MS3 update (Apr 09)

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: MS3 update (Apr 09)

Post by prof315 »

This sucker sounds AWSOME! any idea of a release date and price?
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

prof315 wrote:This sucker sounds AWSOME! any idea of a release date and price?
Did you read Bruce's post? It has answers to both questions.

Ken
Megasquirt is not for use on pollution controlled vehicles. Any advice I give is for off road use only.
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

I have read it now... can't wait this is going to be ideal for motor swap guys who want to keep most of the creature comforts/ drivablity/emissions.
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!
Paul_VR6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Paul_VR6 »

Bruce thanks for the update, and at even more then 2x MS2 it still seems like a stellar deal with built in SD and USB. I've been on the fence on buying a separate logger more times then once, and for quite a bit more money!
-Paul
1992 Corrado SLC 3.6 VR6 11.38@120 - MS3 Pro Ultimate - Microsquirt I/O - Can EGT - Racepak IQ3s
kptuned.com - Megasquirting the World! Megasquirt Sales, Service, Tuning and More!
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

At the meet I showed a short video of me testing out my proof of concept MS3 prototype.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nql6iyS6TBc

This is on a V8 with coil on plug.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
KaPower
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by KaPower »

^^^ I'am sure that thing sounds unbelievable in person!
vinister
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by vinister »

wow, I am exceedingly excited! can't wait! I've been wanting to go full sequential with COP, but I'm definitely going to wait, it sounds like its going to be a fairly easy transition. usb, sd logging, its all wonderful!
mxmang
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by mxmang »

hey boys...

so is the board going to be able to handle adequate ammounts of amperage through the traces ? it sounds like the board is mostly for digital signal switching etc...not really so much power distrobution....

any thoughts on this?

is it going to use the standard VR input?

is most of the new processing power to get the ignition decoding etc straightened out for a lot more resolution ?

this is really all very exciting! I'd love to test one since i finally have a daily and a project car, and just think the best possible bad condition test... german car german wiring chevy sensors aftermarket 60-2 coilpacks and the whole nine...haha

Good luck! :)
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

mxmang wrote:hey boys...

so is the board going to be able to handle adequate ammounts of amperage through the traces ? it sounds like the board is mostly for digital signal switching etc...not really so much power distrobution....

any thoughts on this?
The board that holds the cpu and the SD card is only for digital signal switching. The ms3 expander is for the high-current stuff, and it should be able to handle the load no problem.
is it going to use the standard VR input?
Yes, although it should be able to be used with the intellitach when that comes out.
is most of the new processing power to get the ignition decoding etc straightened out for a lot more resolution ?
Not exactly... the XGATE will be used in 2.0 for the angle clock, which will be more accurate, but will also get rid of output jitter. The processing power will also be used for incorporating more model-based features like X-tau/EAE are.

Ken
Megasquirt is not for use on pollution controlled vehicles. Any advice I give is for off road use only.
amcmike

Post by amcmike »

jsmcortina wrote:At the meet I showed a short video of me testing out my proof of concept MS3 prototype.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nql6iyS6TBc

This is on a V8 with coil on plug.

James
Wow, a Turbo 5.3L in a little Capri... that is sick! We should call you Dr. Frankenstein.
Joe
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Joe »

muythaibxr wrote:Yes, although it should be able to be used with the intellitach when that comes out.
Another new word.

I had just finished the presentation hosted on the diyautotune site when I discovered this new technology.

Will this be incorperated in the MS3 board or is this another add in processor??

Joe-
78 Chev 4x4 MS3. Microsquit 4l80E (Toy Hauler/Beta test rig )
70 AAR Cuda -Hanger queen- 340 MS3 Seq- XV Level II
BowlingSuperior
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by BowlingSuperior »

Joe wrote: Another new word.

I had just finished the presentation hosted on the diyautotune site when I discovered this new technology.

Will this be incorperated in the MS3 board or is this another add in processor??

Joe-
The Intellitach is a totally separate unit. It is designed to help installations that are having VR/hall pickup issues. Its designed for a case-by-case situation as needed - if you do not have tach issues then you do not need Intellitach.

So, no its not incorporated directly on MS3, but can be added externally if you need it.

- Bruce
arlo#1
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by arlo#1 »

So I have been doing some serious reading and from what I gathered full on traction control is not an option for ms3 but what does that meen? I am ready to build a ecu for my second car and I want launch/flatshift and traction control even if it is a crude feture like an engine aceleration limit. I am hoping two wheel speed sensors into the ecu and haveing it control timing and or boost is possible for ms3. If so I will be geting a full ms3 kit and a ms3 processor upgrade :-) 8-)
Its finaly on the road! Self Custom Made 440 Road Runner efi. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=974YsInWxhQ ms2extra 2.1.01 code
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

I am sure we could do something like that technically. I am not sure where that fits in our software roadmap, but i am sure we will get to it at some point.
arlo#1
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by arlo#1 »

muythaibxr wrote:I am sure we could do something like that technically. I am not sure where that fits in our software roadmap, but i am sure we will get to it at some point.

SO would this be somehting that reads wheel speed senors? I am sure just reading one from drive wheels and one from non drive wheels for a total of 2 inputs would do a very nice job. other wise a 5 volt circut that gets pulled low could be the input that ms3 sees. And what hooks to the wheels could be a little modudal that compares speeds and just sends a 12 volt signal to the 5v circut or a ground to the 5v circut. Kinda like what I did for my launch control. And now that I am thinking that If we just had to build a box that did the work then sent a signal to ms you could use the input for knock sensing so when there is wheel spin the ms3 thinks its knock and pulls timing and or boost back. Man I am getting excited! :-) My srt-4 has major wheel spin problems in 1st and second and is the only reason I lost to my buddys 2008 evo( I was pulling him in the whole 1/4) But I would realy hope we can have speed sensors fed strait to ms3.
Its finaly on the road! Self Custom Made 440 Road Runner efi. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=974YsInWxhQ ms2extra 2.1.01 code
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

We could probably make doing that with 2 wheel sensors an option.

We're going to be pretty busy with bigger things for 1.0 and 2.0 though, so I'm not sure how much time we'll be able to spend on something like traction control until post 2.0. Getting sequential working with the ms3x board will probably take me 1-2 weeks by itself, and that's only after we make sure all of ms2/extra's features are working, and get ms2-standard's couple of features merged back in.

2.0's angle clock will probably take another 2 or 3 weeks to finish, and 2 or 3 weeks after that for testing.

So we have a lot of work to do before we can start integrating user requests again!

Ken
UnaClocker
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by UnaClocker »

Awesome job guys. Where do I sign up for the beta tester's waiting list? I look back fondly on my memories of MS2-Extra alpha testing.. :)
Brian
'84 Dodge Rampage
kelv
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by kelv »

new boards look sweet, any thoughts how to handle moisture ingress through the usb connector?
Bulgin do some nice IP68 usb connectors... The conector and the IP rated cap
Though the cutout area might be a bit big (not looked at front panel size).
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

kelv wrote:new boards look sweet, any thoughts how to handle moisture ingress through the usb connector?
Bulgin do some nice IP68 usb connectors... The conector and the IP rated cap
Though the cutout area might be a bit big (not looked at front panel size).
As the case is not sealed, I'd recommend simply mounting it where moisture will not reach the USB connector. If you're using it on a sand rail or other application that doesn't exactly have a waterproof spot in the passenger compartment, I'd put the ECU in a waterproof box.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
KaPower
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by KaPower »

Can we get a progress update? Do we have USB communication? SD card stuff... hardware testing... PCB case enclosures... production info... Very impatient here, sorry!

-JM