone.
Just asking, but wouldn't that potentially screw up my ignition timing ?
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Maybe, depending on how close the cam wheel edge is to the present 0 setting. Maybe just that move to 1 degree put you in the wrong engine cycle phase. Use wasted-COP until you get this sorted out if you are worried. That will maintain ignition timing regardless of what the CMP is doing.
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

I'm unsure what to think of what happened. I remember setting these according the manual instructions for a toothed crank wheel and half moon type cam wheel. The instructions said something that the engine should have been set on the number one tooth and then the cam sensor should be at about 1/2 the relevant open/closed section of the half moon wheel. I remember that I had to turn back the engine to tooth 1 and then set the cam sensor so it was half way a half moon section, then measure what output I had. This was the way I did it. I set all the parameters as described in the manual and left the "0" setting as it was (untouched).
I would think that when the engine would be at tooth "0" the cam sensor should be half way on the half moon and so it should be on the edge of the half moon. I could do de facto check after som disassembly, but it just seems odd to me.

Thanks for helping.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

My perception is that detection in the "poll level" (half-moon) mode has changed at one point. Also, I think that "check at tooth#" is a fairly recent addition. I have posted before asking for clarification on some of this, but couldn't comprehend the answers so dropped my inquiry. Got it? I'm confused too, just trying to help you think it through.
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

post a comp log
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

billr wrote:My perception is that detection in the "poll level" (half-moon) mode has changed at one point. Also, I think that "check at tooth#" is a fairly recent addition. I have posted before asking for clarification on some of this, but couldn't comprehend the answers so dropped my inquiry. Got it? I'm confused too, just trying to help you think it through.
Ok, thanks Bill. Your help is appreciated. I don't understand it completly either.
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

grom_e30 wrote:post a comp log
Ok, will do so asap.
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

ha, I tried making logs today, but of course it doesn't want to do it again. Kinda strange. Only difference is that I charged the battery. Could this be involved somehow ?
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

my guess is that low battery was causing it to crank slower and the engine started before it saw cam sensor, you had the stumble as the ecu switched over to sequential after detecting the cam signal
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

grom_e30 wrote:my guess is that low battery was causing it to crank slower and the engine started before it saw cam sensor, you had the stumble as the ecu switched over to sequential after detecting the cam signal
Ok, so effectively nothing to worry about.
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

its nothing major. but if you post the comp log of the engine running you may get some advice on the best place to set you ecu to look for the cam sensor. it could be that the ecu is looking for it at a time where its harder to spot.
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

Attached the logs I made today.
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

comp log does not work for me
Yves
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Yves »

I hadn't checked, but apparently for me either :?: Don't know why it didn't work. Will try to make a new one in the following days.